New John Williams/Matessino 2017 Project Announcement!

Amer

Well I feel that  a definitive CE3K is definitely in the works and its most likely Spielberg/Williams collaboration for LLL. Why else would MV Gerhad 'Like 'Mattessinos facebook post???:)  Plus Its the 40th Anniversary of CE3K and Ive heard that the new Williams /Spielberg collection from Sony (possibly due out in March/April) also features a new recording of material from CE3K {Even though it was already done on the first album, I suspect its a new cue like 'The Abduction of Barry'

I don't see the big deal in Disney doing SW or IJ on their own label. The producer matters more than the label and they'll probably ask Matessino to do it anyway (considering he did the SEs and is the first person Williams would recommend -- nobody at Disney is going to argue with what JW requests). The only thing to be concerned about with Disney is cutting corners for cost-saving reasons.

The transfers will almost certainly be done in-house at Skywalker Sound with an engineer like Dann Thompson (who did the brilliant vinyl transfers) and music access wouldn't be a problem, considering Lucasfilm can access their own archives.

Let's just hope the session masters are actually there -- the release label really won't matter if the sessions are missing or lost to time.

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I don't see the big deal in Disney doing SW or IJ on their own label. The producer matters more than the label and they'll probably ask Matessino to do it anyway (considering he did the SEs and is the first person Williams would recommend -- nobody at Disney is going to argue with what JW requests). The only thing to be concerned

He'll probably forget who Matessino is and request Laurent Bouzereau.

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The Star Wars trilogy can't be done because of all the rights issue right now (Sony (who seems unwilling to do anything with the scores), Fox (who owns the first film and its score to perpetuity) and shit), plus, as it's been said countless times in other threads, since Disney now owns the franchise, it's highly unlikely they'll ever give the right to do complete/expanded sets to a label. They'll prefer to do it themselves.

I do recall - didn't Jay say that he's unsure whether the OT and PT rights leave Sony for Disney in 2017 or 2019? 

Well, this year is 2017!

And I'd think Disney could license the first score from Fox. 

And when Matessino was interviewed by Jay last year, he was asked about SW and said he couldn't discuss it, possibly indicating he was signed up for something! 

And, of course, Disney will want to do expansions themselves, but that doesn't necessarily mean Matessino can't be involved. Williams' camp may push for it. 

You never know, right?

Since the OT scores have already been expanded, re-released, etc., I doubt there's much of a market for re-releases anymore so I'd guess the next release will be definitive (or at least trying to be!) For the prequels, though, you have to wonder whether Disney would want people to double dip, first releasing isolated scores or something and then finally the definitive version. 

4 hours ago, artguy360 said:

It's gonna be a complete TFA expanded score release!

I actually hope so! But, yes, it is rather unlikely this early...

Oh, another random thing to note - nobody knows for sure that the release Matessino is talking about will happen this year. 

Generally most of his Spielberg/Williams releases have had fairly fast turnarounds, haven't they?

I know some releases can be quite difficult though, waiting on various levels of approval, such as actors featured in artwork and stuff like that.

46 minutes ago, Will said:

Oh, another random thing to note - nobody knows for sure that the release Matessino is talking about will happen this year. 

On tge JP podcast he did say something about JW fans saving up their money over the next year though because there was a lot coming out. 

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why didnt you?

It's only been 2017 for less than 2 days and you are already falling to pieces!

PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER SCHEDENIG!!!

Alzberger's?

We need someone to be like the wacko Bob Dylan fans (or Dylanologists as the crazy fuckers like to be called).

I nominate ET&Eliot/Selina/ @Rose Dawson /whatever he's called now to find out where Mike lives and go through his trash (or really any one who lives in the LA area, who else we got?).  Might as well deputize the kid who played Star Wars in front of JW's house too.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

How much is missing from the previous expanded release anyway?

Several alternate cues, sweeteners, and source music, but most prominently: the "Inside the Mothership" cue, the very first "dialog" between the humans and the three UFOs, and the ethereal "Snuggle" cue. Properly assembled, it would be a 2CD set. I think it's a good candidate for what MM was referring to.

9 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I'm very excited for JFK! 

Although off the top of my head, I can't even say for sure how much music was missing from the OS album...

It's hard to say because of the insane amount of music editing and tracking in that film, not to mention tomandandy's contributions, but we know for sure that there are some scenes which Williams scored specifically, like the "Operation Mongoose" cue for example.

1 hour ago, Corellian2019 said:

Several alternate cues, sweeteners, and source music, but most prominently: the "Inside the Mothership" cue, the very first "dialog" between the humans and the three UFOs, and the ethereal "Snuggle" cue. Properly assembled, it would be a 2CD set. I think it's a good candidate for what MM was referring to.

The 'Inside the Mothership' cue is on the Boston Pops compilations.

Weirdly, in the case of Close Encounters, there's a cue that Williams speaks highly about in the liner notes that isn't even on the CD. What the fuck?

In the case of E.T., we mainly need the officially unreleased music in better quality and the score for the E.T. Adventure at Universal Studios. I think something like this would be our only chance to get that.

What's about "Witches of Eastwick" or "Born on the Fourth July"? What is the license situation here?

And are the "Dracula" tapes actually lost or is it merely an assumption?

Taking all aforesaid aspects into consideration, the most likely scores to be expanded are E.T., Close Encounters, The Harry Potters and JFK, aren't they?

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Taking all aforesaid aspects into consideration, the most likely scores to be expanded are E.T., Close Encounters, The Harry Potters and JFK, aren't they?

I'd put money on E.T. due to the live performances but could see Close Encounters happening as well (40th anniversary).

Don't see any reason why the Potter scores can't be far off either. All three having live performances + LLL's healthy relationship with Warner Bros (A.I. and Empire of the Sun in the last few years, albeit Spielberg productions).

33 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

In regards to the conversation on expanded SW scores, what is there even left to release from the OT?

It's not so much a matter of unreleased music (although there's still inserts, film versions and various music missing) but more about creating new tape transfers of the scores with modern equipment for vastly improved sound quality. Parts of the 2CD ROTJ sound atrocious, as if they were recorded underwater. 

There's also a time consideration here; the master tapes are nearly four decades old now and there's a risk of them disintegrating before getting scanned at high resolution (even the masters for Jurassic Park and The Lost World, only two decades old, were peeling when MM found them).

If you listen to the recent vinyl remasters the improvement in audio quality is phenomenal, like listening to a brand new score. That's simply a result of improved tape scanning technology; scanning analogue to digital simply wasn't advanced back when they last scanned the OT scores in 1996, resulting in some very flawed audio quality and losing many fine details in the scores.

It's the exact same situation with film remasters. Scanning technology is constantly improving and a modern 4K scan of a film will look vastly superior to a 4K scan done 10 years ago. There are some great examples of this, like the Indiana Jones trilogy or Alien. Then consider the most recent tape transfers for the Star Wars scores was using technology circa 1996!

5 minutes ago, dillweed97 said:

Yes if that is the case close encounters should be done therefore it is older and it could be more deteriorated 

Absolutely, the older the scores the more vulnerable they are to being lost forever.

With luck, most of JW's scores are well preserved in the various archives.

Just now, crumbs said:

Absolutely, the older the scores the more vulnerable they are to being lost forever.

Yes and ET had an isolated score on the laser disc  so boots would be easier to get close encounters hasn't been as well heard because A it didn't get a isolated score and B it was released the same year as star wars so people would ask for star wars before that. That being said there is more scores that need to be done before ET because I know some of them have never even been expanded so therefore the tapes have been untouched for sometime... Oh my...

Oh I'm certainly aware of the room for quality improvement, especially on ROTJ. Anyone know how the f that even happened? 

I guess I hadn't considered inserts.

I can't think of any instances of film versions that aren't already out there? I guess Lapti Nek but isn't that lost forever or something?

And other missing music? What is there? I know there is a short bit missing from the ANH SE (but is on the original LP), and the sail barge source music, but I'm not aware of anything else. 

Unreleased cues[edit]

Currently, several source cues and other material are unavailable. Many of these master tapes could not be located in time for the score's special edition release and are presumed lost. These tracks include:

1. Jabba the Hutt's Concert Suite - All but the final portion of this original recording, incorrectly edited onto the end of the cue "Han Solo Returns" on the Anthology, remains unreleased. (This same portion is heard on the Return of the Jedi DVD menu as well).
  2. Film Version of Lapti Nek (Original Source) - Several versions of this source cue written by John Williams' son Joseph are available. Currently available are the album version on the Anthology and an extended album version and an instrumental track released on an LP single. However, the film version has yet to be released.
  3. English Version of Lapti Nek (Sung by Joseph Williams) - This cue can be heard partially in From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga, but remains unreleased.
  4. Max Rebo Band Song (Sail Barge Dance) --Source Cue - This piece, performed by the resident musicians in Jabba's court (The Max Rebo Band) has never been released. It is heard after Chewbacca is taken away and also on Jabba's sail barge (hence its title). This cue can also be heard almost totally complete in From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga, but remains unreleased.
  5. Unknown Source Cue - this cue is not used in the film but is credited to Joseph Williams. Nothing more is known.
  6. Alternate Film Takes - Several cues such as "Superstructure Chase" are presented on the SE using incorrect and often flubbed takes.
  7. Battle For Endor Insert - This insert can be heard in the film when Chewbacca and the Ewoks use the AT-ST to blow up another AT-ST and is similar to a section from the "The Forest Battle Concert Suite" but has never been released.
  8. Ewok Celebration (Film Version) - Two versions of this cue have been released, however, neither preserves the actual original recording used in the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_of_the_Jedi_(soundtrack)#Unreleased_cues

That's true, actually. We need a complete presentation of ROTJ that doesn't sound like shit. Until then, I'll stick mainly with the OST and Anthology, both of which sound great on my hi-fi. The RCA discs sound awful.

1 hour ago, Rose Dawson said:

That's true, actually. We need a complete presentation of ROTJ that doesn't sound like shit. Until then, I'll stick mainly with the OST and Anthology, both of which sound great on my hi-fi. The RCA discs sound awful.

You can make a pretty great presentation of ROTJ with the Vinyl remaster as your starting point and filling in the rest with the Anthology release. The Anthology alone has about 105 minutes of ROTJ music that sounds better than the RCA release.

Is there anything on the Vinyl release missing from the Anthology?

1 hour ago, Richard said:

If INSIDE THE MOTHERSHIP is a rerecording (and I'm not convinced that it is) are there any recording details concerning the original recording?

Well I think it's all intact on Disc 2 of LLL's release. It was a huge David Arnold cue I wanted for years.

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No. I made an version years ago combining the Anthology with the SE.

Have you inserted the vinyl tracks yet?

And there must have been a fair bit of music editing to assemble that, given how many long combo tracks the SE has (irritatingly long, IMHO).