BloodBoal

In some sense, TFA may become a "classic." For many people, it may have been what introduced them to a love of SW, and its legacy will only grow as the adventures of Rey and co. continue until 2019 and possibly beyond. 

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I think Lincoln will stick around in the US but almost more for the idea of it being a great movie. Nobody really loves watching it

Isn't that the case for 90% of non-pop culture "great" films? 

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Inception is pretty much a no-brainer, that Nolan and DiCaprio combo is rock solid. Made a truckload of money, obviously, and the great reviews and Best Picture Oscar nomination along with its lightly philosophizing nature gives it an air of prestige. Pop culture touchstone, it's still referenced like it was released yesterday, I hear "inceptioned" used often enough as a joke for "things within things". Zimmer's "BWAAAAHM","We need to go deeper". 

The Bwaaaaammmmm and maybe the folding building and spinning hallway shots are the only things people consistently remember about that movie.  That's all I can remember about it at least. 

1 hour ago, Will said:

In some sense, TFA may become a "classic." For many people, it may have been what introduced them to a love of SW, and it's legacy will only grow as the adventures of Rey and co. continue until 2019 and possibly beyond. 

I agree, but it is and will continue to be so tied up in just the overall franchise, that I'm not sure people will down the line consider it a classic in its own right. A lot will depend on the sequels too. 

11 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

I agree, but it is and will continue to be so tied up in just the overall franchise, that I'm not sure people will down the line consider it a classic in its own right. 

Yes, absolutely. Particularly if Disney ends up making some absurd amount of films. 

8 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

What's considered a classic is nearly impossible without distance. It's clearer what has had a greater impact when it's many years later, so it's not surprising that it's hard to tell what recent films will be classics. 

From this decade, these seem the likely contenders (it gets harder the closer it is to present day)

2010: The Social Network (possibly the most obvious), Inception (possibly the second most obvious), Toy Story 3 (as part of a classic trilogy)

2011: Maybe Drive and Bridesmaids.

2012: Maybe Django Unchained. Also The Avengers (but only to the extent that it was the first superhero team up - of which there already have been and there will be many, many more). If there's any justice, Lincoln.

2013: Gravity and The Wolf of Wall Street

2014: Maybe The Lego Movie and The Grand Budapest Hotel. If there's any justice, Whiplash and Interstellar. If the sequels turn out well, Guardians of the Galaxy.

2015: Mad Max: Fury Road. Maybe Ex Machina.

2016: The only one that comes to mind is La La Land but unsure of staying power at this point.

Smaller movies that people will continue to talk about in smaller circles:

The Tree of Life, The Master, The Act of Killing, Her, Under the Skin, Carol, Room, Moonlight, and maybe Manchester by the Sea and Silence.

Cult classic contenders:

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Attack the Block, The Raid, Cloud Atlas, Prisoners, Edge of Tomorrow, Snowpiercer, Nightcrawler, Popstar, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Green Room

This all sounds credible to me. Good post!

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

For the grannies! 

No, it's for Americans who think Paris is sophisticated and suave and they want to be associated with that.

- Cloud Atlas
- Inception (already mentioned)

- Interstellar (already mentioned)
- Django Unchained (already mentioned)

- Drive (already mentioned)

- The lego movie (already mentioned)

- Inside out 

15 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I think Lincoln will stick around in the US but almost more for the idea of it being a great movie. Nobody really loves watching it but it looks and feels like an American masterpiece and people will admire its intellect and craftsmanship impersonally and reverentially, because it's Spielberg and Day-Lewis taking on this iconic figure and in a pretty definitive way. Any future biopics about American presidents will be compared to it, US politicians will reference it in their speeches with a near-religious tone like Hillary, while most American citizens will only really remember seeing Lincoln in 8th grade history and being bored, but they'll all have seen it!

Actually Lincoln is one of my favorite movies ever made and I love watching it.  I think it's a masterpiece, not just the idea of it, but the flawless script, wonderful performances, and rich themes (and duh, my favorite Williams "Americana" score).

I put it has my #3 movie of this decade so far:

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Wut?

What do you mean what? Have you seen either film or paid any attention to the conversations around them? Regardless of personal opinions towards them, both were massive critical and commercial successes. The Lego Movie will remain in the conversation about great animated films and how to do a seemingly corporate cash-in in the best possible way. Bridesmaids will be remembered for blazing the way for raunchy female comedies and being the breakout film for Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy. 

They're comedies so that would make sense.  Comedies don't generally play well to audiences who aren't native speakers of the language they were made in (except for ones that rely heavily on slapstick).

Bridesmaids was a stupid film, none of my friends like it either, and I don't ever hear anyone talking about it >shrug<

44 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

Ex Machina

Bold statement.

I know 28 Days Later is a classic ... Not sure if Ex Machina is in the same league.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I dunno.  But The Lego Movie is insanely popular with children here in America.  So be prepared for it to be considered a classic in 10-20 years.  I'm sure @Will knows what I'm talking about.

I actually haven't seen it. I was never into Legos, unlike many. I do know a few people who saw it but I'm guessing the popularity was mostly in even younger people. 

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Bold statement.

I know 28 Days Later is a classic ... Not sure if Ex Machina is in the same league.

I think that's why it'll be regarded as classic. It hasn't gotten the same level of attention as 28 days later. 

The gap in attention leaves open room for future public interpretation.

Things that are so good that they are dissected at release rarely live long in the social consciousness. There's not much new to be said about em. 

I wasn't crazy about Bridesmaids but it is a movie I still hear people talk about, in a variety of circles.

The Lego Movie isn't just popular with kids. I know a lot of adults who are fans too. It's really quite fun and clever, I'd recommend it even to people who've never touched a lego before.

I began my AlexCremers-phase of avoiding kiddie stuff like the pestilence after something that was called 'Monsters vs. Aliens' - a family matter. The Spielberg's are different, of course, but most of the other new stuff is too cocky and frantic - even 'Inside Out' scores in areas when there is no Duracell bunny energy burnt by bright yellow or green creatures.

There is very little poetry in fantasy stuff anymore. Some yes, mostly it's just eye-candy and bubbly gymnastics.

I didn't liked Inside Out, that was another which left me disappointed.

I love a well crafted animation, but it has to be free of pop culture references otherwise I can't stand it. Still haven't watched Finding Dory, and apparently Zootopia is another one the grown ups can appreciate. 

On 5-1-2017 at 1:16 PM, crocodile said:

I think both No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood will be classics.

No Country for Old Men I ended up seeing in the cinema. I left the cinema wondering what the point was of that film.

I never did found out. Probably it wasn't made for me, but from my side, that film is as pointless as it comes.

Compared to that one, I'd really rather watch The Golden Compass from the same year.

Not a great film either, but at least one that made me at least a bit curious about the sequel that never came.

On 5-1-2017 at 1:13 PM, BloodBoal said:

Mulholland Drive, Battle Royale, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Can't remember if I ever even heard of those films. :eh:

On 5-1-2017 at 1:21 PM, Daniel Clamp said:

SPECTRE

Is that really such a good film? I personally enjoyed it a bit more than Skyfall, but thought it was generally considered to be inferior.

And Skyfall was really only half a good film, before it all turned into "why is this even happening" territory. :unsure:

On 5-1-2017 at 3:34 PM, Richard said:

MASTER AND COMMANDER

I'm STILL waiting for the sequel to that!

On 5-1-2017 at 3:34 PM, Richard said:

POA

I'll be kind to that film today and say it was "a noble attempt at being good".

On 5-1-2017 at 4:02 PM, Romão said:

Purely in terms of Blockbusters, I think TDK will have a similar impact and longevity that some of those 80's movies many of us grew up with

Hence the "modern movie syndrome" that keeps plaguing far too many films these days.

YUCKY YUCK! :(

Still... I can't speak for its quality since it is still on my "to-watch list" for some day.

But I'm pretty convinced I'll dislike it. Batman Begins managed to turn me away quite well.

On 6-1-2017 at 2:28 PM, BloodBoal said:

Nh. This decade already has... The LEGO Movie!

Indeed! I used to be a fairly major LEGO fan in general, but I wouldn't consider it quite that good myself.

It was pretty good for what it was; probably even more clever than it had any right to be.

I'd be quite interested to hear people explain why it is quite THAT good! :D