New Jerry Goldsmith Projects in 2017?

Brundlefly

On 25 January 2017 at 7:05 AM, Rose Dawson said:

We need a new version of Congo that is properly mastered.

Oh dear, what was wrong with Congo?

Oh, I also wouldn't mind if someone released Damnation Alley (on it's own - are the missing synths a problem?) and The Reincarnation of Peter Proud.

9 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Oh, I also wouldn't mind if someone released Damnation Alley (on it's own - are the missing synths a problem?) and The Reincarnation of Peter Proud.

Now you're talking.

What are special labels like La-La Land and Intrada going to do, when there are just Varese titles left. Will they probably buy the licences from Varese to do at least a few new Goldsmith titles or will we have to wait for Varese slowly releasing the rest of uncompleted Goldsmith scores over several decades? Or are there any scores like Jaws 2 that can be completed by another label although the OST is a Varese title?

Varese never owned Jaws 2 in perpetuity. 

The LP first came out on MCA Records, they just did a CD later. 

On 1.2.2017 at 1:25 PM, Jay said:

Varese never owned Jaws 2 in perpetuity. 

The LP first came out on MCA Records, they just did a CD later. 

So - is there any Jerry Goldsmith CD by Varese which was earlier produced by another label?

17 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

So - is there any Jerry Goldsmith CD by Varese which was earlier produced by another label?

Yes, of course.

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/composerdiscography.php?composerid=27

On 28 January 2017 at 11:44 PM, Daniel Clamp said:

Some loudness war issue.

Not that I care since I just listen to the OST anyway.

Oh no, not the dreaded brickwalling issue?! Did Eric Labson master that one too?

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea, but non of the 90s' titles - too bad. Varese should hurry up or at least sell a few licences to other labels - will they do? - doubt it.

Nah, Townson won't license them out to others. He'll get around to expanding them all himself eventually. 

• 1 month later...

Isn't The Swarm out of print? I would not mind a re-release since I don't own it.

44 minutes ago, publicist said:

Shabby? It sounds great and is complete..

It sounds like it was recorded underwater, and the booklet is pitiful.

It's not quite complete.

Having said that, it is an absolutely essential purchase.

Is "The Swarm" a great Goldsmith soundtrack or is it one of those casually composed scores, like "U.S. Marshals" or "Executive Decision"? I'm asking because I know four of his scores from 1978 and they're all great, so there has to be at least one less ambitious score. ;-)

20 hours ago, publicist said:

Except that it wasn't. There was no special LP recording for this.

According to Jerry Goldsmith Online (not to mention my ears!) it was, and there is.

FFI, please see JGO > Soundtracks > The Swarm > previous release(s) > WB LP re-recording, 1978.

FSM cleared that up in their buyer's guide. A lot of scores around that time were re-recorded so it was assumed but apparently Goldsmith just edited down his LA sessions for the LP. Also i am a rather exacting headphone listener and both releases feature the same studio characteristics not to mention certain brass flubs like in 'The Bees Arrive'.

16 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It's a fantastic and inventive score for an awful movie!

That is our Jerry!:P

16 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Magic and The Boys from Brazil aren't top shelf Goldsmith for me, so there's room for a third great Goldsmith score in 1978 in my book.

?!

It's another great question: What's the best year of Jerry Goldsmith, regarding quantity and quality of his scores?

Without a hint of a shadow of a doubt, it's 1978!

16 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Magic and The Boys from Brazil aren't top shelf Goldsmith for me, so there's room for a third great Goldsmith score in 1978 in my book.

MAGIC might not be "top shelf", but TBFB is absolutely stunning, and, whatever way you slice it, a major work.

Marian...oh, fuck it (punches computer screen).

1 hour ago, publicist said:

FSM cleared that up in their buyer's guide. A lot of scores around that time were re-recorded so it was assumed but apparently Goldsmith just edited down his LA sessions for the LP. Also i am a rather exacting headphone listener and both releases feature the same studio characteristics not to mention certain brass flubs like in 'The Bees Arrive'.

I hear what you're saying, Pub, but I'm still not convinced, for two reasons:

1) I seem to recall seeing the credit "Performed by the National Philharmonic Orchestra" on the LP sleeve, and

2) I was under the impression that JG recorded this as a "job lot", in England, , along with TBFB, and CAPRICORN ONE.

Either way, it's a fantastic score!!!!

I think Magic is one of his best scores - each track is different, little repetitions, a wonderfully inventive instrumentation, great harmonies and chord successions and a brilliant and disturbing transition from beautiful to terrifying music - a very elaborated work.

14 hours ago, Richard said:

MAGIC might not be "top shelf", but TBFB is absolutely stunning, and, whatever way you slice it, a major work.

Marian...oh, fuck it (punches computer screen).

I used to love the waltz, so I was excited when the Intrada came out, but it turns out I never listened to it a lot.

5 hours ago, publicist said:

No slouching in the 1975 - 1983 period.

Well, it is not difficult to be no slouching of this period.

21 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I used to love the waltz, so I was excited when the Intrada came out, but it turns out I never listened to it a lot.

TBfB is great, but honestly it is hard to listen to. It took me a lot of time until I could fully enjoy it.

I didn't take into consideration: It's the 20th anniversary of "Air Force One" and "L.A. Confidential" and the 30th anniversary of "Lionheart" (additionally the 25th anniversary of "Medicine Man").

I mean, our expectations of "The Omen" last year became true. I predict it will be at least one of them.

• 1 month later...

La-La Land's output of Goldsmith was very poor for the last years. They've either released some very old western scores or reissued some stuff of Intrada or Varese. Are they working on something great!:D