New John Williams/Matessino 2017 Project Announcement!

Amer

Mike Matessino updated his Facebook status with the following exciting update for 2017.

'To start the year off on the right note (most literally), I'm getting in a bit of work on a John Williams score today'- Mike Matessino

https://www.facebook.com/mike.matessino?fref=ts

I'll bet that this will be an another terrific album via La La Land records. Being the 40th Anniversary of Both CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND and STAR WARS, I certainly hope its these titles along with incoming JFK & THE TOWERING INFERNO from LLL. So as 'students of film music and John Williams music we should certainly start savings because their are going to be 3 more John Williams albums this year (EPISODE 8, 2 New Sony Compilation albums with all new music)

22 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

It won't be Star Wars.

It'll be E.T.

I'll take it. But I know for sure that Matessino would love to do the original STAR WARS TRILOGY /saga all over again! 

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It'll be E.T.

That'd be my guess.

A Spielberg film, Live to Projection concerts currently running, and the film's 35th anniversary coming up this year.

Exciting times.

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Star Wars can't be done because of all the rights issue right now (Sony, Fox and shit), plus, as it's been said countless times in other threads, since Disney now owns the franchise, it's highly unlikely they'll ever give the right to do complete/expanded sets to a label. They'll prefer to do it themselves.

I'll just say..Never Say Never.  Disney would be stupid to not make an effort to capitalise on this opportunity specially now that STAR WARS mania with the new film series is running fever pitch. Its only a matter of time to rectify these deals between the labels and the studios. 

My cynical view on the matter is that Sony and LucasFilm simply don't give a shit.

They have been repackaging and reselling the same music for years and people are still buying it. As long as that model is profitable, there is no reason to invest in producing a new program with additional music.

It might be the same with the Indiana Jones scores. Laurent Bouzereau apparently fought tooth and nail to get a fifth disc with more additional music added to the Concord set.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

It might be the same with the Indiana Jones scores. Laurent Bouzereau apparently fought tooth and nail to get a fifth disc with more additional music added to the Concord set.

Exactly.

People here have a downer on Bouzereau's old releases, because they are often incomplete, not chronological or use incorrect takes. However many of these releases were done when the whole concept of an expanded score release was a very rare thing. Much less a complete and chronological one designed specifically to satisfy the needs and tastes of a very small niche of discerning customers.

Back in the day it must have been like moving the Earth to just get studio's interested in licensing such a release, or find a record company interested in releasing it. Especially if it's not for a big name franchise like Star Wars.

I'm still quite happy to have my expanded CE3K, E.T. and Indiana Jones sets, all produced by Bouzereau!

Still, I'd be happy to see an updated release that's on the same level as stuff like A.I.Jaws and the John Williams Jurassic Park Collection. :)

Excellent news, straight off one JW project and onto a new one. Seems like Williams' camp want to keep rolling through these expansions as much as we do.

I wonder what's changed in this regard?

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Excellent news, straight off one JW project and onto a new one. Seems like Williams' camp want to keep rolling through these expansions as much as we do.

I wonder what's changed in this regard?

Changed? How so. There's been a somewhat steady stream of Williams expansions for well over 20 years now.

12 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I suspect we will get both this year. 

WOULD BE GREAT! I could finally have proper recordings than the boots I have! Now I just need a complete PDF of Close Encounters to read while I listen to it complete like I have done in the past with ET!

1 hour ago, azahid said:

Mike Mattessino updated his Facebook status with the following exciting update for 2017.

'To start the year off on the right note (most literally), I'm getting in a bit of work on a John Williams score today'- Mike Mattessino

https://www.facebook.com/mike.matessino?fref=ts

I'll bet that this will be an another terrific album via La La Land records. Being the 40th Anniversary of Both CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND and STAR WARS, I certainly hope its these titles along with incoming JFK & THE TOWERING INFERNO from LLL. So as 'students of film music and John Williams music we should certainly start savings because their are going to be 3 more John Williams albums this year (EPISODE 8, 2 New Sony Compilation albums with all new music)

What if we are all wrong and it is a surprise complete version of Dracula because poof the masters where in storage all along in an unmarked box! :P

Between ET and Close Encounters, CEOT3K is the real treasure. That score is so interesting and experimental and at the same time completely lyrical. I would much prefer an expanded release of CE over ET. To me its like the difference between Jurassic Park and The Lost World. With JP the original OST release already does a great job representing the score while the new LLL release of TLW finally presents the full richness of the score. Close Encounters is due for a full, loving treatment.

Just now, Stefancos said:

How much is missing from the previous expanded release anyway?

Hmm not sure there I would have to go back and check but I am pretty sure the cue that plays when the officer drives off the cliff, the scene where they show the fake ufo picture, dead animals scene, I am pretty sure there are others as well as alternates that we haven't heard. I wonder if it will include that weird disco version as well..

Matessino hinted at this release when interviewed on the John Williams Jurassic Park Collection. Seems like it will be one of the big scores like E.T. or Close Encounters. All Spielberg/Williams expansions are fine by me.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Since these film are owned by different studios that would be extremely unlikely.

Very true we will either get one or the other or both as two separate releases.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

If there is one thing that has possibly changed it's that Williams, as an composer and album producer always cut his albums with the general public in mind. The alterations he suggested to the Bouzereau releases seem to reflect that also.

Perhaps Matessino etc have been able to make him aware of the fact that these albums produced by the speciality labels are designed for a very small niche market. I mean a big famous score like Jurassic park gets a complete rerelease of only 5000 units. My guess is Williams understand that we arent looking so much for a best listening experience on album but would prefer to see the composers original intention preserved on disc as much as possible. (apart from Thor, obviously. Who will probably enter this thread soon expressing his hope MM is working on A Story Of A Woman)

But will they be able to convince the powers that be to release something like the Star Wars prequels or the Indiana Jones scores for a niche audience? Or will this be another for-the-masses expansion if it ever happens?

Disney will saturate the market with all 6 OT and PT scores on their own label the moment they secure the rights. Why on earth wouldn't they? It's nothing more than a wasted revenue stream otherwise, with Sony taking all the money from whatever old stock they have lying around.

The only real question is what form these releases will take. They could re-badge and re-issue the existing OT SEs and PT OSTs on Disney Records. Alternatively, they could use the opportunity to remaster the scores from scratch and transfer them with modern equipment, allowing for all manner of additional distribution methods currently unavailable for the OT (high definition audio, for example).

Not to mention the obvious potential of giant music box sets spanning multiple trilogies. As soon as Disney own all the scores, they can release whatever they want. Right now, they can't release a box set containing TFA or VIII with any other SW score. Once they can, they will milk the scores for every note (and it will be a glorious thing). In fact, the whole "featuring music never before released" part will be extremely important to marketing the sets in the first place, just like including a few new deleted scenes on the 3D TFA Bluray. It's basic economics.

They'll just repackage the same old crap and let us suffer in false hope they'll release it properly every time a new Star Wars film is released.

It's our lot in life.

When you see some of the films and scores than get expanded releases it's hard to believe anyone would doubt the viability of any expanded Star Wars anything. 

But once you do a definitive release, there's nothing left to hold back and make us want.

As long as it keeps selling, it benefits them to repackage and re-release the same program over and over again insteadof expanding these scores.

Moneygrubbing bastards!

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

But will they be able to convince the powers that be to release something like the Star Wars prequels or the Indiana Jones scores for a niche audience? Or will this be another for-the-masses expansion if it ever happens?

It could be a mass label release prepared in cooperation with Matessino and/or one of the specialty labels. Especially considering LLL's good rapport with Disney.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Do you know what the Mouse loves more than us?

giphy.gif

Fire hundred dollars?