Is Don Davis' JP3 Score Under Appreciated?

artguy360

I've been listening to Don Davis' JP3 score lately and I'm surprised I don't hear more positive things about it on this forum. Its a pretty convincing JW imitation without sounding pastiche or off-kilter. Davis reuses a few motifs like the JP main theme and the carnivore motif and they sound appropriate, not rushed or out of place. Don Davis clearly put his JW hat on to write this score. Overall, the music is not amazing but I do find the fact that Don Davis so seamlessly worked in JW's musical language (without achieving the same heights) pretty remarkable.

Here's one example of the action music:

I've always been a big fan of this score. For me it's a perfect blend of Williams' original themes and style without rehashing the same orchestrations verbatim (as Giacchino did on JW). In fact, of all the sequel scores by other composers that used Williams themes (Jaws, Supes, SW, JP, Potter) I think it's my favourite (although Courage's SIV is also right up there for me). As for the film, that's a different matter altogether...

I do like Giacchino's score too, just not the way he incorporated the Williams material, which, as discussed at length elsewere, just feels tacked on and not properly integrated into the fabric of the score.

I like it very much, the only fault is like it sounds like "Williams on cocaine"... it's a little frenetic in some parts. It fits the film rather well anyway.

Can wait for the complete release by LLL!

I never liked the way he messed with the Williams themes just to try and make them sound a little different. Seemed forced.

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Can wait for the complete release by LLL!

Same here. At least we have the unreleased cues on Don Davis' site to tide us over: http://www.dondavis.net/audio/

Just wish the bitrates were a bit higher.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I always thought that THE ABDUCTION OF BARRY was Williams on cocaine...or, at least, on some sort of bad trip.

How about parts of Images?

:P

6 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I've been listening to Don Davis' JP3 score lately and I'm surprised I don't hear more positive things about it on this forum. 

Not sure what threads you are reading, I've seen tons of praise for this score on this board over the years.

If anything it's overrated on this forum. 

The writing is better than Jurassic World but it's even less memorable. It's a Williams pastiche but it lacks the magic of Williams. 

It's technically superior to 'Jurassic World' but still i enjoy this score much more. It's one of the very few recent Giacchino's where naive homage and pumped-up blockbuster sound really gel.

The movie really ruined everything for me. It's the first time I can remember going to see a flick and being disappointed. I wanted to walk out not even halfway through, but I somehow survived until Grant played a flute and spooked the feathered raptors. I think the fact that another sequel wasn't made until recently is kind of proof that even Universal, AMBLIN and company knew this one was a turd and they couldn't let another stinker out the door. I don't care how much money it made. So we got a reboot of the original which everyone loved except me.

But this one. Yikes. The cast is just so irritating. I just remember poor William H. Macy and Sam Neil walking through this fake-looking jungle with an annoying Tea Leoni and jungle boy. They must have thought it was going to be a good movie because it was Jurassic Park. The murder of the T-Rex by a giant duckosaurus with a ringtone, Ellie being with some other guy and the dinos all looking like crap just seemed so disrespectful to fans of the earlier ones. The tone is all wrong. The visual effects, like in Jurassic World, are inferior to the first two films.

I guess I can safely say that Davis' score is the only thing I liked. It's faithful to Williams and has some surprisingly Williams-esque original stuff, but it doesn't sound like he was imitating him. This and perhaps The Order of the Phoenix are the only scores for sequels in franchises that Williams established musically that I think did a little bit of justice.

It comfortably sits with Jaws: The Revenge as my favourite of the JW sequel scores. My only real caveat (along with the lack of electronics) is the recording, which sounds horribly metallic to my ears... Anyone else get that, or have I developed Williams-induced-tinnitus?

Jurassic World's score has more heart and more memorable original themes, but there is a nice technical precision and complexity to JP3's atmospheric and action music that is easy to enjoy. 

I've always enjoyed it and I too can't wait for LLL's expansion of it.

I agree with Jay there has been praise about this score on this board.  Unless you mean FSM but that is a different matter.

10 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

The murder of the T-Rex by a giant duckosaurus with a ringtone...

:lol2:

10 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

This and perhaps The Order of the Phoenix are the only scores for sequels in franchises that Williams established musically that I think did a little bit of justice.

I also enjoy parts of OOTP (Umbridge's theme, the integration of Hedwig's theme, the fireworks scene, flight to the ministry, Room of Requirement, Finale cue) but there's parts I find incredibly grating as well (the possession "theme" - more like noise, the music for the group flying from Privet Drive at the beginning).

Also wish Hooper had used the Window to the Past theme for the Harry/Sirius scenes. Anyway, back to JP ///.

It is a very competent sequel score, somewhat too frenetic at times but otherwise very entertaining. Davis' own thematic offering, the maudling Americana family theme is unfortunately just corny and is trampled all over by Williams' classier themes but when Davis comes to his own in the more biting action passages he sounds fine and in his own ballpark. His imitations of John Williams work about half of the time without inducing a cringe as they lack certain fluidity and grace of the originals and much thanks to Johnston they feel like obligatory nostalgia hooks rather than very well integrated into the rest of the score.

It feels like the director is suddenly aware of nostalgia in every scene even remotely reminding him of JP and goes "Oh shoot there is that brachiosaurus, quick Don use the hymn theme from JP! This needs some wonder! WONDER I TELL YOU! Then again something like the 4-note carnivore motif is given a great spin by Davis in his raptor music.

So while not the most memorable piece Davis has ever written it is a nice little sequel score, which I definitely prefer over the Jurassic World.

Its kind of strange to stop and think about all the non-JW composed follow ups to JW scores. 2 Jurassic Park scores, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Rogue One in a way, among others.

I think Don Davis did understand the "inevitable" quality of JW's music, particularly in how the action music builds in a logical/inevitable way. The action music doesn't sound forced, out of place, confused, or pastiche. That's pretty impressive to me. 

I almost want to make comparisons to Rogue One but I'll resist.

38 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

I think Don Davis did understand the "inevitable" quality of JW's music, particularly in how the action music builds in a logical/inevitable way. The action music doesn't sound forced, out of place, confused, or pastiche.

Honestly, i can think of better ways of spending my time than to listen to action music from JPIII. It's really best left in the movie.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

Honestly, i can think of better ways of spending my time than to listen to action music from JPIII. It's really best left in the movie.

With Téa Leoni and her screaming.