New John Williams/Matessino 2017 Project Announcement!

Amer

What do you mean? Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET, Return of the Jedi don't count? 

Of the Original recordings both JEDI & EMPIRE 2cd sets are 99% complete in their presentations. JEDI has a few alternates missing (namely the Vader's Funeral Pyre and original film version of the Ewok Celebration) plus the original source music whereas EMPIRE has the missing film version of the Finale and another alternate of Imperial March theme from Vaders first appearance.The details are all listed on Chris Malone STAR WARS article.

Empire Strikes Back is not complete Marc -  and neither is Empire of the Sun. That's my point.

(I don't know if Heartbeeps is complete or not) 

The 80s is the decade of expanded-but-not-complete-scores. E.T. is missing three little cues, the Star Wars Trilogy is missing tiny unimportant things (if there wasn't that sound quality issues and that medley mess) and the Indiana Jones Trilogy is missing more than 68 minutes of music.

4 hours ago, azahid said:

OK guys some more update from Mike Matessino on his posting on facebook:

Mike Matessino Wow, that's a lot of response! Down the road if I say what I was working on there is bound to be disappointment. It was just nice to clear that stale 2016 air away with some John Williams on New Years Day. There are some great titles in the pipeline, of course. Thanks, everyone.

:blink:

Hmmm... 

Well, I'm still hoping that something SW is coming sometime soon, and I still think Matessino could be involved because of this bit from Jay's interview last year:

Lastly, do you have any idea when Sony’s license to release the original Star Wars scores expires? I think I speak for many John Williams fans when I say that I hope you can revisit the original trilogy – and visit the prequel trilogy for the first time – at some point in the future!

I would love to work on Star Wars again, of course, but Imperial decree prevents me from saying anything about it right now. Nor will I tell you the location of the hidden rebel base.

If he wasn't involved at all, he probably would be able to say something, right? So I'm thinking they already had him signed up for some sort of project. 

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Because it is one piece, really. Williams wrote it that way and broke it up in three for practical reasons.

Interesting, look at the cue numbering (also, @Docteur Qui):

5M4 (Pt I) Let the Games Begin – 1:42
5M4 (Pt II) The Scoring Begins – 1:32
5M4 (Pt III) Slytherin Scores – 2:22
5M4 (Pt IV) Harry’s Great Victory – 2:17

Seems to back up your point. Can't think of any other examples where JW did this. 

The revised film version opening of Cadillac of the Skies is not included. It's also 3 seconds long :P

19 minutes ago, Will said:

Interesting, look at the cue numbering (also, @Docteur Qui):

5M4 (Pt I) Let the Games Begin – 1:42
5M4 (Pt II) The Scoring Begins – 1:32
5M4 (Pt III) Slytherin Scores – 2:22
5M4 (Pt IV) Harry’s Great Victory – 2:17

Seems to back up your point. Can't think of any other examples where JW did this. 

Return of the Jedi:

5M1/6M1 Pt. 1    Yoda's Scene
5M1/6M1 Pt. II    Luke and Ben

Harry Potter 2:

4m1 (pt1) Quidditch Stadium
4m1 (pt2) Bludger Attack
4m1 (pt3) Chasing The Snitch
4m1 (pt4) Harry Catches The Snitch

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

The revised film version opening of Cadillac of the Skies is not included. It's also 3 seconds long :P

I can live with that.

But leaving the original finale cue off the complete Return of the Jedi is ridiculous!

And as silly as Lapti Nek is, that should be on there too.

What's missing from ESB?

5M3 Yoda’s Entrance alternate ending

And, technically, the original version of the end credits before the Yoda's Theme extension was added in.

7 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Is there some contractual or legal reason why he can't divulge now what he's working on?

Have you ever seen any producer tell the general public what scores he has worked on before the label announces the title?

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

Have you ever seen any producer tell the general public what scores he has worked on before the label announces the title?

Well no, but that's essentially my question - why not? I presume the producer signs an non-disclosure agreement as part of their contract.

Because its the label's right to announce their own titles, not the people who work on them.

Plus, think about it: If MM posted "hey guys, I'm working on new Star Wars editions, woo hoo!"  just think about how many messages and emails he'd be bombarded with until they came out... which could be YEARS from now if it even happens!

The main reason is that Mike Matessino don't want to receive daily mails and Facebook messages telling him: "And this E.T. Expanded Set, is it for soon or not? It's so looooong, we are waiting!"

Also, the marketing strategy for these releases generally relies on shocking, surprise announcements!  And it seems like that works for the specialty labels.  If you blindside fans with a surprise announcement, you probably get more impulse buys.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Also, the marketing strategy for these releases generally relies on shocking, surprise announcements!  And it seems like that works for the specialty labels.  If you blindside fans with a surprise announcement, you probably get more impulse buys.

Certainly worked with JP / TLW. Biggest surprise of the year.

The Empire Strikes Back does have The Imperial March (The Imperial Fleet Scene) but the one on the CD (any release) doesn't sound much like the version used in the film. I'm hoping this is in a future release at some point. As well as the film version of the Finale/Credits. 

2 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

The Empire Strikes Back does have The Imperial March (The Imperial Fleet Scene) but the one on the CD (any release) doesn't sound much like the version used in the film. I'm hoping this is in a future release at some point. As well as the film version of the Finale/Credits. 

Hopefully, is that you andrew?

10 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

The Empire Strikes Back does have The Imperial March (The Imperial Fleet Scene) but the one on the CD (any release) doesn't sound much like the version used in the film. I'm hoping this is in a future release at some point.

You mean the rendition when the fleet is first seen?

It's the concert suite tracked into the picture. Williams' original composition can be heard in Aboard the Executor.

Just now, Mr. Breathmask said:

You mean the rendition when the fleet is first seen?

It's the concert suite tracked into the picture. Williams' original composition can be heard in Aboard the Executor.

Musically yes its the same as the concert version, but it sounds a lot different in the film. I'm not having it that its a different mix, its a different take entirely. 

At 16:11 that's the music on its own without the sound effects. You can hear its a different take to the original. 

Film Version - 

2 minutes ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

Interesting. I've seen that clip several times and somehow never realized that was the film take.

I think I may have a recording of that one alone... no sound fx...

3 minutes ago, dillweed97 said:

I am looking through files now, can you guys tell me where out or a reel number maybe?

Not positive, but I think 7M4/8M1 might be the cue number. That might be a different cue though, not sure.

It will just be called Darth Vader's Theme or The Imperial March or The Imperial Fleet. It was tracked from The Imperial March, but the one they used from the film is a different take/recording. 

2M4 The Probe Scanner?