Favorite Jerry Goldsmith Definitive Releases

Display Name

Hello, I saw Brundlefly has made this Favorite John Williams Definitive Release-thread, so I'm now posing the same question about Jerry Goldsmith. But without a poll, that would be too much choices. Name your Top 3 Jerry Goldsmith scores you want to have complete.

Threads title asks for existing expansions that are our favorite.... 

But the main posts asks for which scores haven't been expanded yet (Or were expanded but are not complete) do we most want... 

Well, which one is it?

My favorite existing Goldsmith expansions:

Alien (Intrada)
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (La-La Land Records)

Twilight Zone: The Movie (Film Score Monthly)

Poltergeist (Film Score Monthly)

Total Recall (Quartet Records)

Basic Instinct (Quartet Records)

Star Trek: First Contact (GNP Crescendo)

Poltergeist II (Kritzerland)

The Blue Max (La-La Land Records)

Planet of the Apes (Varese Sarabande)

My most-wanted Goldsmith expansions:

Air Force One

Mulan

Legend
Supergirl
The Mummy

Medicine Man

Most wanted:

The Mummy

Air Force One

Medicine Man

Mulan

Hollow Man

Favorites Existing:

Alien

The Ghost and the Darkness

The Shadow

Explorers

The Wind and the Lion

46 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Gremlins OST.

Okay?:mellow:

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Favourite existing: Quite possibly Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

That one and Twilight Zone: The Movie, Star Trek: First Contact and Star Trek: Nemesis. I know this will shock you all, but I hesitate to say Star Trek: The Motion Picture because I mostly listen to the OST.

Favorite Expansions

- Star Trek the Motion Picture (La La Land)

- Dennis the Menace (La La Land - it's a guilty pleasure for some reason it gets stuck in my head)

Wish

- Mulan (yeah have a soft spot for that one too)

I will never buy an Jerry Goldsmith OST any more, because it just means to pay twice! Above all the non-Varese-titles are always likely to be completed at any time.

That's why I've never listened to Mulan and still wanna have it complete.

Why not just install Spotify, then you can legally listen to lots of OSTs while waiting for the expanded versions. 

The sound quality isn't up to par and Spotify is buggy and slow for me. Not to mention the album selection leaves a lot to be desired. After that nasty business with hard drives, I prefer not to use it.

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why not just install Spotify, then you can legally listen to lots of OSTs while waiting for the expanded versions. 

Probably because the commercials are annoying as fuck. 

The free version doesn't broadcast commercials for Snickers and beers. Just ads for the paid version of the service. Which if you have a great or unlimited data plan for your phone, it's worth it. If you always drive or ride transit where you have perfect cell reception, it's worth it. If you get to sit on your ass all day at work and listen to music and they don't care about you streaming on the company's Internet, it's worth it. And if you buy so many CDs that you can afford to buy a subscription to stream what you already bought, then it's worth it. 

I don't meet any of those conditions. So I don't think it's worth it. And since free Spotify plays CDs in random order on mobile devices, it's beyond not worth it. It's downright insulting. 

Best releases that we already have? Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Total Recall, Alien, First Knight, The Ghost and the Darkness, The Blue Max (Tadlow). Poltergeist II is also a good one because it is an sound engineering miracle that even managed to outsmart/outdo the great Botnick.

What I want? A proper Supergirl, baby. With the full score and the fart-free OST.

Karol

11 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Are Legend and Supergirl surely not complete?

Legend definitely isn't. But I'm not concerned since the Silva expansion flows even better than the awkward OST.

Supergirl has bits here and there that aren't anywhere on the previously available releases. I'd like to hear the full synthy end credits some time. And for something with better sound quality than the Silva.

The rest of 'legend' is really insubstantial anyway. 'Supergirl' grates already in the Silva presentation but i agree that the hugely varying sound sources could be brought up to 2010 standards. All he score parts recording in All Saint's Church has an awful reverb that sounds like a bad Audacity preset and could and should probably be fixed.

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Are Legend and Supergirl surely not complete?

Correct, neither is complete. 

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

And why don't we get any Goldsmith/Williams stuff from Kritzerland any more?

I don't think Bruce can afford to license them. He's a smaller label than even LLL, etc