Which Would You Want More: The John Williams Star Wars prequels or Harry Potter Collection?

Josh500

Which do you desire more?   

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you desire more?

• The John Williams Star Wars Prequels Collection (6-CD set)
    • The John Williams Harry Potter Collection (6-CD set)

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

You're gonna make a lot of people angry with that thread title.

Why? Because they're gonna assume right away this has been announced? 

People aren't that stupid, I believe (hope)!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Harry Potter, of course.  We have practically all the prequel music thanks to 2 decades of video games, but nothing at all from Harry Potter 3.

Hmmm, yes, of course. 

Still, imagine these new sets contain many unreleased cues and alternate takes....

So you'll get "new" Star Wars music as well!

4 minutes ago, FC4L said:

90 bucks for 7 film scores of 90 bucks for 3?

OK then....

JW scored all 7 HP movies?

OK then....

12 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Hmmm, yes, of course. 

Still, imagine these new sets contain many unreleased cues and alternate takes....

We have all that thanks to the video games.  There are no mysteries left in the prequel scores.

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Nothing to do with being stupid or anything. It's just that when you see a thread title like that, your brain tend to quickly make the connection.

It would be like having a thread titled "John Williams Death" in which you would discuss how people would feel after John Williams is gone. The thread title wouldn't indicate in any way that John Williams is dead, but if you were to see it, your brain woud immediately jump to that conclusion.

Well, a little surprise / shock won't harm or kill anybody! What are we, a bunch of sissies? :P

But I'll leave it up to the moderators to change the title if they feel they need too...

Just now, Jay said:

We have all that thanks to the video games.  There are no mysteries left in the prequel scores.

It's not a "mystery," but the original AOTC finale probably sounds absolutely glorious when played by the London Symphony Orchestra. 

Right, and that's what, 30 seconds?  Harry Potter 3 has what, an hour of music we haven't heard clean?

I'm not saying I don't want perfect prequel releases - I absolutely do without question - but a HP collection is far more essential.

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Well, a little surprise / shock won't harm or kill anybody! What are we, a bunch of sissies? :P

I don't really care. It's just not the title I would have chosen, unless I was purposely trying to be funny or something. Not a major problem though by any means. :)

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Right, and that's what, 30 seconds?  Harry Potter 3 has what, an hour of music we haven't heard clean?

I'm not saying I don't want perfect prequel releases - I absolutely do without question - but a HP collection is far more essential.

I am inclined to agree.

I desperately want both (especially since I don't have all the Star Wars prequels cues--I only listen to officially released stuff), but Harry Potter is at the very top of my want list right now...

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

Harry Potter 3 has what, an hour of music we haven't heard clean?

Not just that - it has several minutes of music that were simply not even used in-film (or on the OST).

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never thought to ask and I wasn't following soundtrack news closely way back when, but why wasn't there a lot of Williams music to pull from the Harry Potter videogames like there was from the Star Wars ones?

Harry Potter games have original scores - Star Wars games do too, but there's what, 50, 60 Star Wars games and maybe a dozen HP games?  Plus, most of the music finally leaked out via The Old Republic, which was a giant MMORPG that required hours and hours of music

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Can't say which one is more essential, as I haven't heard much of Potter 3, but I wouldn't be too surprised if even after listening to that score the AOTC original finale is still my most wanted single cue!

21 minutes ago, Will said:

Can't say which one is more essential, as I haven't heard much of Potter 3, but I wouldn't be too surprised if even after listening to that score the AOTC original finale is still my most wanted single cue!

I've heard it and honestly, you're not missing anything.  The Insert improves the cue in every way.  And I don't just mean "It makes more sense to use the Imperial March there"... the problem isn't that he used a non-leitmotific fanfare.  The original version just lacks oomph and power, its really just kind of lackluster.  The Insert is bold and powerful, and luckily seemlessly integrated into the cue.

Just now, Jay said:

I've heard it and honestly, you're not missing anything.  

The mock-up? Or have you - gasp! - heard an actual orchestral recording? 

I do love this from the new finale:

I don't think the original included that. 

But overall based on the mock-up the original equals and might even surpass this version. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Harry Potter, of course.  We have practically all the prequel music thanks to 2 decades of video games, but nothing at all from Harry Potter 3.

Esto. 

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I just realized Will is probably younger than AOTC is.

Christ!

Not quite - but close. :lol:

I'm very, very, very slightly younger than HPSS, though. 

One day...:wub:

For me it's Harry Potter, though the Star Wars Prequels are missing a similarly huge amount of music - officially.

Maybe the exclamation mark is the most distracting thing of the title. Typical of somebody who is freaking out because of new expansions!

I prefer a 100% complete properly mastered release of the Star Wars prequels.

Look at it this way. Harry Potter is more likely to happen. All we've gotten from Star Wars is The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition, The Corellian Whatever Edition, The Phantom Menace 3D Edition, The Ultimate OST Collection and screensavers. We scavenge unreleased music from video games. When it comes to Star Wars, we're historically fucked. The highly flawed RCA releases have been reissued 3,721 times. Those haven't been done right. I have no hope for the prequels.

5 hours ago, Will said:

The mock-up? Or have you - gasp! - heard an actual orchestral recording? 

I'm talking about the orchestral recording.  Anyone can hear the mockup on youtube

4 hours ago, petaQ said:

Esto. 

What?

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

though the Star Wars Prequels are missing a similarly huge amount of music - officially.

Even thought we have  most of the music, our edits are still patchwork of non optimal material and aren't perfect. It annoying when you get to the few spots you couldn't join properly or missing a few notes

I just live for the the day I delete all these videogame fils sitting around on my hard drive

For less heart attacks I changed the topic title.

Even though a John Williams Star Wars prequels/Harry Potter Collection sounds rather unlikely combo the thread title was somewhat confusing.

And I think I would prefer HP if only for the complete Prisoner of Azkaban but it's a close call. Having the Prequels full, uncut and with alternates would be fantastic.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

And I think I would prefer HP if only for the complete Prisoner of Azkaban but it's a close call. Having the Prequels full, uncut and with alternates would be fantastic.

If you take the whole complete score (plus alternates), I wonder whether TMP will even fit onto 2 CD's....

7 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

I prefer a 100% complete properly mastered release of the Star Wars prequels.

Look at it this way. Harry Potter is more likely to happen. All we've gotten from Star Wars is The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition, The Corellian Whatever Edition, The Phantom Menace 3D Edition, The Ultimate OST Collection and screensavers. We scavenge unreleased music from video games. When it comes to Star Wars, we're historically fucked. The highly flawed RCA releases have been reissued 3,721 times. Those haven't been done right. I have no hope for the prequels.

Oh, I'm 100% convinced this will happen. Now will it be this year or in ten years? I don't know. But I have an idea it'll be sooner than later.

This is a tough one because I love the unreleased Prisoner of Azkaban Score, however I have to go with the Star Wars Prequels. 

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

If you take the whole complete score (plus alternates), I wonder whether TMP will even fit onto 2 CD's....

Judging how much is in the movie and the alternates we've heard in the video games etc. I can't see it fitting onto 2 CD's. I just hope all the material is still available. From what I've heard studios just don't take care of the material, scores, recordings etc. 

I think what this is really coming down to is, which set of scores do you love more.

And I'm changing my mind. As much as I love Harry Potter, it's gotta be Star Wars. Star Wars is unbeatable!