STANLEY & IRIS (1990) - 2017 Varese Deluxe Edition paired with PETE 'N' TILLIE (World Premiere release)

Jay

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Stanley & Iris doesnt really appear on anyone's top 10 list when it comes to what they need to see expanded. But it's a really lovely score. And sometimes that's enough.

It's not a score I'll listen to as often as my favorites from him (which are generally his big blockbuster action adventure scores), but when I'm in the right mood, it will be absolutely PERFECT!  And I'm sure I'll be glad to have a 40something minute complete and chronological presentation in crisp sound over the 28 minute wildly out of order old version with 90s technology sound transfer.

It will be nice to have the actual climax of the score (when Stanley proposes to Iris in the car) on CD.

EDIT: Turns out that cue is entirely tracked, as it was for the reshot ending filmed after Williams scored the film.

I never heard (or even heard of) this score, which came out when I was way too young to care, until I impulse-bought the "Great Composers" disc several years ago and heard the title track.  For those of you pleading ignorance, enlighten yourselves here:

It's a lovely little theme, better than The Accidental Tourist in my book, but if you haven't heard that one, here it is.  Try to stay awake until you get to "A Second Chance":

And here's The River, from a City of Prague re-recording that you should probably just listen to all the way through and fill in lots of gaps in your rarities repertoire!

• 1 month later...

Heads up. Looks like this will be out next monday in the Varese Club batch.

https://www.facebook.com/robert.townson.16

transparent.gif
icon1.gif  Posted:   Mar 7, 2017 - 5:10 AM    Edit Post    Report Abuse Reply to Post
   By:   Amer Zahid   (Member)

Varese will announce the next Club batch on Monday: 3 Titles.

Robert Townson just announced via face book:

Spring Is Coming. We'll get a jump on Spring with a fresh batch of CD Club titles announced on March 13. Three special new releases coming next Monday.

@filmmusic Earlier this year, In the Blu ray release from Twilight Time; the featured Commentary section by Nic Redman revealed that Varese was issuing a Deluxe Edition and supervised by Mike Matessino. So It should MOST LIKELY to be in this very batch.

Varese has been a leader in Deluxe Edition and expansions for many decades. 

27 minutes ago, azahid said:

@filmmusic Earlier this year, In the Blu ray release from Twilight Time; the featured Commentary section by Nic Redman revealed that Varese was issuing a Deluxe Edition and supervised by Mike Matessino. So It should MOST LIKELY to be in this very batch.

Yes, I knew that.

I just meant how did you know that it would be in THIS batch! ;)

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

Yes, I knew that.

I just asked how did you know that it would be in THIS batch! ;)

Just a feeling...!

Oh no! Varese Sarabande beware! You're going on Bespin's black list.

Happy to see that there are quite a few film versions as bonus tracks for Stanley & Iris. :) 

I didn't notice that the album versions were different than what's in the film for those!

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Doesn't he have many? A black list for compilation releases featuring John Williams music but also music from other composers, a black list for John Williams music performed by John Williams The Guitarist, a black lists for isolated scores of films released in a box set featuring the whole filmography of a director...

A man of exacting tastes, order and method.

13 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I'm glad they are premiering Pete N Tillie here - I would have had a real crisis justifying $20 just for a slightly expanded S&I, but this is totally worth it.

My total is a whopping $33.50, and although I KNOW I must have this in some way (due to P&T), I'm not quite sure how I'll be able to justify that cost in my situation. Hmmmm.....do I have an alternative to Varese in Europe? I checked Collosseum Schallplatten, which used to distribute Varese in Europe, but I can't find it there.

Thanks. Alas, they've jacked up the price (as an import), so the total is actually MORE expensive there (34 Euro).

I'll have to dig around a bit, I guess.

why do you have to have an account to buy it at Varese...isn't there a guest check out?

I did have an account actually from many years ago. Why isn't my password working anymore?

Dammit! No Goldsmith title! Hurry up Varese, there's still so much to do concerning that guy!:angry:

At least there are only 3 Williams titles left for Varese: The River, Dracula and Presumed Innocent.:)

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

A combined release.... f***.

Sorry I fainted, now I'm coming back.

Ok, because of the previously unreleased presence of the Pete and whoever Score, I'm afraid this CD will be JW's 142th solo album.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

That's a terrifying thought.

ARGHH!!! THAT WAS UNEXPECTED!!!!

Oh, I'm not feeling well...

30 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Dammit! No Goldsmith title! Hurry up Varese, there's still so much to do concerning that guy!:angry:

At least there are only 3 Williams titles left for Varese: The River, Dracula and Presumed Innocent.:)

Out of those, only Presumed Innocent is held by Varese in perpetuity.  Other labels could tackle the others.

So "Pete N Tillie" is now JW's 142th solo album.

It's coming few years late... but we can say that now, it's here!

Wiki discography updated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Studio_albums

ordered it from SAE instead

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

Out of those, only Presumed Innocent is held by Varese in perpetuity.  Other labels could tackle the others.

Eh it's in my  bottom 5 post 1975 JW scores

Is there even unreleased music in Presumed Innocent

1 hour ago, Thor said:

PETE'N'TILLIE!

Damn, now I have to buy this after all....

Hehe.. is this the first expansion you're buying?

Great news though about Pete N Tillie! Didn't expect that!

At last, an unreleased Williams score!!

8 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Hehe.. is this the first expansion you're buying?

No, far from it. But I had not planned on buying this. Now I have find some alternative way to get it cheaper.