Terminator 6: Dark Fate (2019)

Jay

Different footage including slightly more on the original Future War. I'm assuming this is the 'red band' version of the trailer:

2 hours ago, Gistech said:

Different T-800.

Reveal hidden contents

It's already confirmed to be R-rated.

Hmm, maybe there's hope. Salvation's shittiness meant I skipped Genysis. 

Edward Furlong's role in Dark Fate is a small role: https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2478367/terminator-2s-edward-furlong-is-really-happy-to-return-for-dark-fate

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Hmm, maybe there's hope. Salvation's shittiness meant I skipped Genysis. 

Genisys had nothing to do with Salvation anyway, but you made the right call regardless.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Brief nudity, eh? Preferably not by Ahnult or Hamilton ... they've both disrobed for this franchise in the past, but nobody wants to see that now lol.  

I'm going to assume it's to do with the time travel sequences as always. So it'll be Gabriel Luna and Mackenzie Davis.

38 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Awaiting the bad reviews...

As a misguided teenager, I was very excited for Alien Vs Predator: Requiem when I discovered it was going to be R rated. "None of that watered down PG-13 quadrant pandering this time! This is the real deal, nothing's holding them back! It'll recapture the glory of the old movies! "

What lie in wait, my mind could not fathom, my soul could not prepare for....

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Harumph! It's "lots of nudity", or nothing!

The 'content advice' mentioning it is a little weird ... the scenes Gistech mentions are usually filmed from behind the actor in question, and if a few shots of someone's unclothed ass are truly offensive to you, you're at the wrong movie :lol:

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

As a misguided teenager, I was very excited for Alien Vs Predator: Requiem when I discovered it was going to be R rated. "None of that watered down PG-13 quadrant pandering this time! This is the real deal, nothing's holding them back! It'll recapture the glory of the old movies! "

What lie in wait, my mind could not fathom, my soul could not prepare for....

AVPR is entertaining pastiche schlock but it's aged terribly as AVP1 is simply a more lavish and ambitious movie despite the PG13 rating.

I remember when I was 11, I saw the trailer for the first AVP, with the coolest tagline ever ("No matter who wins... We lose"), and I went crazy for the movie, I wanted to watch it ASAP. Then, I rented the VHS, hoping for an ultraviolent movie on which two monsters hunt each other while also devouring the pathetic humans... 90 minutes later, I was extremely disappointed.

Not only the action scenes were terrible, they also made the capital sin (on the mind of 11-year-old me) of turning the Predator into the hero of the story, helping the human battling the Alien queen. He wasn't supposed to be a hero, actually, this movie shouldn't have no "heroes" aside from the humans, which, of course, would be mercilessly hunted. 

One of my first disappointments with movies :( Why movies about showdowns between iconic characters always turn out to be pretty bad? Freddy vs Jason, AVP, AVPR, Batman vs Superman...

33 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

One of my first disappointments with movies :( Why movies about showdowns between iconic characters always turn out to be pretty bad? Freddy vs Jason, AVP, AVPR, Batman vs Superman...

Well Godzilla vs Kong will be different!

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

It's from the director of the hilariously bad Netflix Death Note movie, so I'm not that confident... But I really hope it's good.

Not sure it matters who directs these MonsterVerse flicks. It's more the writers and producers that matter.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I remember when I was 11, I saw the trailer for the first AVP, with the coolest tagline ever ("No matter who wins... We lose"), and I went crazy for the movie, I wanted to watch it ASAP. Then, I rented the VHS, hoping for an ultraviolent movie on which two monsters hunt each other while also devouring the pathetic humans... 90 minutes later, I was extremely disappointed.

Not only the action scenes were terrible, they also made the capital sin (on the mind of 11-year-old me) of turning the Predator into the hero of the story, helping the human battling the Alien queen. He wasn't supposed to be a hero, actually, this movie shouldn't have no "heroes" aside from the humans, which, of course, would be mercilessly hunted. 

Almost exactly my experience, we're probably months apart at most.

2 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Not sure it matters who directs these MonsterVerse flicks. It's more the writers and producers that matter.

I liked the directions on all of the movies on the franchise so far. Gareth Edwards, Vogt-Roberts and Michael Dougherty did fine jobs on creating visually interesting movies.

But yeah, Godzilla v Kong is a very different movie than Death Note, so he might do a good job.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Almost exactly my experience, we're probably months apart at most.

Lol. Paul W.S. Anderson ruining the childhood of boys born in the early 1990s craving for some violent monster action!

Ohh, I can see it now: thousands of 30-something husbands, in the 'burbs in therapy

"AVP raped my chdhood".

11 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The 'content advice' mentioning it is a little weird ... the scenes Gistech mentions are usually filmed from behind the actor in question, and if a few shots of someone's unclothed ass are truly offensive to you, you're at the wrong movie :lol:

Sweep, with few exceptions,

no-one's  unclothed ass is offensive, to me :lol:

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Strange, many say it's just as bad as the other bad Terminator movies. Having watched the trailers, I'm inclined to believe them. 

I'd heard the opposite prior to seeing the film though there were some 'dissenters' from those reviews. TBH those saying it's as bad as Genisys are probably salty they didn't get their extremely safe, boring-as-hell John Connor-owns-the Future movie where there's absolutely no stakes, the outcome is already guaranteed because they want it to loop back to the first films. I've certainly come across people who are like that.

To each their own, TBH. But it is far from being as bad as the previous three. It's holding steady at 67% on RT (a measure I personally don't like using since it's a like-dislike ratio rather than a true score) which is pretty good in an environment where critics appear to have become more hostile to films from the 'wrong people' (IE anything not Disney mainstream, Star Wars or Marvel).

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

At least this movie finally recognized that this was never Arnold's franchise.  It was always Linda's.

Are you suggesting she is a terminator?  

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

T2 is obviously the best one.

Yeah, that goes without saying for a lot of people (you'll note it's my favourite too in rankings, with T1 behind it). It's a case of lightning striking and it will never strike that place again. Star Wars has that with TESB. Star Trek has that with TWoK.

Still, I appreciate Dark Fate much more for just trying to be a good film rather than actively trying to one-up its direct predecessor (T2). I think that's where the previous films went wrong: T3 was written by hacks who publicly admitted they hated T2 and deliberately tried to write rubbish so they could get tossed out of the project. Salvation was written by those same hacks. Genisys tried to one-up the 'Terminator is good' twist with 'John is evil' but the surrounding story was far too convoluted to ever work in a single film, its treatment of the T-800 was a huge step backwards from T2 by essentially making it dumb as rocks with no capacity for learning, and the cast was largely atrocious. Any decent writer could take Genisys' premise and split it into three stories with a bit of good writing.

I don't think it's a perfect film, but it was necessary for it to hit the reset button on the franchise without going the 'full-on 100% reboot' route. Whether you agree Dark Fate is a good film or not... well, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. This is just how I view things.

All these time travel plots are stupid. I mean, all time travel storylines are guilty of really not making any sense, but this series has gone way, way too far. We're past the point where the stupidity of Skynet can be excused due to sheer entertainment value.