Is Hans Zimmer live on tour worth the money?

bollemanneke

Hello everyone, and a happy New Year!

Someone just offered me the chance to go to a Hans Zimmer concert in June 2017. I've heard lots of bad stuff about this tour, even read claims that POTC is apparently being performed on electric guitars now, so naturally I have my doubts.

Regardless of what people think of Zimmer's music in general here, could anyone tell me whether I should go or not? I am only interested in a faithful live performance of the music (I know it comes with electronics), but no electric guitars, no desperate efforts to make film music sound 'cool'.

Looking forward to your reactions.

I can think of several good uses of that money. Winter is coming.  I am sure you need fuel.

Or tonight is new years. Perfect time to light one up and you need paper.

There will be rains soon and you might need to paper up your attic. Might be a good use too.

Or else if you are serving deep fried empanadas, soak out the oil well before serving to guests. Bills soak well.

Or if you go camping, not glamping, you can never have enough toilet paper.

It's essentially a rock concert. So if you're expecting more traditional orchestral arrangements, it's probably not for you. But it definitely seems like an incredible experience worth it's price tag. I'd go if they came to town.

10 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Hello everyone, and a happy New Year!

Someone just offered me the chance to go to a Hans Zimmer concert in June 2017. I've heard lots of bad stuff about this tour, even read claims that POTC is apparently being performed on electric guitars now, so naturally I have my doubts.

Happy New Year!

Having been to Hans Zimmer's concerts at the Hammersmith Apollo in 2014 and again at Wembley Arena last year, I would thoroughly recommend without reservation that you seize the chance to go.  As KK mentions, it is presented in the style of a rock concert with its arena setting, big screens and (very impressive) lighting effects, but in addition to some very talented solo musicians there is also a traditional orchestra and a choir.  Even if you are not a massive Zimmer fan there is much to enjoy and no denying that he is a great showman who knows how to fill an arena.

Dare I say that Zimmer is not desperately trying to make film music sound cool so much as showing that it is cool?  If you want a 'spoiler' before deciding, check out this performance of Pirates of the Caribbean from one of the shows last year.

Hmm, I'm slowly getting interested now... I'll probably go.

INcidentally, in response to a previous post, it wasn't really about the money, I meant 'is it worth... it' in general?

I went to his first 'trial' concert in London a couple of years ago, and if the tour is anything like that one, it was fun. Definitely not a traditional orchestral concert, more of a rock concert, but either way it was very fun and definitely worth going.

(And this is from an 'on and off' Zimmer fan)

I considered it since he's playing Dublin next summer but I think I'd rather save my money as the RTÉ CO seem to be doing more and more live to projection concerts. 

Definitely seems worth the money (even if the prices are very steep) from what I've seen of clips. I've seen Zimmer live 3 times before, but not this latest 'rock' show. Looking forward to his visit here in Oslo in May. Been told I have accredition, so hopefully that's true. The only thing I'm skeptical about is the venue itself (Telenor Arena), which has received a lot of criticism for its poor sound.

The Pirates suite is my rendition of the franchise scores despite not being a classical piece.

I only watched the YouTube videos, but to me, as long as you are not expecting a classical concert, you should have a good time.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Omen II said:

This compilation video is of excellent quality!

I wasn't expecting there to be quite so much singing.  Before this all I'd watched was the Pirates suite performed at Coachella.

I can think 34678 other live performances than Hansu to attend. I love some of his

scores but playing his music live doesn´t bring any extra to his music. His orchestral

music is so bland that it can be sampled, and I also hate electric guitar. And I also

hate everything this man represent, I hate his way to talk((cheesy) and he has

ruined the film music. Period.

I was surprised to recognize the guitarist. I'm not all that familiar with his own music, but he's one hell of a player. Here's an interview from 2006 and a more recent video interview:

http://www.alloutguitar.com/interviews/guthrie-govan-interview-the-virtuosos-virtuoso

9 hours ago, Richard said:

Judging from the video clips, if you want a rock'n'roll show, then by all means go. If, however, you want quality film music, played with artistry, care, and integrity...forget it.

You pays yer money, dude...

What a stupid thing to say.

I never "started" anything, you just don't like it when someone gives you a hard time over your  occasionally questionable posts/tone, and seem to hold a grudge like a motherfucker. I think we both made an effort to be civil, but obviously it hasn't worked.  Let me just save us both the effort of interacting with each other any further, which would only be done to silently make a single point: I think you're a twat.  

If you want to engage in a silent pissing contest with other posters, from halfway around the world, that is entirely up to you.

Personally, I do not think you're a twat (I just looked the word up. :o). I have often thought your insights worthy of praise, and, contrary to what you might think, I enjoy reading them. 

I have, however, noticed that you seem to respond negatively, to my posts far more than to others'.  This is, of course, your prerogative. I have no problem with someone giving me a hard time over my posts. If I did, I would have left JWfan in a quivering wreck, a very long time ago. No; I am made of stronger stuff. By all means, criticise me to your heart's content, but, please...do with style, wit, intelligence, and humour, and  without the use of words like mother***er, and t**t. It's clearly not worthy of you. 

22 hours ago, Richard said:

Judging from the video clips, if you want a rock'n'roll show, then by all means go. If, however, you want quality film music, played with artistry, care, and integrity...forget it.

You pays yer money, dude...

This is a silly post, you silly man.

I'm not a massive Zimmer fan anymore but the concerts do look like quite a spectacle, based on some of the performances I've watched on YouTube. I wouldn't pay to go and see it but it does look like good fun.

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

His behavior when Interstellar came out was shocking.

You're overstating this of course, and I think you realize that since, at the time anyway, you expressed an understanding for my motivations with respect to your own penchant for defending Skyfall.  

It was just a matter of the film taking on a lot of BS, internet armchair film critic baggage and wanting to keep JWFan free of that so everyone would make up their mind fairly.  It was about incorrect "plothole" claims and gripes about the science, issues that had nothing to do with opinion but just a nitpicky attitude, about problems that weren't even there.

You'll note I was always very careful to make that clear - it had nothing to do with anyone's subjective opinions about the thing, and I never got into it over that.  Sure, things got heated nonetheless, and I believe some people continued to willfully ignore the baselessness of certain criticisms just to spite me... so I would not say I'm "precious" about differing opinions, but rather, prone to argument when people say things that can be argued against.

Anyway... we delivered the bomb.  

You're overstating this of course, and I think you realize that since, at the time anyway, you expressed an understanding for my motivations with respect to your own penchant for defending Skyfall.  

I didnt refer to the people who also like Skyfall, but had an issue or two with some aspects as "cunts".

I'm not overstating anything. Your behaviour towards people who "attack" your beloved films or scores can be shocking sometimes. On par with Wojo's or Gyvers.