Mark Mancina's TWISTER (1996) - Expanded Archival Collection (La-La Land 2017)

Richard Penna

Oh!  I just saw that there actually is a different update on their site, that I missed before:

UPDATE:

Due to overwhelming in-person turnout, Mr. Mancina was unable to sign all of the pre-ordered CDs on the day of the event. He has graciously agreed to sign the remaining orders, and they’ve been express-shipped to his studio for him to sign, and we’ll be filling orders in the order they were received as soon as we receive them back from Mr. Mancina. We thank you for your patience, but refunds are available for customers who do not wish to wait. We’ll post more information in this space as updates become available. Thanks to everyone for helping make this a great event!

So I guess there's no way to tell when that will actually be.  Bummer.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/24/2017 at 0:27 PM, Trent B said:

It may seem like a better "listening experience" to swap tracks 2 and 3 around but it won't be in film order any more.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

:)

I'd much rather move a couple of cues and sound better, than be in film order.

I've been listening to Twister with those 2 tracks swapped every time I listened to it, and its great!  High recommended change for your personal playlists.

Great news! I saw a couple weeks ago that they were also getting other Mancina scores signed so I went ahead and ordered Speed, which will be entirely new to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I like his Planes scores very much!

This is a great release I return to often.  So glad it happened!

I've been absolutely hooked on the extended Waterspouts - that section with only the strings (presumably under dialogue) is addictive.

I'm starting to get used to this score being chronological. At one point I considered moving a few tracks around, such as Dorothy IV to before House Visit. Except for omitting some key tracks, I think Mancina did a really good job arranging the album.

I think this presentation flows better than the original album's.

I also really, REALLY appreciate having his full end credits cue - it wraps up the score perfectly!  I don't really listen to the Van Halen version of the end credits much.

For me it's not just the meandering nature but that the entire cue is dominated by it.

I can understand (and by understand, I don't mean 'support') that they wanted to feature Van Halen prominently... but for 9 minutes, over footage of clouds? Why not a song followed by a nice credits piece by Mancina?

I understand how you might say "Respect the Wind" doesn't fit with the rest of the score -- it was written by Van Halen after all - but I think it's great, both as a piece of music and as an end to the score.

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this thread.

I had been waiting on this advent for, well decades, obviously.  I'm happy that this album now exists.  It fills almost every gap in what I consider to be my favorite score of all time.

Conspicuously missing is this variant of Drive-In Twister.  It's definitely the one I wanted the most.  Yes, it's just a variant of an earlier track.  But it was such a perfect fit for that moment in the movie.

No real hope of isolating the track from the movie itself, either, since the whole soundscape is so busy.  Oh well.

They didn't just ask Bob to come in and change up the track without Mancina's knowledge.  He did that.  May as well be scoffing at the idea of arbitrarily having different takes on Wheatfield.

13 minutes ago, Asterra said:

They didn't just ask Bob to come in and change up the track without Mancina's knowledge.  He did that.  May as well be scoffing at the idea of arbitrarily having different takes on Wheatfield.

What's arbitrary about including both the actual take from the film, and the one chosen for the original album?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

What's arbitrary about including both the actual take from the film, and the one chosen for the original album?

Precisely the point of my comparison.  There's little value in dismissing a track for its transparent lack of variety when it is nonetheless fully legitimized as a presence in the movie itself.

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2017 at 3:46 AM, Asterra said:

Pretty sure that's exactly what music editors do all the time if they can't get the composer to make the change.

Probably some library percussion in this case. And if it's not a legitimate alternate cue by the composer, and isn't for a pivotal scene/moment, I doubt a label is going to recreate it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 01/06/2017 at 9:41 PM, Asterra said:

Resurrecting this thread.

I had been waiting on this advent for, well decades, obviously.  I'm happy that this album now exists.  It fills almost every gap in what I consider to be my favorite score of all time.

Conspicuously missing is this variant of Drive-In Twister.  It's definitely the one I wanted the most.  Yes, it's just a variant of an earlier track.  But it was such a perfect fit for that moment in the movie.

No real hope of isolating the track from the movie itself, either, since the whole soundscape is so busy.  Oh well.

Not only that track wasn't released but also the opening music cue was missing as well. but, i doubt that Mark Mancina still has them in his library.

On 01/06/2017 at 10:48 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

It's extremely manly to drive around while listening to this.

It's my go to score when driving in the rain. 

49 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

It's my go to score when driving in the rain. 

It’s my go to score when driving past cornfields.

Listened to this score for the first time today.

I LOVE IT!

I haven't really been listening to much of Mancina's music. But after The Sea Beast I thought I'd check some stuff out. This is terrific!

21 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Listened to this score for the first time today.

I LOVE IT!

I haven't really been listening to much of Mancina's music. But after The Sea Beast I thought I'd check some stuff out. This is terrific!

Give "Planes" a listen then. A much, much better score than you'd expect for a direct-to-DVD Disney movie. The sequel score is basically more of the same, with my main regret being that the main title track wasn't a completely new recording, but instead the original track with a few newly recorded overlays.

2 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

Give "Planes" a listen then. A much, much better score than you'd expect for a direct-to-DVD Disney movie. The sequel score is basically more of the same, with my main regret being that the main title track wasn't a completely new recording, but instead the original track with a few newly recorded overlays.

This 2 are basicly to only scores + Moana that I had from Mancina. The first Planes is great!

Planes is really awesome, one of my favorite scores of the 2010s

Twister and Speed 2 are I think his best scores though

Brother Bear is a favourite of mine. It's a shame that a score-only album was never released, but the 20 or so minutes of score on the official soundtrack are excellent. It's one of the first scores that as a kid I remember having a big impact on the scenes it accompanied, especially the tribal percussion and choir. There are some effective emotional moments as well, such as at 5:25 in this track.

16 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

my main regret being that the main title track wasn't a completely new recording, but instead the original track with a few newly recorded overlays

And yet, I listen to both! Crazy, huh? They are two of my favorite tracks of all time.

Tarzan is good, but Twister is my overall favorite Mancina by a good distance.