Disney Records has reissued the original Star Wars OST albums - Sony's contract is over! [digital/streaming releases only]

Jay

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Who do you think type these infos into databases?

Milleniums.

So errors, there are.

Do you mean millennials? 

1 minute ago, Demodex said:

I really don't understand why they just don't release an Ultimate Edition for SW Ep 2, 3, and 7. They would sell like crazy. 

ULTIMATE??? NEVER AGAIN PLEASE!!!

Just now, Jay said:

Do you mean millennials? 

ah, we say millenium in french, sorry.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Listen to this until the end of the big fanfare at around 2:00:

Then listen to this:

Notice the huge differences in clarity, directionality of the orchestra, and just a general feeling of not having your head dunked underwater? You can actually decipher instruments rather than just hearing a muddy blanket of sound.

Mind you, there are far worse offenders on the ROTJ SE...

Crumbs, I must admit that I am not hearing the difference. I am in a quiet room wearing headphones. I listened to each several times. Maybe some sort of blind listening test would have been better, I don't know. But in any case I don't hear what you're referring to. 

Maybe the YouTube quality just isn't good enough?

Will - preparing for the onslaught of face palm GIFs to begin ;)

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

youtube compresses the shit out of everything.  Compare on Spotify

Will do. I only have the free Spotify which is 160 kbps but that's still better than YouTube. I do have the SE in lossless, but I don't have the new OST remaster downloaded so it wouldn't be a fair comparison there. 

EDIT: Maybe it's still too compressed at 160 kbps - I'm not hearing it. I'll try again later as I am leaving home now. 

Yeah man, get a pair of good headphones and turn them up loud.  Even on Youtube it's like night and day between those two clips.

Here's a random aside: Does anyone know if someone has ever made a good solo piano arrangement of "Into the Trap"?  On this listen it strikes me that it could be a really exciting piece to hear on just piano.

EDIT: Found this one on Youtube, but it's not very good.  The piece needs to be given a fiery performance.  This one's a little boring.

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

I really don't understand why they just don't release an Ultimate Edition for SW Ep 2, 3, and 7. They would sell like crazy. 

Fuck that. The backlash from that release is probably why Sony never made ones for Ep 2-3 in the first place.

Maybe I'm not playing the clips loud enough? (I don't play my music blastingly loud)

I think the headphones are probably fine. They're pretty cheap, but @Rose Dawson seemed to think they were fine when I mentioned them, if not the best that exists! 

I'll try again soon. 

EDIT: Well, still not hearing it. I give up. :lol:

1 minute ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

I'm not even wearing headphones and I can hear a difference. The SE one is definitely more muddy, and the 'new' version is much sharper.

Yeah, well, I'm sure your ears are better trained or something. Hopefully eventually my ears will become that good. We'll see. 

5 minutes ago, dillweed97 said:

but you're a mouse :D are you the cousin of the savior Micky? Legend says he will bring us complete recordings of our favorite soundtracks as well as theatrical versions of our films that have been clouded by CGI

Alas I am a Universal mouse, not a Disney one:

http://www.singmovie.com/characters/mike

;)

2 hours ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

Fuck that. The backlash from that release is probably why Sony never made ones for Ep 2-3 in the first place.

That's a shame because now there is so much unreleased music from those films. 

Just now, Demodex said:

Well, like the title of the post says, fortunately Sony's reign of terror is finally over.

5 minutes ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

Well, like the title of the post says, fortunately Sony's reign of terror is finally over.

Well let's hope for Ultimate Editions

Even through my tablet's tinny speakers the sound difference is obvious, with the brass especially. You might want to invest in better audio equipment Will. Are your headphones Apple earpods or something equally rubbish? ;)

26 minutes ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

pTRU1-23939363dt.jpg

ROTFLMAO

33 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Even through my tablet's tinny speakers the sound difference is obvious, with the brass especially. You might want to invest in better audio equipment Will. Are your headphones Apple earpods or something equally rubbish? ;)

I think perhaps I just don't know what to listen for. Or my ears are rubbish. Or perhaps there is a psychological problem: some sort of listening bias and/or I'm overthinking things in some way. 

Here are what I was listening on:

https://www.koss.com/headphones/over-ear-headphones/ur29

By the way @Manikin Skywalker I love your signature. LOL at the new "help us MM" one, as well as of course the classic "more xylophone" one. :lol:

13 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

Try using q-tips.

Hmm... I'm not sure if you're joking or not but might actually be worth a try. :lol:

Q-tips are really bad for your ears, you may want to think about ear syringing.

I get mine done at least yearly and the difference to my hearing is unbelievable.

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Q-tips are really bad for your ears.

Yeah, I was thinking of noting that but figured I might get made fun of or something LOL. But, yes, my dad is always saying that. 

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

You may want to think about ear syringing.

I get mine done at least yearly and the difference to my hearing is unbelievable.

Hmm... This website - http://www.oldschoolsurgery.org.uk/ear_syringing.html - says that should be a last resort ... but it does recommend some sort of at-home olive oil treatment. Sounds like one of those things that people say works but never actually works, but might be worth a try. I do remember waking up last week with sounds a little muffled. Maybe there is blockage.

Still, though, could that really cause me to completely not notice something everyone here says is obvious? It doesn't seem that bad. I never would have even thought it might be a real problem until today's ROTJ discussion... I still wonder if the reason is really psychological somehow. 

And, OK, maybe I'd better stop talking about this now before all the "Ew!!" comments start rolling in. ;)

54 minutes ago, Rose Dawson said:

So Disney is releasing physical copies of the remastered OSTs? 

Not confirmed yet AFAIK. It would be a logical step, though. 

--------------

I'm starting to think I might be able to hear the ROTJ difference ... but it's not blind testing, the difference doesn't seem huge, and I'd say there's a very good chance it's just bias (since I was told the OST sounded better, it sounded better). The OST does seem a teeny bit "brighter" and less muffled. 

Well I, for one, just want to say thank you, Sony, for all that you've done for us over the years. I'm still using the screensavers! My favorite release remains The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition. At last, every single note Williams composed.

webcam-toy-photo2.jpg

14 hours ago, TownerFan said:

I guess she was in the loop for all the approval. However, I think there are other people at Lucasfilm dealing directly with consumer products and assets strategies.

I think she is involved with overseeing John Williams related projects. Both She and Frank Marshall joint twitter account had promoted the LLL JURASSIC PARK set. So I guess STAR WARS would be of some significant interest to her, and I know she was so personally fond of Williams JURASSIC PARK Score!

7 hours ago, Demodex said:

Shawn Murphy said that they had plans to do the Ultimate Editions for Episode II & III but were aborted.

Expanded scores seem like a no-brainer. Disney will never stop milking the Star Wars cow. It might even come to be that we face repackage after repackage of the expanded scores every 10 years.

5 hours ago, RPurton said:

Expanded scores seem like a no-brainer. Disney will never stop milking the Star Wars cow.

I keep reading this. It's such a contradiction.

Expanding these scores takes a considerable investment. Repackaging doesn't and people will still lap that shit up because it's Star Wars. Sure, they could still be willing to shell out for an expansion, but at this point, we just don't know what the plans are.

I wish I could share the optimism you guys are feeling at this news. Honestly, I see no news other than Disney making use of Sony's rights expiring. 

Oh I'm certain Disney will rerelease the shit out of the standard OST's but at the same time they're not treating their fans like total morons, sooner or later they're going to have to release something new. I'm optimistic for expanded sets because they've been gaining traction elsewhere and they're selling well.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Women generally have no idea who Williams is. Thats why this place is such a huge sausage party.

Perhaps more women than you know lurk here for a bit and decide it's not welcoming?

Obviously I have no idea, just an alternate theory.