The Genius of John Williams, Richmond Symphony Concert 1/21/17

Disco Stu

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm sure the program will just be Jaws Main Title, Star Wars Main Title, Raiders March, Hedwig's Theme, Flying Theme, etc. etc.  But it would be pretty cool to see at least one piece performed that I wouldn't have expected.

Let me guess: something from Lincoln? ;)

Damn!!  Wasn't aware of this concert, or if I was at one point, I'd forgotten about it.  I'm officially in the "northern" region of VA, but it's more like the border of the "central" and "northern" regions.

Enjoy the concert, @Disco Stu, and make sure to provide us with a detailed report. :)

12 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Let me guess: something from Lincoln? ;)

That would be perfect and amazing.

And actually very appropriate.  The entirety of Lincoln was filmed here in central Virginia, with most of the filming being, like, one block from the concert venue in downtown Richmond.  There was even a special feature on the bluray just about filming in Virginia.

Yes, @Disco Stu, that Getting Out the Vote arrangement is awesome!!! A really under-appreciated gem. You were so lucky to get to see it performed live! (and it's particularly great for you given how highly you think of that score)

Here's another performance, from the Boston Pops recording of the full three piece suite:

5 hours ago, Will said:

Yes, @Disco Stu, that Getting Out the Vote arrangement is awesome!!! A really under-appreciated gem. You were so lucky to get to see it performed live! (and it's particularly great for you given how highly you think of that score)

Yes it was dawning me on just how lucky I was as I started to realize after 10 seconds or so that it was a concert arrangement I had never heard!

32 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes it was dawning me on just how lucky I was as I started to realize after 10 seconds or so that it was a concert arrangement I had never heard!

I would have thought the Chicago SO would have performed the suite by now, or even made it a standard, since to some degree the pieces were composed with them in mind.  Maybe down the road, and maybe even a recording. 

Speaking of such things, I heard the Reivers suite for the first time with the CSO years back.  It is something special to take in a piece for the first time by live performance. 

I would think at least half of those in attendance for these kinds of concerts are hearing many of the pieces for the first time (at least outside of the film itself).  I wonder how it plays out for them. 

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

But it seems that was the last time. Other than "The People's House" being performed at a summer film music concert in 2014. 

You're right, @Tom, that is strange. You'd think it would be played regularly but that simply hasn't happened. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I would think at least half of those in attendance for these kinds of concerts are hearing many of the pieces for the first time (at least outside of the film itself).  I wonder how it plays out for them. 

You are probably right. And I think that might play a little into why JW feels the need to make most of his suites end with almost cliche (but awesome!) bombastic "booms," and such. 

Because even some of his more accessible works do take some getting used to. I suppose that partially doesn't matter though as not all attendees at these are necessarily looking to be musically satisfied; they just want to hear some memorable bits from their favorite films and have a good time. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

As (Not) Mr. Big has complained about, the new arrangement does lose a lot of the character of the film version, but I think I still like it much better. So optimistic and just plain awesome. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The entire LSO could go on a luxury ocean liner where they rerecord all of JW's music!

And while they're at it perform a live-to-projection concert for the entire Poseidon Adventure score!