Williams Biggest Zimmer Moment?

Lockdown

I'm just curious as to what Williams' biggest 'Zimmer' moment would be? Thought it would begin an interesting discussion and make an interesting topic. Cause, I'm really not sure.

I thought The Boat Chase from The Last Crusade was kind of similar to Zimmer's Sherlock Holmes in the sense that the same sort of instruments were used to represent a certain style of movie.

26 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

I thought The Boat Chase from The Last Crusade was kind of similar to Zimmer's Sherlock Holmes in the sense that the same sort of instruments were used to represent a certain style of movie.

Williams wrote Last Crusade 21 years before Zimmer wrote Sherlock Holmes!

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Williams wrote Last Crusade 11 years before Zimmer wrote Sherlock Holmes!

20!

The only thing I've thought sounded vaguely like anything from Zimmer, et al. would be Sir Francis and the Unicorn.  And I think that's reallllly stretching it.

34 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Poe theme has a Zimmer power anthem-esque feel to me. 

I agree! Something about the orchestration or the way the horns sound, particularly in "The Resistance," not sure.....I remember I said that when it came out and hit a nerve with poor BB :P

Haha you even "liked" it! I guess we're alone on this...

35 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Some people say this track sounds Zimmerish:

Personally don't think it does, and it's well-known people are idiots, so...

That and "No Man's Land" got a lot of POTC comparisons at the time.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Williams wrote Last Crusade 21 years before Zimmer wrote Sherlock Holmes!

I wasn't saying that it was copying off of Sherlock Holmes. I was just thinking that it was kind of similar in style is all. I know when the film's came out lol.

The electric guitars in ATTACK OF THE CLONES, maybe, or the wailing woman in MUNICH? (it's not like Zimmer invented this, though...people like Lisa Gerrard or Mychael Danna were doing this way before the German, but he was the one who popularized it).

I've always felt that A.I. (aside from the brief techno bit that is not by Williams anyway) had certain Zimmer-like elements in the broad, impressionistic, slightly minimalist textures. More John Adams, perhaps, but Zimmer has dipped into that territory too over the years -- although mostly in the years AFTER A.I..

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've always felt that A.I. (aside from the brief techno bit that is not by Williams anyway) had certain Zimmer-like elements in the broad, impressionistic, slightly minimalist textures.

Would explain why TGP love that one so much...

11 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Would explain why TGP love that one so much...

Not sure who or what TGP is, but I certainly love it. I not only consider it Williams' best score after the millennium turnover, but also one of the best scores in general in that time period.

4 minutes ago, alextrombone94 said:

"Dinner with Amelia" is very similar to "As Good As It Gets", but that's not really a 'Zimmer' sound 

It sorta is, though, whenever he's doing romantic comedies and such. I see your point.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

It sorta is, though, whenever he's doing romantic comedies and such. I see your point.

Yeah, I guess now I only really associate Zimmer with pounding ostinatos and dissonance. How I long for those "As Good As it Gets" days

Also, the militaristic Force Theme statement right after the opening scroll music from ROTS sounds very Zimmerish, especially the third melody line. That brass almost sounds synth, though it isn't......

Don't forget the wailing woman in Minority Report, which predates (predicts the crimes of) Revenge of the Sith and Munich.

"Padme's Ruminations" sounds like it was temp-tracked with Gladiator.