New John Williams/Matessino 2017 Project Announcement!

Amer

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Let's face it: it's probably going to be something Star Trek related.

The Star Trek Utimate Collection Set

Features All The Music (Including Alternates) From All The Movies And TV Series, Plus Liner Notes For Every Score, Plus 5.1 Audio Blu-Rays For Every Score, Plus Videos Of The Recording Sessions Of Every Score, Plus The Cue Lists Of Every Score, Plus The Sheet Music Of Every Score, Plus Video Interviews With Every Composer Who Worked On The Franchise! 500 CDs and Blu-Rays for only $1,000,000,000!

Or for pete's sake another soundtrack for some crappy animated show nobody watched.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you ever noticed that "Jaws", "Jaws 2" and "Jurassic Park" were recently expanded and "JFK" as well as "Jurassic Park III" are already announced! It's the labels' "J-phase"!

Or it's a conspiracy, additionally considering that "JFK" contains a title called "The Conspiracy".

:huh::huh::huh:

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Have you ever noticed that "Jaws", "Jaws 2" and "Jurassic Park" were recently expanded and "JFK" as well as "Jurassic Park III" are already announced! It's the labels' "J-phase"!

Or it's a conspiracy, additionally considering that "JFK" contains a title called "The Conspiracy".

:huh::huh::huh:

JFK may be delayed. But LLL is trying its best to do it this year.

• 1 month later...

Harry Potter: The John Williams Collection

This has a nice ring to it. Doesn't it ?  I would love this set to be the 'jaw dropping' OMG moment this year from LLL! Imagine a 6 or 7 CD set being announced on a Black Friday. It would certainly beat the Jurassic Park set.

I doubt LLL will do a combo for the HP scores. They'll be individual scores and if they're limited they will all sell out.

5000 of any HP score would fly off the shelf. 

1 minute ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I doubt LLL will do a combo for the HP scores. They'll be individual scores and if they're limited they will all sell out.

5000 of any HP score would fly off the shelf. 

Depends on their deal. Iam predicting on the basis of what MV was saying. It has to be something that will out do the last batch.

11 minutes ago, azahid said:

Depends on their deal. Iam predicting on the basis of what MV was saying. It has to be something that will out do the last batch.

They could release all three at once and do a deal for anyone who buys all three. Who knows.

I'd expect a 1-4 box followed by a 5-8 box rather than splitting them up between composers. 

I frankly don't see them doing major box sets like that. Many people only like the works of one of the composers, or just a select few scores from the saga (some people are only interested in HP1 and HP3, others in just he first 4 scores, others want them all except the Hooper scores, others are only interested in HP3 because they're happy with the recording sessions leaks of the other scores, etc.), and I'm sure they know that. I still believe that if a label was to release them, they'd be released separately.

Agreed. 

I just thoight the box sers were more more likely than the composer sets.

But I'm 100% sure it'll be individually 

A 1-4 box set would be great. Or 1-3, then Doyle, then the Hooper collection (pass) and then the Desplat collection. But I try not to expect too much. With all LLL's talk of this year being pretty sweet etc, I have to say I've been disappointed so far.

It wouldn't make sense for a HP 1 & 3 set. HP II was to a large extent a fresh Williams score even though conducted and adapted by Williams Ross. But it is Williams and we've had the SUPERMAN BOX set with Williams and Ken Thorne's sequel scores as well. So I don't see why it shouldn't be a box set for all 3 films here as they remain exclusive to Williams name and estate.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

A 1-4 box set would be great. Or 1-3, then Doyle, then the Hooper collection (pass) and then the Desplat collection. But I try not to expect too much. With all LLL's talk of this year being pretty sweet etc, I have to say I've been disappointed so far.

MM has warned us to start saving as well. Its points out to a box set or something larger at least. If it isnt INDY JONES set or STAR WARS  then it should be HP! 

Unless we get INDY BOX set and HP scores then it would be 'Exsultate Justi'  for all of us! Right?

God, no, not an Indy box set. I watched the first film for the first time last week and really, really do not need any expansion. But I'm willing to forget about HP if we get Far and Away, Schindler's List or Titanic.

Lets not forget the 40th Anniversary of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND and STAR WARS this year. Also expected this year is THE TOWERING INFERNO and possibly JFK (possibly delayed to 2018). We also have the WITCHES OF EASTWICK's 30th

anniversary. 

Since LLL/ MM has now a great working relationship with Williams-Spielberg and their management. A Spielberg related project should get full priority. A comprehensive INDY score box set would be the right way to go i.e if all studio arrangements are sorted out, With the current Lucasfilm-Disney merger; this does complicate things. But I'm hopeful. These BIG folks trust Mike Matessino and he now seems to be a driving force between reason and logic in handling these projects so meticulously and with the right business approach. We were so luck to get THE LOST WORLD as a 2cd set. And most recently  inclusion of PETE 'N TILLY on the Varese's STANLEY & IRIS set.

If they issue all the HP scores in one big boxset, I will never buy it. Like I never bought the big Superman boxset or even the Lost in Space one.

I don't like candy mix.

Group the first three HP composed by JW... or release them separately... I don't care, because I will buy them anyway.

But mixing different composers in a boxset is against my religion.

I'm not af fan of a certain movie, a certain TV series... I'm a fan of John Williams.  

I buy CDs where his name appears in big on the cover.

Period.

@BloodBoal The focus will be exclusively on Williams. I doubt the other HP composers will be on the limelight just now. Jurassic Park III is slated for later release by LLL. The usp for LLL is to focus on Williams scores which are exclusive ( as witnessed in the Williams JP set)

8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

azahid simply isn't a patient man!

Expect him to bump this thread a few more times throughout the year, to say things like: "Wait, could it be an Indy set?" or "I think it might be a Star Wars set"!

Im NOT! I wanted everything yesterday. OR  'Perhaps you feel you are being treated unfairly' @BloodBoal

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

If they issue all the HP scores in one big boxset, I will never buy it. Like I never bought the big Superman boxset

OMG You're missing out! Just come to tge light already. ;)

The only Potter score in desperate need of expansion is POA, for obvious reasons.

Though I wonder how easily Williams could be convinced on score expansions for scores with session leaks; that must be one of his biggest frustrations.

I think Chamber of Secrets and all of the non-Williams Potter scores would, to varying degrees, sell less if released individually than they might if bundled. I think LLL knows this and for that reason, composer bundles may make the most sense for them as a business.

Screw all of you who refuse to buy box sets or who say scores like Raiders shouldn't be expanded (bollemanneke!). There are plenty of other scores for people like you to enjoy!

Just now, crumbs said:

Though I wonder how easily Williams could be convinced on score expansions for scores with session leaks; that must be one of his biggest frustrations.

Why do you think he even cares?

Just now, crumbs said:

The only Potter score in desperate need of expansion is POA, for obvious reasons.

Just don't tell him about the sessions leaks!

Just now, Muldoon said:

I think Chamber of Secrets and all of the non-Williams Potter scores would, to varying degrees, sell less if released individually than they might if bundled. I think LLL knows this and for that reason, composer bundles may make the most sense for them as a business. Screw all of you who refuse to buy box sets

But if there was a HP1+HP2+HP3 box set, then you'd be buying the same score twice!

Wasn't the Mattessino project he teased on Facebook (the reason for this thread) just the expanded Stanley & Iris?  I assumed it was.   Of course since he is the chosen producer for Spielberg/Williams expansions, he is undoubtedly working on more.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

But if there was a HP1+HP2+HP3 box set, then you'd be buying the same score twice!

Exactly. The box is the only way to get some people to buy COS. Were it my release, I know I'd bundle it with the other Williams scores just so it had a chance of recouping production expenses.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Wasn't the Mattessino project he teased on Facebook (the reason for this thread) just the expanded Stanley & Iris?  I assumed it was.   Of course since he is the chosen producer for Spielberg/Williams expansions, he is undoubtedly working on more.

I think he posted over on FSM that Stanley & Iris was not the score he had been mentioning.

1 minute ago, Muldoon said:

Why do you think he even cares?

Because he was so pissed off about the unauthorised A.I. Academy promo that he allowed a 3CD A.I. expansion almost specifically to render it valueless?

Clearly he cares a great deal about such things, and is very particular about how his music is presented (which we've learned the hard way many times).

Just now, crumbs said:

Because he was so pissed off about the unauthorised A.I. Academy promo that he allowed a 3CD A.I. expansion almost specifically to render it valueless?

Clearly he cares a great deal about such things, and is very particular about how his music is presented (which we've learned the hard way many times).

In that case, someone at the studio took his music and assembled their own "release" for evaluation by actual film making professionals, possibly changing the results of the Academy Awards. I don't think that's the same as a sessions leak at all.

11 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

In that case, someone at the studio took his music and assembled their own "release" for evaluation by actual film making professionals, possibly changing the results of the Academy Awards. I don't think that's the same as a sessions leak at all.

That still doesn't explain why an artist of John's calibre wouldn't detest session leaks. It's still releasing his music in the wild without his permission, his supervision or his control over the presentation or mixing (of which he is notoriously protective).

Session leaks might be great for us fans but they rob labels of prestigious expansion opportunities (and thus revenue to keep producing these releases). They also rob Williams and the musicians who performed from earning royalties.

He's an artist who's spent decades promoting the art of music and various orchestras around the world; it would be a frustrating outcome for many reasons. Hardly in the "he wouldn't even care" category IMO.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

That still doesn't explain why an artist of John's calibre wouldn't detest session leaks. It's still releasing his music in the wild without his permission, his supervision or his control over the presentation or mixing (of which he is notoriously protective).

Indeed!

Session leaks might be great for us fans but they rob labels of prestigious expansion opportunities (and thus revenue to keep producing these releases).

I disagree with that.  I think the labels expand scores whether there was a leak or not, and in fact a leak existing or not has little relevance towards whether they'll go after a license or not.

They also rob Williams and the musicians who performed from earning royalties.

Indeed!

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

I disagree with that.  I think the labels expand scores whether there was a leak or not, and in fact a leak existing or not has little relevance towards whether they'll go after a license or not.

Not for something like Harry Potter, which has a built-in fanbase.

I don't listen to boots/leaks so I don't know if this is the case, but let's say some "minor" Elfman score with room for expansion has a sessions leak - something like Instinct, or A Simple Plan.  The die-hard Elfman fans probably already have it.  There's no built in Potterhead fanbase to ameliorate the potential loss, so somebody like LLL (who has made it clear that, as a business decision, they're not interested anymore in releasing anything - even stuff they love - if it's going to be a loss) would likely be too risk averse to bother.

I don't think that's right.  I think would be just as likely to expand Instinct or A Simple Plan if there was a session leak or not.  

Really, practically every score ever written has leaked, anyway.  There's very few notable scores left that we don't have a leak (or specialty label CD) for.

Wasnt THE PHANTOM MENACE ULTIMATE EDITION released by Sony to counter the leaked tapes from the game and other sources.