Lucas Museum Will Be in LA

Will

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-la-wins-lucas-museum-20170110-htmlstory.html

Not so long ago Lucas was planning to build in Chicago. I remember when it was originally announced a couple years ago being utterly opposed to it, but then I became a SW/JW fan and I started to desperately want the museum to come here, particularly when I read about all the concept art, storyboards, and other super cool stuff in the collection (that's in addition to some stuff I'm not so interested in, like random paintings Lucas owns). 

However, it was not to be. :(

Lucas wanted to build on a lakefront parking lot, and, despite the support of City Hall, Friends of the Parks tied it up in litigation over some sort of public trust law or whatever it was (I did read some of the court filings and news articles, and did some research on it because it was an issue relevant to me, but I can barely remember anything now). Strict adherence to my values might have led me to agree with Friends of the Parks' position, it's hard to say (for one, allowing this deal might have set a bad precedent; lakefront land has lots of protections and this was trying to sneakily bypass them), but this particular museum had a special personal meaning to me of course so I was still really hoping for it to come to Chicago.

Alas, it's apparently headed to LA. Hope any JWFans there will at least be able to enjoy it! Who knows, maybe I'll get out there some day and be able to check it out myself. 

Any thoughts? :)

Heh, interesting to hear about it from the perspective of the semi-opposition,  seeing as i only heard about the situation  from the rebel Force Radio's perspective (Friends of the Parking Lot Jimmy Mac called them).

13 minutes ago, Fennel Ka said:

Heh, interesting to hear about it from the perspective of the semi-opposition,  seeing as i only heard about the situation  from the rebel Force Radio's perspective (Friends of the Parking Lot Jimmy Mac called them).

Yeah, I was biased toward the museum because I'm a SW fan and practically love Lucas, but if I wasn't I probably would have been opposed to it. Hard to say. I remember reading some of the legal documents and I seem to remember thinking that Friends of the Parks had a pretty darn good case. Although my memory of that is fading a bit. 

4 hours ago, RPurton said:

Muzak: "The Elevator Scene", "In the Elevator", The LA George Lucas Museum/ Main Titles".

LOL, they should play the actual ROTS Elevator cue in the elevators ... might add some excitement to what is traditionally one of the more mundane parts of the experience. ;)