Terminator 6: Dark Fate (2019)

Jay

• 5 months later...

First details of the new main character have emerged. The character is Dani Ramos, an early-twenties woman from New Mexico who is described as being 'more stree-smart than book-smart'.

It's looking like the film will start shooting in May and will finish in November. Locations include the UK, Spain and Budapest.

SOURCE

• 1 month later...

Since Hamilton is returning (I thought her character died sometime before T3), is this film going to be similar to the Halloween 2018 situation, where all the films after T2 are ignored and it takes place after T2?

Just now, someonefun124 said:

Since Hamilton is returning (I thought her character died sometime before T3), is this film going to be similar to the Halloween 2018 situation, where all the films after T2 are ignored and it takes place after T2?

Yes: this serves as a direct sequel to Terminator 2.

Every new entry, including the TV series, seems to ignore everthing else after T2.

I haven't seen anything Terminator related after 3.  My interest in this film is piqued since Hamilton is returning.  Maybe Fiedel can get involved as well... I've read he has expressed interest since Cameron is involved.

I haven't seen anything Terminator related after 3.  My interest in this film is piqued since Hamilton is returning.  Maybe Fiedel can get involved as well... I've read he has expressed interest since Cameron is involved.

Oh, yes. I'd love to see Fiedel return. It would be interesting to see how he 'modernizes' his sounds from the original films.

38 minutes ago, Gistech said:

The film has been pushed back to November next year, and the official title has been revealed to simply be Terminator.

Source

Great title!  I was beginning to worry there wouldn't be a terminator in it!

IMO they should break the chain and have Ahnold be the bad guy again.

• 1 month later...

It was moved to a Terminator thread. Now we create just as much clutter discussing where it is as if it was just left here :P 

7 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

I also enjoy the 3D show they had at Universal Studios, directed by James Cameron.

He always referred to that as a 'stepping stone to a third theatrical film' so he'd always wanted to do one. It's just that the studio told him he could direct only and he hated the idea of not being able to write the story. Now he's gotten the chance, but his story is likely to have changed somewhat.

There's the explanation for why Lovejoy went after them in the deleted scene! He was a T-1200 sent back earlier to root out the lineage!

2 hours ago, Gistech said:

He always referred to that as a 'stepping stone to a third theatrical film' so he'd always wanted to do one. It's just that the studio told him he could direct only and he hated the idea of not being able to write the story. Now he's gotten the chance, but his story is likely to have changed somewhat.

Why wasn't he allowed to write it?

Just now, Margo Channing said:

Why wasn't he allowed to write it?

I don't think that's been disclosed, but his displeasure is stated in the Terminator Vault book.

12 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

I also enjoy the 3D show they had at Universal Studios, directed by James Cameron.

I managed to see that in 2009 before it closed and it was awesome. Amazing use of 3D and smoke for the 'live'' sections.

I always wondered whether the brief use of live actors pushed the cost up and caused its closure, because apart from that, they just needed a few huge 3D screens and a smoke machine.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The film is officially called Terminator: Dark Fate. You probably already knew that, though, because of the Junkie XL announcement.

Here's a description of the footage shown yesterday at Cinemacon: https://www.slashfilm.com/terminator-dark-fate-footage-reaction-cinemacon-2019/

The first footage opens on Mexico City at night. On a highway on a bridge, the road begins to ice up and electricity begins to crackle all around it while a thick wall of fog appears. A time travel bubble materializes in the middle of the bridge, breaking it in half and sending the female figure within it flying several dozen feet to the ground below, while the cars on the highway crash into each other — perhaps a nod to how time travel in past films always seems to take place on level ground. Two onlookers, a Mexican couple making out in the river tunnel, pick up the naked and groggy time traveler, who is revealed to be Mackenzie Davis. Davis’ character is either a Terminator or enhanced in some way, as evidenced by the way she reacts and attacks the cops that approach her when they arrive on the scene. The attack is shown in Davis’ character’s POV, with on-screen displays from her vision popping up onscreen. The couple watches in amazement and utter, “Thanks lady, you just saved our asses.” She replies to not thank her just yet and, sizing up her foot against the guy’s foot, takes his clothes and drives off in their car.

In a new scene, black metallic T-1000 style sludge forms into the villain (Gabriel Luna) who can split into two and reform another Terminator. He and an endoskeleton Terminator chase after Davis’ character, who is protecting a young girl. “When they start to kill me, run” Davis says to the little girl before Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) suddenly appears and begins blasting the blasting at the Terminators with a huge gun. Battle-worn and badass, Sarah Connor then pulls a rocket launcher off her shoulder and blows the Terminator away.

The last piece of footage includes a montage of Luna’s liquid Terminator slicing through soldiers in a hallway with sharp arms, Sarah Connor fighting alongside Arnold Schwarzenegger’s T-800, a shot of the T-800 bursting through a door in a helicopter,  a glimpse of Davis blasting Terminators with tentacles in what appears to be a Judgment Day-ravaged battlefield, and finally a closing shot of Sarah Connor dropping a bomb over the side of a bridge and cooly saying, “I’ll be back.”

I'll remain neutral on this until I see the context. It certainly doesn't sound as convoluted as the previous installment, but it does sound like a big 'hit the rest button on the franchise' might be going on. I'd be interested to see how/if this manages to loop back to T1 and T2.

Also curious is that there are scenes set in the aftermath of T2, with Jude Collins playing Edward Furlong's John, yet no adult John has been cast. My guess: Arnold's T-800 was a 'backup' for either the 1984 T-800 or the T-1000, and successfully locates and terminates John, and then goes into hiding since its mission is complete.

Schwarzenegger plays both the T-800 model 101 and the human who it was modeled after in the film.  So that could be a pic of him as the human and not the Terminator.

Anyways they already wrote into the story in Terminator 5 why the robot version ages anyway

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

Schwarzenegger plays both the T-800 model 101 and the human who it was modeled after in the film.  So that could be a pic of him as the human and not the Terminator.

Anyways they already wrote into the story in Terminator 5 why the robot version ages anyway

It's entirely possible that, in this instance, they're one and the same and they just haven't told us yet. After all, Skynet was built based on the first Terminator's CPU, so it would fit.

Genisys isn't canon to this film, but it is a valid point: James Cameron has maintained the idea of the flesh sheath aging.