STANLEY & IRIS (1990) - 2017 Varese Deluxe Edition paired with PETE 'N' TILLIE (World Premiere release)

Jay

29 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

There are several stage noises (bows clattering on stands, page turns etc.) in a few tracks as heard on the original album.

Are you trying to say to us that the music of this score is played... by... humans?

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « fear painting »

There goes without saying that if one day, all of this is re-released again... a more natural coupling would be "Jane Eyre/Pete 'n' Tillie".

But who said that the reissue plan of John Williams's music follows a logical path?

19 minutes ago, Bespin said:

There goes without saying that if one day, all of this is re-released again... a more natural coupling would be "Jane Eyre/Pete 'n' Tillie".

But who said that the reissue plan about John Williams's music follows a logical path?

Personally, I would rather have seen STORIA DI UNA DONNA/PETE'N'TILLIE, just to get TWO unreleased scores instead of one. But I'll take what I can get.

Actually, the MOST ideal pairing would be GIDGET GOES TO ROME/STORIA DI UNA DONNA, because although one is a comedy and the other a melodrama, the premise is very similiar: Girl goes to Rome, and gets entangled into a threeway drama between an American and Italian guy. :)

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Personally, I would rather have seen STORIA DI UNA DONNA/PETE'N'TILLIE, just to get TWO unreleased scores instead of one. But I'll take what I can get.

Actually, the MOST ideal pairing would be GIDGET GOES TO ROME/STORIA DI UNA DONNA, because although one is a comedy and the other a melodrama, the premise is very similiar: Girl goes to Rome, and gets entangled into a threeway drama between an American and Italian guy. :)

Gee, I don't know Thor - as much as I'd love to hear both of those, GIDGET is such a JOHN GOLDFARB-like "wacky" score that it would be whiplash-inducing listening to STORIA DI UNA DONNA after it. :)

On 15/03/2017 at 4:36 AM, Rose Dawson said:

Enough of this pap. Give us what we want: Dracula.

Fuckin' A!!!

On 14/03/2017 at 7:21 PM, JTWfan77 said:

Interesting that the music credit for Pete 'n' Tillie reads John T. Williams (in the film and on the poster).

pete_n_tillie_xlg.jpg

Nice poster, but "must they throw pistachio at you, this time of the morning?".

If only this were coupled with 'Cinderella Liberty' or 'Long Goodbye' it would have been an ideal coupling - have to get this for the slight but lovely Matthau/Burnett picture.

Why are a lot of people unhappy with the coupling? We get a SECOND SCORE we didn't expect, and we all would have bought the expanded S&I without it... so basically it's free bonus content. And it's to JW material previously unissued on CD so I don't see the problem? It should be manna from heaven, instead people are complaining... jeez, just be thankful don't you know.

I personally can't complain as I like Stanley&Iris very much. Pete 'N Tillie was a nice surprise and an unexpected bonus on this release and another previously unreleased Williams score to see the light of day, which in itself is significant to me.

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

Why are a lot of people unhappy with the coupling? We get a SECOND SCORE we didn't expect, and we all would have bought the expanded S&I without it... so basically it's free bonus content. And it's to JW material previously unissued on CD so I don't see the problem? It should be manna from heaven, instead people are complaining... jeez, just be thankful don't you know.

Just deal with it. 

8 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Whoever gets their's first, please tell us if the insert has flipper artwork, with P 'n' T on the back :)

I think if it did, Varese would have included it on the website, no?

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

I personally can't complain as I like Stanley&Iris very much. Pete 'N Tillie was a nice surprise and an unexpected bonus on this release and another previously unreleased Williams score to see the light of day, which in itself is significant to me.

Yes, I completely agree! I haven't seen the movie/heard the score so this will be completely new to me! An unheard vintage JW score, now that's not everyday!

13 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Whoever gets their's first, please tell us if the insert has flipper artwork, with P 'n' T on the back :)

Just ran home from work to grab something and the CD was there- won't  get to give it a listen until later tonight, but the bad news is: no flip side Pete 'n' Tillie artwork. 😣

18 hours ago, Jay said:

I think if it did, Varese would have included it on the website, no?

Sometimes they can't even be bothered to post samples, so no, not necessarily.

For me it has varied from parcel to parcel. Sometimes I have gotten the shipping notice when I had already received the package and sometimes they have notified me when the package actually was posted. Check the status of your order on their website.

My copy departed from Miami on Monday. Should be here early next week at the latest I think. Fast service Varese. :) 

Yes. Apparently these packages have the strangest delivery routes and my copy travelled to Miami before heading over the Atlantic. Go figure.

Huh weird.  Mine arrived Saturday but I completely forgot to open it until today!  I've been busy!

Pete N Tillie is nice :)

My copy arrived this morning, luckily coinciding with a week off work so I am listening to it as I type.  Pete 'n' Tillie is a film I have never seen and a score with which I am completely unfamiliar, but I like what I hear; it reminds me a little of some of the music from The Paper Chase.

The previously unreleased music from Stanley & Iris provides some good contrast to what was on the original album, making for a more varied and enjoyable listen, I feel.

My copy is in Finland now. Arrived today at Helsinki Airport so it'll be here next week just as suspected.

I received mine yesterday, been listening this morning.  This is my first hearing of Stanley & Iris.  It sure is warm, cozy, and inviting.  This is destined to enter my rotation of albums I put on when I'm going to sleep (dominated this week by Howard Shore's Spotlight OST).

I just wished both this and the Bluray had used the original artwork. (or at least something that doesn't feature cut-out figures in photoshop) But anyway.

Bought both, and I'm expecting them in 10 days.

this seems much better:

rsz_stanley_iris_bd_booklet.png