Why don't John Williams' orchestrators get credited in the soundtrack releases?

Will

5 hours ago, LampPost said:

To be fair "Colin Runs Off to the Circus" sounds somewhat like The Falcon so you may not be far off:

It actually doesn't remind me of the Falcon ... but wow I love it. Actually reminds me of The Float/Joy Ride. 

EDIT: I see Publicist has noted the CMIYC similarity. 

On December 31, 2016 at 3:27 AM, BloodBoal said:

Wow. Williams is a real douche.

Let's not forget some things. Firstly, John was disrespected by a name orchestra (Boston Symphony?) and he literally folded up his conductors sheet and walked off stage during practice. He's just as human as the next person, so he has his moments as do we all. (I am reminded of what Mr Rogers said: that no one can tell a phony as well as a child can. Having seen Williams my entire life, I can safely say that the "wise old gentle grandfather" thing isn't an act.)

Secondly, an interview a few years back with the former Timpani player on the LSO described John Williams as "a steel fist inside a velvet glove". Meaning the man is entirely professional and expects the best from his others when it comes to the work. It's an ethic that came from his parents generation, who struggled to make ends meet through the Great Depression and never turned down work (though this is more exemplified by Jerry Goldsmith.)

1 hour ago, Will Tasker said:

Secondly, an interview a few years back with the former Timpani player on the LSO described John Williams as "a steel fist inside a velvet glove". Meaning the man is entirely professional and expects the best from his others when it comes to the work. It's an ethic that came from his parents generation, who struggled to make ends meet through the Great Depression and never turned down work (though this is more exemplified by Jerry Goldsmith.)

I'd like to see you being punched in the face by a steel fist in a velvet glove, and then ask you how you feel about that!

17 hours ago, Jilal said:

I heard he only writes the first violin part himself and gives that to Pope and Karam these days. Right, @Prerecorded Briefing?

No, this is ridiculous.  He fires a pistol at their feet while they write down what he whistles.

• 6 years later...

Looking back on this thread as I've been returning to The Cowboys recently and was wondering who the orchestrator was. Surprise surprise, none were credited (at least as far as I can see).

Has anyone ever compiled a thread/list/spreadsheet of which orchestrators he's worked with on different projects? 

3 hours ago, ConorPower said:

Looking back on this thread as I've been returning to The Cowboys recently and was wondering who the orchestrator was. Surprise surprise, none were credited (at least as far as I can see).

Has anyone ever compiled a thread/list/spreadsheet of which orchestrators he's worked with on different projects? 

Yes!  I actually started a google doc 3 years ago to log every orchestrator used for all his projects, though haven't gone back to it since.  Thanks for the reminder that I should work on it again!

As for The Cowboys, the film itself and Varese Deluxe don't list any orchestrators, and the sheet music has never leaked, so I don't think we know who worked on that project with him.

BTW, there's been a new rule with AFM stuff recently; You might have noticed in the past year or 2 that Orchestrators/Copyists are now included on the AFM musicians list pages in specialty label titles.  So if a new edition of The Cowboys ever comes out, it will at least list who the AFM thinks orchestrated it.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes!  I actually started a google doc 3 years ago to log every orchestrator used for all his projects, though haven't gone back to it since.  Thanks for the reminder that I should work on it again!

Awesome! I'd love to see it at some stage. Having all this information compiled would be a lot of work, but it would be a wonderful way of preserving the efforts of these unsung heroes. 

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

As for the Cowboys, the film itself and Varese Deluxe don't list any orchestrators, and the sheet music has never leaked, so I don't think we know who worked on that project with him.

That's what I figured. Sad. I'd be interested to know if there was much overlap in the orchestrator's of those early westerns, or who Williams's go-to guys were in that early period. 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

BTW, there's been a new rule with AFM stuff recently; You might have noticed in the past year or 2 that Orchestrators/Copyists are now included on the AFM musicians list pages.  So if a new edition of The Cowboys ever comes out, it will at least list who the AFM thinks orchestrated it.

Oooh! I didn't know this actually. Thank! :) 

I just stumbled across this interesting exploration of some of Williams sketches for The Empire Strikes Back - Yoda's Theme, The Imperial March, and The Snow Battle