Michael Giacchino's SKY HIGH (2005) - 2017 Intrada CD

Jay

INTRADA Announces:

SKY HIGH
Composed and Conducted by MICHAEL GIACCHINO
INTRADA Special Collection 371

The 2005 Disney film Sky High was composer Michael Giacchino's first live-action feature for a major studio and, in hindsight, it was a natural leap from his early world of videogames and television into the stratosphere of blockbuster capes-and-space fare he now commands. Giacchino's bright, brassy march complements the film’s primary colors and superheroic posture, introduced under the comic book–styled main titles and called into action in a variety of creative costumes. Giacchino offers empathy with warm string chords, moments of danger feature itchy motif for tremolo strings akin to his Lost scoring and occasional layers of techno beats appear. The final showdown at the school unleashes weighty, thematic battle music for orchestra and choir that foreshadows Giacchino’s later work on the Star Trek films and other special-effects epics.

For this premiere release, the entire score appears in crisp, detailed stereo direct from the two-track digital scoring session mixes, courtesy Walt Disney Productions and composer Giacchino.

Led by young actors Michael Angarano and Mary Elizabeth Winstead as superheroes in a high school for superheroes, the adult cast is filled out with famous genre alumni and quirky comedians. Kurt Russell is The Commander with Kelly Preston at his side, and the teachers at Sky High include camp king Bruce Campbell, Kids in the Hall alums Dave Foley and Kevin McDonald and, as school principal, the original Wonder Woman: Lynda Carter.

INTRADA Special Collection 371
Barcode: 7 20258 53712 6
Retail Price: $21.99
SHIPPING NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit:
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10676/.f

http://store.intrada.com/core/media/media.nl?id=13092&c=ACCT67745&h=d9916020b52b24f51c27

http://store.intrada.com/core/media/media.nl?id=13091&c=ACCT67745&h=9c4fa27023ef2ea56a36

http://store.intrada.com/core/media/media.nl?id=13093&c=ACCT67745&h=64a41384741cdbaee990
Michael Giacchino
Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 371
Date: 2005
Time: 51:10
Price: $21.99

Rousing early-ish Michael Giacchino score from popular Disney action/fantasy finally available at last! 2005 super-hero tale features Kurt Russell, Kelly Preston with Mike Mitchell directing, Michael Giacchino scoring, Walt Disney Pictures presenting. Will Stronghold, son of legendary crime fighters Commander and Jetstream, has no particular superpowers of his own. Or does he? Time to enter Sky High, the high-tech school for young heroes-to-be and find out.

Action takes front and center throughout with Giacchino flying into the excitement right alongside. His score launches in requisite super-hero manner but rhythmic activity adds unusual cadences courtesy orchestral hits just out of kilter with expected harmonic vernacular. Neat idea! Unrelenting musical action sequences offer busy, tour-de-force fanfares and flourishes that propel music forward. There is brief respite: “Lollipopless/The Secret Sanctum” adds series of moving major chords and elements of mystery while “Power Placement” brings in teen-pop sensibility. But dynamic big orchestral razzle dazzle clearly is the name of the game! The action includes elements of serious intensity but solid, tuneful main theme keeps everything in super-hero territory. Brass get a workout!

Giacchino began career with plethora of game scores, television music, then landed plumb Disney assignment to score The Incredibles in 2004. Just one year later, Sky High helped his career truly soar. He hasn’t looked back since and is today one of the leading film composers in the entire film industry: Star Trek, Jurassic World, Star Wars are just three of the major franchises he now inhabits. He took home an Academy Award for his nostalgic and tuneful score for Disney-Pixar’s animated hit, Up. More awards are sure to follow.

Sky High presented in stereo from two-track digital scoring session elements courtesy Disney and the composer. Tim Grieving provides informative notes, Kay Marshall designs the colorful flipper-style booklet. Tim Simonec, Jack Hayes lead orchestration team, Tim Simonec conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain!

01. Sky High Opening (4:48)
02. Trouble Downtown (0:46)
03. Next Stop… Sky High (1:35)
04. Round-Up (0:36)
05. Welcome To Sky High (1:11)
06. Power Placement (Brandon Christy/Michael Giacchino) (2:31)
07. Still Looking/Stare Down (0:28)
08. Lollipopless/The Secret Sanctum (3:55)
09. Medulla All Blown-Uppa/I’m A Sidekick (1:41)
10. Vat’s An Idea!/Respect The Hat (1:14)
11. Cafeteria Brawl/Proud Papa (3:34)
12. Movin’ On Up (0:34)
13. A Friendly Wave (0:33)
14. Sidekicked Out (0:52)
15. Save The Citizen (Michael Giacchino/Kevin Riepl/Chris Tilton)
And Private Tutor (4:04)
16. Kiss Of Death (0:56)
17. Homecoming News/Makeout Sanctum (1:28)
18. Keeping Promises (0:42)
19. She’s Totally Into You (0:37)
20. Gotta Get To Sky High (1:23)
21. Pacified (3:41)
22. Fighting Back (1:24)
23. Royal Pain Is Monologuing (4:38)
24. That Could’ve Been Messy (3:03)
25. You Saved Sky High (1:14)
26. Sky High End Credits (2:02)
Total Time: 49:50

The Extras (Additional Cues)
27. Bus Away (0:10)
28. Power Placement – Coda (Brandon Christy/Michael Giacchino)* (0:08)
29. Starting With You (0:10)
30. A Friendly Wave (Alternate Take)* (0:32)
Extras Time: 1:04

*Not Featured in Film

Hopefully it sells well enough that Intrada will continue with other Giacchino/Disney collaborations, like Star Tours, Space Mountain, How to Hook Up Your Home Theater, Prep and Landing, and of course all his Pixar stuff (including the shorts!)

I've never seen the movie, dunno anything about it.

The score is fun, but I think he's done so much better work since.  I hardly ever return to this.

58 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Are there many Gia scores that didnt get an OST release?

50/50 is another fun Indie score that never got a release.

I hope someday his work for the TV film "Semper Fi" gets released. Here is what it sounds like: 

50/50 and "This is where I leave you" don't deserve releases, but this "Semper Fi" does. Unfortunately I don't think it will ever see the light of day. 

Don't care too much for Sky High tho.

57 minutes ago, saulocf said:

50/50 and "This is where I leave you" don't deserve releases

Bullshit! 

everything in the boot seems to be there.

The opening in Intrada is the "Main theme", so the shorter boot cue must be and edit. Intrada also has end credits, which the boot didnt have (maybe opening comes from there)

Yes, I was wondering about "Opening" from the promo and figured it must be an edit of the "Sky High Opening" or "End Credits"

But the curious part is that Power Placement was longer on the promo, even if you factor in the "coda"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YHMI9ibaIEeEUyRQ110Q1bOZbAm8vwF8Yj9976rlxuY/pubhtml

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Bullshit! 

I watched both movies and I remember them both having very generic rom-com scores. 50/50's was very repetitive and both end credits suites can be obtained on youtube. I don't see how they would be more deserving of a release then Semper Fi

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes, I was wondering about "Opening" from the promo and figured it must be an edit of the "Sky High Opening" or "End Credits"

But the curious part is that Power Placement was longer on the promo, even if you factor in the "coda"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YHMI9ibaIEeEUyRQ110Q1bOZbAm8vwF8Yj9976rlxuY/pubhtml

I think the promo has a lot of ending silences, maybe it's just that. I HOPE.

2 hours ago, Muldoon said:

I think that's ridiculous. Some scores aren't any good.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. I don't think Tintin is a good score so by your logic it doesn't deserve a release. But why would I care if it's available for others to enjoy?

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Is there any other upcoming intrada release by giacchino or williams? This being apparently unlimited for the time being, i would like to bundle it with another score...

We have no idea what's in the works at Intrada.  Doug and Roger don't really drop hints about things far in advance, only about next week's titles.

And, this isn't unlimited.  Their unlimited titles are in the MAF or INT line, this is the ISC (Intrada Special Collection) line.  It will go out of print when they've either sold the amount of copies they applied for, or elect not to renew their license.

darn. Then i'll have to snatch a copy ASAP.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Just checked.

Power placement has a 12 second silence between it and the coda (and almost 4 seconds of silence after the coda..

• 3 years later...