New John Williams/Matessino 2017 Project Announcement!

Amer

13 hours ago, azahid said:

That's cool. So we do know there other Williams projects on the horizon. MV also responded on the La La Land News FSM thread with some interesting plans for 2017 specially 4th quarter. And he is asking us to save our pennies for that batch. Thats something rhyming with what exactly MM also said in the JURASSIC PARK Collection set interview:

but starting in September and through our Black Friday slate I would start saving your pennies because 4th quarter is gonna be amazing if we can pull it all off. I didn't think it was possible to beat 2016s Black Friday batch but 2017 has the chance to be the "be all end all mic drop we retire from here" kind of slate of releases. Lol

The only Mic dropping moment for me would be a the INDY BOX set if it pertains to Williams only. 

OR

There could be multiple William related titles such JFK, TOWERING INFERNO, WITCHES OF EASTWICK  & CE3K ? That could still be worth mic and jaw dropping OMG moment? ;)

Well that sure sounds lovely.

I'm guessing multiple releases. "Starting in September..." 

12 hours ago, azahid said:

but starting in September and through our Black Friday slate I would start saving your pennies because 4th quarter is gonna be amazing if we can pull it all off. I didn't think it was possible to beat 2016s Black Friday batch but 2017 has the chance to be the "be all end all mic drop we retire from here" kind of slate of releases.

This sounds very expensive! The only Mic dropping in John Williams scores that I can think of is Star Wars, Indy or Potter. 

12 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

This sounds very expensive! The only Mic dropping in John Williams scores that I can think of is Star Wars, Indy or Potter. 

Exactly, it would have to top a franchise like Jurassic Park to reach mic-drop heights.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Exactly, it would have to top a franchise like Jurassic Park to reach mic-drop heights.

Agreed. 

If I had to sacrifice Indy and Potter to guarantee I get Star Wars, I'd do it.  

44 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Maybe Disney, with some arm twisting, might consider licensing the Star Wars or Indiana Jones scores to an independent label on the proviso they restrict units to 5000 and release the rights to their work once their stock is exhausted.

It's a win win. Disney get a smaller label to do the research, restoration and assembly of the set (then secure the digital and release rights to their work once sold out). In return, LLL/Intrada get the publicity and prestige of producing the set and first bite of the profits.

That would be awesome, and I can see it happening, but my prediction remains that Disney holds off on a project of that scale until after Episode IX, when they can release a massive three-trilogy box set.

40 minutes ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

That would be awesome, and I can see it happening, but my prediction remains that Disney holds off on a project of that scale until after Episode IX, when they can release a massive three-trilogy box set.

Star Wars Episode I-IX complete box set.  If I could steal one thing from the future, it would be that.  

That would be too expensive...a collection premium format... would be over 200$ And with the labels shipping policies.. add: over 50bucks in shipping...

I would prefer one trilogy box set now, another one when The Last Jedi is released and the last one when EPIX is released....

Problably paying the same, but split in three for over 3-4 years...

I highly doubt Disney will do a three-trilogy set, or at least certainly not as the first time the OT is released complete. Too expensive, I'd think. I agree with Luke. SW scores are not just a specialty property. 

I'm sure if JW does all 9 scores they'll see the potential of expanded releases.

Strategically I'm not convinced about a 9 score box set though. Individual trilogy sets released a year apart might be easier to swallow.

A properly done 9 score box set would probably cost anywhere between $250 and $300 USD each.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I'm sure if JW does all 9 scores they'll see the potential of expanded releases.

Strategically I'm not convinced about a 9 score box set though. Individual trilogy sets released a year apart might be easier to swallow.

A properly done 9 score box set would probably cost anywhere between $250 and $300 USD each.

The CR's were originally, what, $75 each?  Factor in inflation and $250 for all 9 SW scores wouldn't really be a bad deal if they were done right.

2 hours ago, RPurton said:

Will it likely be a collection of Potter, like JP, or single scores?

A 6CD Set of HARRY POTTER scores would be great!

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Of course, MV doesn't mention Williams at all in his post.

Ofcourse, he didnt.  But that doesn't mean that there wont be any Williams releases this year. Right ? ;)

Even a prequel boxset seems outrageous. They probably will make an annual mini-event out of every prequel's (or Potter) release. The amount of work and preparing and clearing one release (of over 2 hours of music) seems staggering, so this side must be considerated as well.

You must consider the time the production of nine expanded scores takes. If there is a plan to release all of them when the episode 9 is released, they are already working on it. So, why was MM not allowed to talk about SW? Any contract?:D

Doing just one trilogy properly would take at least a year of solid work. Obviously the older the scores the more work involved with tracing down the tapes, finding the best sources, scanning the material, cataloging the different takes, mixes, masters, etc.

From this perspective, the ST will be the easiest expansion to assemble; everything already exists on a hard drive in high-res sound quality. Every take was probably logged to within an inch of its life, as well.

The OT will be the hardest as they need to be done from the ground up, but at least MM's done it before.

Not sure about the PT. I've heard mixed reports about AOTC being a digital or analogue recording (and where the infamous hiss originated). TPM will probably need fresh tape transfers. I'm certain ROTS was recorded digitally so that might only need some assembly of correct takes and minor remastering.

I think everything Williams did after 2005 exists on multiple hard drives and will never be lost

I think his scores from 2001-2005 all have perfect digital versions that will never be lost either, even though some might have been recorded directly to analog first (And a fresh transfer of that analog master should be used for a future expansion like with AI)

For all his scores pre-2001, you never know what you're gonna get (IE Mike's recently story that the tapes at Universal were already degrading for 1997's The Lost World, Sony losing the last group of cues recorded for Hook in 1991, etc)

7 hours ago, Jay said:

I think everything Williams did after 2005 exists on multiple hard drives and will never be lost

I think his scores from 2001-2005 all have perfect digital versions that will never be lost either,

Definitely true. After all, 5 of his last 18 scores have had complete session leaks with perfect audio quality, I doubt we'd be so lucky if they only existed on tape.

Of his pre-digital scores, I only recall Schindler's List having studio-quality session leaks (with Hook coming much later).

On 1/31/2017 at 9:50 PM, DominicCobb said:

I know people are assuming if there's a SW release it'll be a box set, but is there a possibility it could just be an expanded TFA?

I'd be pretty happy about that, actually! :lol:

On 31/01/2017 at 4:47 PM, crumbs said:

Doing just one trilogy properly would take at least a year of solid work. Obviously the older the scores the more work involved with tracing down the tapes, finding the best sources, scanning the material, cataloging the different takes, mixes, masters, etc.

From this perspective, the ST will be the easiest expansion to assemble; everything already exists on a hard drive in high-res sound quality. Every take was probably logged to within an inch of its life, as well.

The OT will be the hardest as they need to be done from the ground up, but at least MM's done it before.

Not sure about the PT. I've heard mixed reports about AOTC being a digital or analogue recording (and where the infamous hiss originated). TPM will probably need fresh tape transfers. I'm certain ROTS was recorded digitally so that might only need some assembly of correct takes and minor remastering.

Shawn Murphy in the famous reddit unboxing video interview (with Patricia Sullivan and others) talked about the number of times the tapes and track material had been transferred between various companies involved over the years. It was a very difficult project to go back and find the original tapes and mixes for the LP OST restorations. Probably they (SONY CLASSICAL) avoided re-doing the scores from scratch for the various time related reasons and went with the existing albums. Remastering engineer Chris Malone also approached SONY and offered to assist them but they said the project was already in the can and he was late! (I know he would have fixed JEDI!)

No! People are assuming the Williams score Matessino was working on on January 1 and the big titles LLL hopes to have out towards the end of the year are one and the same, but there is NO evidence to support that claim WHATSOEVER! 

For all we know, the LLL titles could all be non Williams, and the Matessino work could have just been for the next Twilight Time iso score to a 60s comedy film! 

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

No! People are assuming the Williams score Matessino was working on on January 1 and the big titles LLL hopes to have out towards the end of the year are one and the same, but there is NO evidence to support that claim WHATSOEVER! 

For all we know, the LLL titles could all be non Williams, and the Matessino work could have just been for the next Twilight Time iso score to a 60s comedy film! 

Its fun to speculate and anticipate what may or may not come. Except we KNOW that 2 Williams titles are slated from LLL ( i.e if all goes well) MM has already indicated that we need to start saving (for JW titles) and add to that LLL also said something similar but not necessarily for JW titles. But again its fun to speculate. But holding one's breadth is not advised.

One does not merely go from 1941 to Empire of the Sun to A.I. to Jaws to Jurassic Park... to Always. ;)

Something big will be coming as the next Spielberg/Williams/Matessino project, probably alongside an appetizer like Stanley and Iris.

.. I hope.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

A certain 40th anniversary. ...

6 hours ago, azahid said:

Its fun to speculate and anticipate what may or may not come. Except we KNOW that 2 Williams titles are slated from LLL ( i.e if all goes well) MM has already indicated that we need to start saving (for JW titles) and add to that LLL also said something similar but not necessarily for JW titles. But again its fun to speculate. But holding one's breadth is not advised.

JFK and Towering Inferno? 

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

One does not merely go from 1941 to Empire of the Sun to A.I. to Jaws to Jurassic Park... to Always. ;)

Something big will be coming as the next Spielberg/Williams/Matessino project, probably alongside an appetizer like Stanley and Iris.

.. I hope.

Except that neither Mike's FB post, nor MV's LLL post, reference Steven Spileberg at all.

I am glad Spielberg is not mentioned,  otherwise if a Williams IS that beallendall release, then then  candidates would  limited.