BloodBoal

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Even if I absolutely adore that one, I don't think it'll become a true classic.

I think it could be. This kind of genre is always in fashion. Even if out of fashion. ;)

Karol

Just now, BloodBoal said:

It didn't break any new ground, it didn't offer anything we hadn't seen before. It's "just" an extremely well-made, carefully crafted film, but I believe a film needs more than that to become a classic. What is it exactly? It's hard to say. If we knew what it was, it would be easy as shit to make classics!

A lot of the films you mentioned in your original post weren't exactly groundbreaking either. I guess it's mostly chance.

Karol

Super mainstream isn't producing much great classic, if any. You'll need to look at the independent movies these days. Under The Skin, right folks?

Just now, BloodBoal said:

"Quality", sure, goes without saying.

"Success", yes, of course (though I wouldn't say that's a sine qua non condition).

"Timing", how so? Many movies that became classics were not regarded (particularly) highly when they were first released. They became classics "after the fact".

"Right time" in general. Can mean they are released at the appropriate moment or become relevant. Can be for any reason - ideological, political, cultural.

Karol

Nobody knows the answer to this question, but the ones who will have the biggest inkling about it right now will be the impressionable teenagers with an active interest in film. 

Depends on what gains traction through TV airings.  Like, The Shawshank Redemption really only came to be considered a classic when it kept airing and re-airing on American cable channels like TNT or whatever.

They definitely do, at least for more crowdpleasing fare.  It's a Wonderful Life and The Wizard of Oz are great examples too of films that TV made into the classics they are today.  Of course in this new era of streaming platforms slowly usurping traditional TV channels, who knows.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

LeBlanc is weird. He doesn't understand that "best film of a year" and "classic" aren't the same thing.

If someone were to say, for example, "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is my favourite film/the best film of 2011", does that necessarily mean that person consider that film a classic? No.

OK, I getcha.

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Probably the five best films I have seen this century are TRAFFIC, POA, TTSS, UNDER THE SKIN, and MASTER AND COMMANDER (with honorable mentions for THE MATRIX RELOADED, and TRON LEGACY).

This wasn't the question.

4 minutes ago, Romão said:

Purely in terms of Blockbusters, I think TDK will have a similar impact and longevity that some of those 80's movies many of us grew up with

Ugh. Sad but true.

It has left a much bigger mark in popular culture than say, Avatar. And it is still highly quoted. I'm making no judgments on the quality of the movie itself, just my perception that it was one of the movies that left the biggest mark in popular culture in the last 15 years or so

Why so serious? is very widely known, I think, or Let's put a smile on that face

And as far as big budget, blockbuster, hollywood-style cinema goes, one can do much, much worse that TDK. It's incredibly entertaining