CONCERT: The Return of the King, Antwerp, 2016

bollemanneke

Here follows the account of Vincent Fernandes at the visiting of the final Lord of the Rings concert.

There's so much I want to say and I'll probably forget half of it, but nevertheless, a vain attempt:

First, the negatives: I don't know whether it was my seat, but the sound mix was definitely off at times. The Palantír music was way too soft and sometimes the choir should have sounded much louder. Also, as usual, whichever kid had to sing the Nature's Reclamation theme didn't really do an excellent job, but then again, others made tiny little mistakes as well. Oh, and can someone please explain the term 'end credits suite' to the masses?

And now the positives! The orchestra did a great job. Especially their performances of The Lighting of the Beacons and the Mouth of Sauron were extremely moving. I also loved discovering all the little things that you can't hear in the original recordings, like the mandolin/dulcimer in Into the West and the rapid violin notes in action cues. And thank God they didn't hire a man to sing René Fleming's parts. I really liked the fact that they restored so much unused music as well (the insertion of the Seduction of the Ring theme when Frodo refuses to throw the ring into the fire comes to mind), but when Faramir was walking to his doom, I was expecting a pan flute instead of a penny whistle, but that was not for me to decide, I suppose. The Shire theme's performance on flute just after the finale was excellent as well.

But the icing on the cake was, of course, yet again, Fine Fleur. Oh, my, God. What an outstanding choir this is. They really made these three concerts unforgettable. I will always remember the first time they chanted the Nazgûl music in hushed tones, and their grand entrance at the beginning of the Two Towers, when they burst into Glamdring... That's when I was in Middle Earth. Every time they sang in unison -- especially the altos and sopranos -- I was on cloud nine. And then, tonight, finally... For Frodo. MAGIC. It was so refreshing to hear a choir sing the action music without any of the annoying, operatic bravado in the original recordings, and their Siege of Gondor, Mount Doom and The Crack of Doom performances were absolutely magnificent. I'll be looking forward to the Harry Potter concert for the choir alone already, though, unfortunately, they can only ooh an aah in that score. Hopefully, one day, Home Alone...

I'm very glad to have attended all three concerts. The Lord of the Rings films will never be the same again... and let's not mention the 'advanced resolution' surround sound recordings. Fine Fleur in mono was ten times more transcendental.

Oh. Personally, I thought ROTK was the least exciting concert experience. FOTR was fantastic, but that might be because it was my first live to projection concert, and of course Glamdring from TTT was unforgettable too. But I've always found ROTK a more difficult, muddled score to appreciate.

Well, some themes are so distorted that you really have to know them to recognise them.

Oh my God, now it's getting interesting, a Dutch/Belgian guy just posted a review as well, the exact opposite of my experience...

On the Facebook event, but it's already taken down. Notsure if that's such a good idea. In a nutshell:

- His mum and him are obsessed with LOTR in an unhealthy way: mum is over 60, can't drive and wants Hobbit music in her funeral.

- They came from Holland and didn't have 50 cents to pay for the toilet.

- The Sportpaleis is an unimpressive building.

- The presenter didn't know what he was talking about.

- The children's choir sucked.

- Some soprano was 'waving her limbs listlessly' when Frodo and Sam were in Mount Doom.

- He filed a complaint after the first half, didn't get his money back but did get another seat.

- He ran away, crying!

Honestly...

On 31-12-2016 at 1:19 AM, bollemanneke said:

Oh, and can someone please explain the term 'end credits suite' to the masses?

That really pissed me off last year when I saw TTT at the Sportpaleis. Complete disrespect to the performers!

That didnt happen in De Doelen for either Fellowship or Philosophers Stone. It did a little bit with FOTR in the Concertgebouw, but that was the night of the semi-final in Brazil, so that's fair.

Hell even for the LOTR Symphony in the Sportpaleis I stayed till the very last note even though I was desperate to catch the last bus back to Antwerp station.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It did a little bit with FOTR in the Concertgebouw, but that was the night of the semi-final in Brazil, so that's fair.

Putting football above film music? That's fair? How so?

AAAAHHH! Was the symphony performed in the Sportpaleis...? With Fine Fleur? Damn! 

Also, the other reviewer I referred to earlier was making a song-and-dance about the fact that everything was transmitted through one speaker. Is that so odd for film concerts?

This was many many years ago. And I have no idea what choir.

45 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Also, the other reviewer I referred to earlier was making a song-and-dance about the fact that everything was transmitted through one speaker. Is that so odd for film concerts?

Everything, meaning what? The dialogue and sound effects from the film?

Thats why I would rather attend a concert done in a proper concert venue, rather than a sports arena. 

I pay to hear the music played live, not via a single huge BOSE speaker with a loose wire or something.

Sportpaleis sucks!