Most wanted score to get a definitive treatment?

Brundlefly

Most wanted score to get a definitive treatment?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What's the most desired completely complete score release?

• Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    • 1 of the 7 Star Wars Movies
    • Dracula
    • 1 if the 4 Indiana Jones Movies
    • E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial
    • The Witches of Eastwick
    • Amistad
    • Angela's Ashes
    • The Patriot
    • 1 of the 3 Harry Potter Movies
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • The Terminal
    • War of the Worlds
    • Memoirs of a Geisha
    • The Book Thief
    • The BFG
    • Any Other Score

The apparent equating that people draw between 'definitive' and 'complete and chronological' still irks me quite a bit, since I think they are anything but. The original, Williams-produced albums are almost always the 'definitive' to me. Sorry, I just HAD to say that, even if it's predictable.

That being said, there are a few Williams scores where I'd like to see an expansion -- like CONRACK or THE RARE BREED. The latter deserves its OWN release, at least, rather than just a suite on a compilation. But that desire will always be secondary to getting completely unreleased scores out there.

I think you either want an album that represents the score by offering the main themes and highlights of it or you prefer a presentation of the complete score, but that's up to each fan. The term "definitive", however, is generally used for a release, that features absolutely all music, including alternates and source music by the composter, so that you don't ever have to spend money for a better version, as there will never be a better version any more.

I take "The Temple of Doom" and "The Prisoner of Azkaban"

56 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I think you either want an album that represents the score by offering the main themes and highlights of it or you prefer a presentation of the complete score, but that's up to each fan. The term "definitive", however, is generally used for a release, that features absolutely all music, including alternates and source music by the composter, so that you don't ever have to spend money for a better version, as there will never be a better version any more.

Is it? My interpretation is more that it means 'ultimate', as in 'best' representation of a work ('having final say' of a work). Which is totally subjective, of course.

10 hours ago, dillweed97 said:

Close Encounters and Dracula are no brainers 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, MrScratch said:

The Eiger Sanction.  I love this score and the album was a rerecording.  I would love a 2CD set of the film version of the score and remastered album.

Also, agreed.

No love for EARTHQUAKE, anyone?

How "incomplete" is

CINDERELLA LIBERTY?

While I don't need anything in 'complete' or 'chronological' form, these are the Williams scores I'd like to see expanded. I'm obviously not including scores that have had no release whatsoever:

M SQUAD (more episode scores, please!)

CHECKMATE (more episode scores, please!)

WAGON TRAIN (more episode scores, please!)

Then I'd also like to have expanded versions of scores from which only ONE track/song has been released, like:

CONRACK ("Main Titles" has been released)

DADDY'S GONE A-HUNTING (single has been released)

STORY OF A WOMAN (single has been released)

ALCOA PREMIERE (theme has been released)

KRAFT SUSPENSE THEATRE (theme "Second Chance" has been released as WIDE COUNTRY)

THE RARE BREED (suite has been released)

That's about it, I think. For all the rest, I'm perfectly content with the original soundtracks.

But then, of course, there's a TON of completely unreleased material I'd rather have instead any of this.

I don't understand why you want more from these scores. It is obvious Williams thought one track was enough to perfectly represent what these scores had to offer. As far as I'm concerned, they are the definitive presentation of these scores. I don't understand why anyone would want more from them.

He, he....I doubt Williams had any say in any of these releases, except maybe THE RARE BREED.

I should point out that for the longest time I was also curious about an expansion of BORN OF THE 4TH OF JULY, believing that the 25-something minutes of score on the OST was not representative of the score as a whole. But then I got the expanded bootleg and realized that it was. So it's been taken off the list.

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

I should point out that for the longest time I was also curious about an expansion of BORN OF THE 4TH OF JULY, believing that the 25-something minutes of score on the OST was not representative of the score as a whole. But then I got the expanded bootleg and realized that it was. So it's been taken off the list.

Wow you almost fell to the dark side there...

In all fairness...i think that this score the full version is not very pleasant to listen (or at least in the order the bootleeg is assembled. Too many repetitions on the main theme.

On 14/01/2017 at 1:55 AM, Thor said:

M SQUAD (more episode scores, please!)

CHECKMATE (more episode scores, please!)

WAGON TRAIN (more episode scores, please!)

CONRACK ("Main Titles" has been released)

DADDY'S GONE A-HUNTING (single has been released)

STORY OF A WOMAN (single has been released)

ALCOA PREMIERE (theme has been released)

KRAFT SUSPENSE THEATRE (theme "Second Chance" has been released as WIDE COUNTRY)

THE RARE BREED (suite has been released)

I have none of these.

You listen to these very early works often, Thor? 

As much as I like JW's early works (from the 60s and early 70s), in my opinion they can't hold a candle to his post 80s scores... 

Yes, I listen to them more often than I do later, more famous scores these days. Not that I have much to listen to -- some audio rips and stuff. They really need to get proper releases.