Disney Records has reissued the original Star Wars OST albums - Sony's contract is over! [digital/streaming releases only]

Jay

7 minutes ago, dillweed97 said:

Exactly, when was it that expanded version of close encounters came out? It was way overdue for something.

It was 20 years ago and I also remember Matessino saying that in some interview recently. Its staggering how time flies.

2 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

I noticed that the Sony OT albums disappeared off iTunes recently.

Are these the same remasters?

15 minutes ago, curlytoot said:

Really? Still there for me.

13 minutes ago, Rose Dawson said:

That's weird. It's back! So I guess they're sharing the rights.

They'll be gone before too long.  HDTracks and qobuz still have Sony editions listed for sale too, but they'll be gone as well before too long.

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's Yub Nub in this one.

In an eventual re-release, they'll include both (with Victory Celebration in the bonuses, probably).

Obviously it'll be YubNub in this one, but in an eventual remaster of the complete score, I presume YubNub will be in the main program and the New Age music will be relegated to the corner of bonusdom?

Or will they put the New Age music in the main program to appease newer fans who reckon it sounds more "serious".

1 minute ago, azahid said:

Last year I tracked down the original book bound SEALED editions of  3 RCA sets off ebay. These are already OOP and by far the best presentations.

I wanna find one!

18 minutes ago, dillweed97 said:

I wanna find one!

@dillweed97here is EMPIRE:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-The-Star-Wars-Trilogy-The-Empire-Strikes-Back-CD-New-Sealed-/201756147809?hash=item2ef99a8061:g:4pcAAOSw4GVYMO9A

Keep trying on ebay. They appear there, on and off . 

The booklet packaging for the RCA sets is actually awful. The CDs slide into sleeves (like The Lost World OST and Interviews and More Music from Indiana Jones AKA the afterthought CD), which is damaging to the discs. The whole inside is kind of peeling apart after all these years. I used to own the jewel case version of Empire which had a separate booklet.

1 minute ago, Rose Dawson said:

The booklet packaging for the RCA sets is actually awful. The CDs slide into sleeves (like The Lost World and Interviews and More Music from Indiana Jones), which is damaging to the discs.

In the 20 years since I bought, mine play perfectly well..and I enjoy the glossy book like packaging.

Well this potentially bodes well for the eventual complete releases for all the old SW scores through Disney! Come on House of Mouse! You can do it!

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

I love them! Pity I was never able to get TESB!

Get it before its too late. I see a few copies on Amazon market places too. prices vary from normal to crazy!

24 minutes ago, azahid said:

Last year I tracked down the original book bound SEALED editions of  3 RCA sets off ebay. These are already OOP and by far the best presentations.

SW TRILOGY RCA.jpg

Great, you got "pre-damaged" disks

I bought each of those the day they came out at Media Play in Worcester, Massachusetts on January 14, January 28, and March 11 of 1997.  I still have the shrinkwrap (with sticker) on all three - I only cut the wrap enough to be able to slide the digipaks out the sides.

36 minutes ago, azahid said:

Thanks! 

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

I bought each of those the day they came out at Media Play in Worcester, Massachusetts on January 14, January 28, and March 11 of 1997.  I still have the shrinkwrap (with sticker) on all three - I only cut the wrap enough to be able to slide the digipaks out the sides.

Me too. In fact I snip the sides of all shrink wraps the same way for all my purchases since day 1. For these sets except that I was able to get them as they were released but only got JEDI & EMPIRE in this book bound set. I got HOPE  as a regular jewel set. But it wasnt until last year I was able to secure the bound book version. Maybe in a 1000 years they will be worth something ;) 

if Disney is smart and commissions new editions that contain everything on those old versions plus more, then they won't be worth much to anyone except die hard completists

6 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Why would a Russian site get this first? Sure hope this is what it looks like.

Why not?

6 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I bet the next step is to add screensavers.

LOLROTFLMAO

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Come on Disney, do the right thing and commission new 2CD sets!

After JP, I'm 100% convinced it'll happen. 

The only question is will they do it before or after Episode VIII hits the theaters?

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Why not?

LOLROTFLMAO

After JP, I'm 100 convinces it'll happen. 

The only question is will they do it before or after Episode VIII hits the theaters?

I would imagine so 

It would make sense to aim for the 40th Anniversary in May. There'll be natural publicity for the occasion. 

They won't release it at the same time as JW's new score for VIII, would just be a distraction.

If they did release something in May do you think it would be just the original 1977 Star Wars film's score? Or all 6 in a box set? I feel like that might be a little rushed. Maybe not, I don't know how quickly it can be to put a release together of that caliber and to have everything mastered properly and ready to go.

28 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

If they did release something in May do you think it would be just the original 1977 Star Wars film's score? Or all 6 in a box set? I feel like that might be a little rushed. Maybe not, I don't know how quickly it can be to put a release together of that caliber and to have everything mastered properly and ready to go.

Maybe two boxsets. One for the original movies, one for the prequels.

I just shot off a brief email to the Disney Corporate execs to look into the 40th Anniversary of STAR WARS as an opportunity to do the entire 7 films music as a remastered complete box set edition! I congratulated them on the new licenses of course! I dont know if this will work but as long as they get a chance to read my case it would be worth it.

19 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

We just got JP. Honestly, there's no need to release a complete Star Wars so soon on its heels.

Maybe next Christmas season.... Why not?

Aside from Star Wars turning 40 this year, of course. I'd say that's a pretty big franchise milestone.

18 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Aside from Star Wars turning 40 this year, of course. I'd say that's a pretty big franchise milestone.

Well, like I said holiday season 2017 would be perfect! 

Or, what the hell, May 2017! :D

As long as it isn't a decade in the making it's fine with me. I want it to sound amazing and perfect, the way Williams intended it to be heard. It's an art form. If you rush it they may all end up sounding liek the ROTJ CD we hate. So don't rush it. 

Just now, crumbs said:

They could just drip-feed the releases one movie at a time (though that's unlikely -- I see a box set by trilogy, at the very least).

Or box set each trilogy and each movie separately so if you want only one of them for some odd reason.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Then Sequel Trilogy boxset in 2020 for The Force Awakens 5th anniversary!

The possibilities are endless!

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

My prediction: OT box-set this year for the 40th Anniversary of Star Wars, individual releases in 2018.

Then PT box-set in 2019 for 20th Anniversary of Phantom Menace. ;)

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Then Sequel Trilogy boxset in 2020 for The Force Awakens 5th anniversary!

Yes, that would be great to sustain the STAR WARS hype !

Again, some job for me to add these digital reissues to my website with the new visuals! This will be done next week-end, thanks for the news!

11 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I am the only one finding it a bit odd that for whatever reason, the ANH cover has the "Performed by the London Symphony Orchestra" mention while the others don't? A bit weird considering that apart from that, all the covers have the exact same "template".

I think this was a contractual thing with the LSO at the time.

I believe the film credits for ANH also list the LSO while no other film does.

1 hour ago, dillweed97 said:

Or box set each trilogy and each movie separately so if you want only one of them for some odd reason.

I would only buy RotS. It's the only one with sufficiently exciting unreleased music for me.

I'd be buying all the Prequel scores. The Phantom Menace has been a long-time project of mine, and there is enough cut out from Attack of the Clones in the film that is interesting to me. Revenge of the Sith might have some intersting things too. There's alternate takes between the films, games and OST that might make a ROTS set span three discs, I'm not too sure about AOTC but there's definitely three discs' worth for TPM.

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I don't see them including alternate takes (I'm not talking about alternate versions of cues), so I think ROTS would be only 2 discs.

It depends on how drastic those alternate takes are. I wouldn't think they'd include an alternate take if the only discernible difference is that a horn flubbed a staccato note. Star Trek: The Motion Picture wasn't shy about including alternate takes, for example, but it didn't include a ton of them.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I would only buy RotS. It's the only one with sufficiently exciting unreleased music for me.

Ahem...

;)