New John Williams/Matessino 2017 Project Announcement!

Amer

9 hours ago, Will said:

Williams did ask that the two album presentations of the themes be moved to the bonus section so that the disc presents the score as it’s heard in the movie first, followed by a collection of Christmas music. The live-to-picture concerts are going on right now, with 18 or 19 orchestras doing it this season, so he had refamiliarized himself with the score recently in preparation for those.

Further proof that Williams is very conscious with expansions to accompany his live-to-picture concerts, hopefully a positive sign for the HP trilogy.

I kind of love that Williams is still so involved in these expansions. I know he created editing issues with IJ and Hook sets, but in the hands of the right producer his input is most welcome. Even in expanded form, he still aches for that "listening experience"!

I love how conscious of sound quality he is. It bodes well for Star Wars remasters (considering how awful parts of ROTJ sound) and another attempt at Hook if the complete masters are discovered.

I also really like how he "did ask that the two album presentations of the themes be moved to the bonus section so that the disc presents the score as it’s heard in the movie first."

So he actually was the one to request a change from the listening experience thing!

For Hook, did they not have the missing music, or did Williams just not want it released? I don't own it. 

I asked MV (LLL records) privately on the status of JFK i.e if it is confirmed for 2017 and also for THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK which he said that at FSM messageboard  that he would get to it after the reissue from Perseverance Records is OOP. He gave me a positive but cryptic response:

2017 is a big year for Williams fans? I hope we can get JFK for sure this year? also any plans to do Witches of Eastwick now that the Perseverance cd is OOP and its the 30th anniver. 

His response:

i think you will be very happy this year

:)

4 minutes ago, azahid said:

His response:

The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing and The Paper Chase expansions confirmed!

@BloodBoal Remember he broke the news about JFK* & TOWERING INFERNO to me before anyone else! (I know I used to bug him to look into it(JFK) and he wasn't sold into it saying that there wasn't enough new music and there were licences issues and other imperial entanglements)

Azahid, please ask MM to do the Indy and Star Wars trilogies! ;)

Honestly, I reckon the Indy trilogy are very likely in the coming years. Raiders had live-to-picture concerts prepared last year so it's right in line with the reasoning for the JP expansion.

While the live-to-picture concerts have apparently been the reason why some of these score became available for licensing and release. it will almost certainly not be the case for all of them.

Raiders might be coming because of its live-to-picture concerts, but Disney might also chose to sit on it for a while and see how the pre-production of the fifth movie is coming along, thinking a re-release of the old scores might serve better as a marketing too than.

Maybe, but there's little denying that JW and SS have more clout than some marketing guy at Disney or Lucasfilm who might prefer to sit on expansions for marketing reasons. If JW asked Kathy Kennedy to explore Indy expansions, it would happen sooner rather than later.

In any event, the rights seem murkier for the Indy scores. We know Disney reacquired the SW scores but there's no word on the situation with Paramount/Concord and Indy. Hopefully Concord's licence is OOP.

54 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Azahid, please ask MM to do the Indy and Star Wars trilogies! ;)

Honestly, I reckon the Indy trilogy are very likely in the coming years. Raiders had live-to-picture concerts prepared last year so it's right in line with the reasoning for the JP expansion.

@crumbs I already did that to MM and he said "   of course I would love to do Star Wars completely over again. "

BTW, I have a written a proper note/email to Lucasfilm, Disney Executive and even Kathy Kennedy asking them to redo the SW score expansions after the rights reverted. And I greatly endorsed MM in it. ;)

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I can't see JW campaigning for Indy expansions - it sounds like it took LB quite a fight to expand the Concord box beyond bonus tracks.

Different times for film score expansions almost a decade ago. Independent labels weren't as prodigious nor did they have the studio relationships they do now. 

Also, Disney owns Lucasfilm now, Kathy Kennedy runs the company, Spielberg/Williams have a thirst for expanding JW's catalog properly and they're loving their collaboration with MM. He seemingly finishes one score then moves straight onto the next. He's built enough trust to actually ask JW's team to expand scores that weren't even offered -- and they're agreeable (though perhaps the Amblin factor made TLW an easier request).

I don't think MM would face the same resistance LB did with Indy. At the very least I think he would talk JW down from any microediting requests to Desert Chase. :P

Right on!. Amblin and Spielberg driven projects seem to be working faster. In time we can expect to see more projects like ET, CE3K, WOTW etc.  MM explained how he & LLL was able to influence the JW team to also consider THE LOST WORLD for this release and it worked brilliantly. 

MM's struck a great balance with JW's team.

He's respectful of JW's fondness for the OST listening experience by selling the idea of expansions as complimentary releases, not OST replacements. That expansions are for a niche audience, his most passionate fans who love every note, hence limited stock numbers. This reiterates that independent labels are passionate about remastering his music to optimum quality, not simply chasing profits.

I think it's "clicked" for JW, thanks to MM. There's still a few compromises and requests to move tracks to the bonus section (which is pretty reasonable), but he's much less meddling than 2008 Raiders or even Hook.

3 hours ago, azahid said:

I asked MV (LLL records) privately on the status of JFK i.e if it is confirmed for 2017 and also for THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK which he said that at FSM messageboard  that he would get to it after the reissue from Perseverance Records is OOP. He gave me a positive but cryptic response:

2017 is a big year for Williams fans? I hope we can get JFK for sure this year? also any plans to do Witches of Eastwick now that the Perseverance cd is OOP and its the 30th anniver. 

His response:

Do you think maybe he doesn't tell you anything more substantial because you are quoting emails he sent you in private to a public forum without his permission?

I mean, really!

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

MM's struck a great balance with JW's team.

He's respectful of JW's fondness for the OST listening experience by selling the idea of expansions as complimentary releases, not OST replacements. That expansions are for a niche audience, his most passionate fans who love every note, hence limited stock numbers. This reiterates that independent labels are passionate about remastering his music to optimum quality, not simply chasing profits.

I think it's "clicked" for JW, thanks to MM. There's still a few compromises and requests to move tracks to the bonus section (which is pretty reasonable), but he's much less meddling than 2008 Raiders or even Hook.

Very well said, @crumbs!

I think the fact that these are small volume releases expressly targeted at a niche audience that prefers to hear the composers original intentions preserved as intact as possible has made Williams take a different stance when it comes to what he, a multi-Grammy winning album producer, would sign off on.

And it would not surprise me if it was MM who made Williams more perceptive to this kind of presentation.

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

Do you think maybe he doesn't tell you anything more substantial because you are quoting emails he sent you in private to a public forum without his permission?

I mean, really!

I only share relevant information that to some extent has already been shared or discussed in public forum already by him. (Not the entire details of pvt messages)  Such as JFK which he has himself shared officially on FSM. Besides MV only shares very basic hints with me from the beginning.Nothing concrete. My queries are usually tailgated on little hints and bits he shares on FSM, Facebook or bits from interviews. Like little bits of M&Ms so I can pick up the trail... 

On a whimsical note; I remember in some previous post you shared some agitation as to why MV was talking to me in the first place and who the hell I was? A year back. Remember? ;)

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Makes sense though. Why is MM talking to some guy from Pakistan and not to the esteemed Moderator of JWFan!

Envy is a very human emotion Jason, do not be ashamed...

MV! Not MM.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

MV! Not MM.

Um ..he responds to me as well. We usually discuss about projects that have come to fruition. Odds and ends.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sure, I was just correcting since we're specifically discussing an interaction you had with MV of LLL, not MM freelance album producer.

OK. To sum it up. There is no harm in discussing whats coming or likely to come. As for sharing comments from feedback or queries raised by myself and sharing them is NOT leaking. (Of course, if the person chooses to share information and asks me to withheld that information then it is not to be shared ) Truth be told.

Iam feverishly anticipating JFK and looking forward to it this year. Maybe, Fall 2017? 

8 hours ago, Will said:

I would actually argue that John Williams is the best thing to ever happen to us JW fans. 

Yes! 

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

No. JWFAN is the best thing to ever happen to us JW fans!

YES!