STANLEY & IRIS (1990) - 2017 Varese Deluxe Edition paired with PETE 'N' TILLIE (World Premiere release)

Jay

it's my favorite of his "drama" scores

but it means the iso track on the blu ray is basically useless

I hope it's really released and not just a "tease" that will never happen

This is a sign that every little John Williams score will be released completely one day, as far as it is possible. When they make an effort for this, they will make an effort for everything else.

1 hour ago, king mark said:

it's my favorite of his "drama" scores

Nice!  I really enjoyed it in the film; Looking forward to listening to the score on its own now!

but it means the iso track on the blu ray is basically useless

Well, the Varese CD will be 16 bit and 44.1khz stereo, while this is 24bit 48khz 3-channel, so there's that.  Also, the isolated music contains some non-Williams source music if that interests you.

I hope it's really released and not just a "tease" that will never happen

I doubt Varese would have let Nick Redman reveal their plans unless it was certain to happen.

Such a lovely surprise! I honestly never thought this score would be a candidate for a Deluxe Edition, but I'm thrilled to bits, as I've loved this since first hearing it in 1990.

Can't wait to see what unreleased music will be included.

2017 is really off to a great start, film music wise.

I can't wait to hear it, but dang it, could there be a less appealing title for a SW/Jaws/E.T./Raiders/Superman fan than "Stanley & Iris"?

Not surprising, is it? After this and Towering Inferno are released, Earthquake and an original copy of Always should be the last gaps in my collection of actually released original Williams scores.

I haven't heard a note from this score, either.

I like that Williams is so open to revisiting and remastering his older scores, forgotten gems. It makes for a nice appetiser between the flagship releases like JP. There's so much to his filmography outside the Spielberg and Star Wars bubble.

And MM yet again! Gotta wonder if any other producer will touch a Williams expansion ever again? I hope not!

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I like that Williams is so open to revisiting and remastering his older scores, forgotten gems. It makes for a nice appetiser between the flagship releases like JP.

There's so much to his filmography outside the Spielberg and Star Wars bubble.

Yes, very well said!

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I haven't heard a note from this score, either.

I like that Williams is so open to revisiting and remastering his older scores, forgotten gems. It makes for a nice appetiser between the flagship releases like JP. There's so much to his filmography outside the Spielberg and Star Wars bubble.

And MM yet again! Gotta wonder if any other producer will touch a Williams expansion ever again? I hope not!

It's a lovely little "chamber" (ie small) score, pitched somewhere in between THE RIVER, and THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST. It's full of nice little American-sounding motifs, and low piano parts, and has been described as having "Autumnal warmth".

While in the same style as its immediate predecessor, it doesn't quite reach the cathedral heights of TAT. It is, however, a welcome, and important addition to JW's canon.

Buy this, as soon as it's released.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

There's so much to his filmography outside the Spielberg and Star Wars bubble.

And much better than the so-so 'Stanley and Iris' (the theme is nice as usual but the rest of the short underscore nothing to write home 'bout). The 70's Universal scores like 'Eiger Sanction', 'Pete'n'Tillie', 'Earthquake', 'Dracula' or even Thor's eternal 'Story of a Woman' and 'Daddy’s Gone A-Hunting' would be much appreciated.

I cant believe hard core fans here have not listened to all released Williams' OSTs.

I mean when i started my collection i went on a frenzy of getting everything available. And when something was not (ie out of print), well, there were other means.

How can anyone not have wanted to search for more Williams music...for 20-30 years!

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I cant believe hard core fans here have not listened to all released Williams' OSTs.

I mean when i started my collection i went on a frenzy of getting everything available. And when something was not (out of print), well, there were other means.

How can anyone not have wanted to search for more Williams music...for 20-30 years!

Yes, I'm equally surprised.

Well, it seems Star Warses, Indiana Jones, Jaws etc. prevail even among jwfans.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

While in the same style as its immediate predecessor, it doesn't quite reach the cathedral heights of TAT. It is, however, a welcome, and important addition to JW's canon.

I actually prefer Stanley and Iris much much more than The Accidental tourist.

Even just the main theme is more interesting I believe than TAT main theme.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

It's a lovely little "chamber" (ie small) score, pitched somewhere in between THE RIVER, and THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST

I haven't heard a note from those two scores, either. :lol:

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I mean when i started my collection i went on a frenzy of getting everything available. And when something was not (ie out of print), well, there were other means.

I've never come across it in stores, and for years now it's been on my list of scores that surely will be re-released before long, so there was no need to pick up the old release. I haven't heard a single note of it so far.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

I haven't heard a note from those two scores, either. :lol:

I've come to really appreciate The River over the years.

5 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Believe it. The only notes from Stan and Iris that I've heard are the notes Williams used in his more popular scores. These weird obscure titles that aren't sold anymore, yeah, it's too hard or expensive to track them down. Why would you make your music hard to listen to? That seems very mean. I don't listen to mean people's music. 

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Yes, I'm equally surprised.

Well, it seems Star Warses, Indiana Jones, Jaws etc. prevail even among jwfans.

I actually prefer Stanley and Iris much much more than The Accidental tourist.

Even just the main theme is more interesting I believe than TAT main theme.

I disagree.

Did I explained myself badly?

Score not available for purchase (out of print) for several years = look for mp3s or a Cd-r. Yeah it's not legit. But it is not available for purchase - and an overpriced second hand cd helps a label the same as a download...

I mean...for those scores i'm waiting for the complete or re-issue being released...but not listening to a possible Williams masterpiece until that momment... it's strange.

This is an absolutely wonderful score, but I guess the only positive thing I can say about this news is that the existing and perfectly fine soundtrack -- now hard-to-get and expensive on the secondary market, as far as I know -- is getting available for the masses again. It deserves to be heard by more people. So that's a good thing, regardless of its presentation.

8 hours ago, petaQ said:

The only notes from Stan and Iris that I've heard are the notes Williams used in his more popular scores. 

:lol:

Not sure if I'll buy this. I'll see when more info is released and what else Williams is going on. 

On 20/01/2017 at 9:26 PM, Bespin said:

So great! I've bought the original CD... what... 2 month ago? ;)

8 hours ago, MrScratch said:

I bought it two weeks ago. 😕

7 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I bought it two days ago.

So what, guys? I bought mine 27 years ago, and I'm not about to give it up.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:26 PM, Thor said:

This is an absolutely wonderful score, but I guess the only positive thing I can say about this news is that the existing and perfectly fine soundtrack -- now hard-to-get and expensive on the secondary market, as far as I know -- 

I'd been eyeing it for some time on eBay.  Sellers usually want $30 or so for it.  I found a seller with a near mint copy asking $26 or best offer (with free shipping).  I offered $18... thinking they'd counter offer and I was willing to go $20 or $22... but to my surprise they accepted the $18 offer.

I've never seen the movie and am not overly familiar with the OST.  How long is the entire score?  Are there any noteworthy themes or cues that weren't on the OST?

On 1/23/2017 at 10:08 AM, MrScratch said:

I've never seen the movie and am not overly familiar with the OST.  How long is the entire score?  Are there any noteworthy themes or cues that weren't on the OST?

I guess you missed this thread where that was discussed... Well, I suppose it makes sense to have that information in this thread too.

In the isolated music track on the Twilight Time Blu Ray, there's ~42 minutes of score and ~11 minutes of source music in the track (so about ~53 minutes total length).

The score cuts were basically the 28 minutes that are on the OST plus another ~14 minutes of unreleased cues, so all along the OST has only had about 2/3rds of the full score (and just over half of all music recorded).

So I guess the DE will be about 41-42 minutes.  That should have been how long the original OST was, they should have just included the entire score the first time around!  The unreleased  cues are all very much cut from the same cloth as the released ones; There's no wild surprises here.  If you like the 28 minutes released, you'll like the 14 minutes unreleased just as much!

I have no clue what the names of the unreleased tracks are, but here's the names I quickly came up with, with lengths, and where they go in a chronological order with the OST tracks

01 OST 01 Stanley And Iris (3:24)
02 OST 03 The Bicycle (3:07)
03 Fortune Cookies (1:08)
04 OST 06 Stanley At Work (1:31)
05 OST 07 Looking After Papa (3:10)
06 Reading Lessons Begin (1:07)
07 OST 09 Night Visit (1:58)
08 Reading Lessons Continue (1:26)
09 The Park (2:20)
10 OST 05 Finding A Family (1:41)
11 The Map Test (2:03)
12 OST 08 Stanley's Invention (1:17)
13  Another Reading Lesson (0:44)
14 OST 04 Factory Work (1:23)
15 OST 02 Reading Lessons (2:26)
16 Two Grown Up People (3:06)
17 OST 11 Putting It All Together (1:46)
18 OST 10 Letters (3:25)
19 The Proposal (1:41)
20 OST 12 End Credits (3:03)

Of course, the Varese DE could be ever longer if any of these cues are edited, and/or he wrote music for any scenes that got entirely deleted from the final cut, and/or any alternates were recorded.

The source music consisted of two Joe Williams cuts (one rock for the laundromat scene, one soft rock for the bar scene), a public domain high school band piece, A Haydn piece for piano, violin, and cello, and then 3 instrumental christmas carols (Deck The Halls, We Wish You A Merry Christmas, and Hark The Herald Angels Sing) which are really quite  nice.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I guess you haven't been reading this thread where I explained all that.  Well, I suppose it makes sense to have that information in this thread too.

I figured it was somewhere in the messageboard, just didn't have the time to go looking for it.  Thank you!

Perhaps there will also be some alternate or unused cues as well.