Contrasting Rozsa and Williams in the late 1970's

karelm

3 hours ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Yes, for the most part I agree with this.  I don't think it is irrelevant whether a composer has reached some personal satisfaction with their work, but as time goes by I find myself feeling more and more sure that, for myself at least, the best way to gague the "value" of art is to see the impact that it has on people.  Something written for oneself, one's peers, or the desk drawer, is becoming harder for me to justify.  I think there is plenty of fertile ground where composers can fulfill themselves while still providing something to the world at large.  And so this has become an important way of thinking about all this for me. 

The reality is, unsurprisingly, that if you look at, say, Youtube comments, many people, most people, love Williams and Zimmer equally.  None of the quirks and biases that we're used to enter into it for them.  They are moved by both and it's that simple. 

Along these lines, whether it's Rosza or Williams or whoever, diversity and evolution are nice, but if they are moving people, I can not fault them. 

Fair and valid points.  It still falls in agreement with my statement - it means your personal goals for your work is that it connects with people.  There are some who disdain that idea but I for one do agree with you that art is fundamentally a communicative medium and has to speak to people in some way.  There is a lot of further nuance to this but its best left for a different topic. 

Will, if you feel that anything I say might hold some interest for you, then I welcome you to look back over my posting history. I've enthusiastically taken part in some great discussions here over the years.

At this point in my JWFan tenure, I feel that much of what I have to say has been said, and am somewhat loathe to go back over it all needlessly, which is often the only option since, as you may have observed, we reliably return to the same old ground here in a constant rotation.

I don't think that Jay's characterization is fair (his own MO being these kinds of needless backhanded jabs), and I can't say that it's the kind of sentiment that encourages a return to form, either.

18 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Will, if you feel that anything I say might hold some interest for you, then I welcome you to look back over my posting history. I've enthusiastically taken part in some great discussions here over the years.

At this point in my JWFan tenure, I feel that much of what I have to say has been said, and am somewhat loathe to go back over it all needlessly, which is often the only option since, as you may have observed, we reliably return to the same old ground here in a constant rotation.

Of course. :)

Well, I don't really get the point of popping into a thread to say "Hey, I feel this way!  I'm not going to explain why though; You can search for my older posts to find out why!".  Nobody ever really looks up old posts.  Instead, why not join the conversation, and say what you have to say, even if you've said it before?  Maybe you'll stumble into a new way to make a point better than you ever have before, or at least steer the conversation into an interesting direction!

Perhaps TGP feels that he's reaching the end of his usefullness of JWfan and wants to move on. It certainly seems like his heart isnt in it anymore.

I'll miss him, though I won't miss the insults when I will be slightly critical of Dunkirk.

Goodbye my friend.

2 hours ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Hey, I feel it's too hard to make that search because you have too many different screen names over the years. I'm not going to figure out which names you've used. You can search for my older posts to find out why!

I sure don't. I only read the Unread Content and whatever I can see in two or three pages of recent activity. Anything older than that is just too hard to find on a mobile. 

52 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Perhaps TGP feels that he's reaching the end of his usefullness of JWfan and wants to move on. It certainly seems like his heart isnt in it anymore.

I'll miss him, though I won't miss the insults when I will be slightly critical of Dunkirk.

Goodbye my friend.

I already think you're a moron because of whatever you'll say!

I reckon I can't ever totally disappear like some people have.  Too sentimental.

7 hours ago, karelm said:

Fair and valid points.  It still falls in agreement with my statement - it means your personal goals for your work is that it connects with people.  There are some who disdain that idea but I for one do agree with you that art is fundamentally a communicative medium and has to speak to people in some way.  

With so many people (artists, so-called artists, common folk without artistic aspirations) claiming the limelight today, are we really making a big argument out of the precious few still living in the ivory tower? 

IMHO it's the other way around: with fewer and fewer bottlenecks ensuring validity beyond popular success and less and less interest in education in society we should actively encourage critical reading of popular successes. Not to make life hard for the hopeful aspirants but because if our ONLY yardstick is popular success we have truly a problem on our hands. 

And keep in mind that most of our big heroes in this field didn't become such milestones just because they miraculously hit a well but by hard work and learning their craft and honoring musical history. This seems to me too easily put aside in such broad argumentation tactics employed here.