89th Academy Awards (2017 Ceremony for 2016 films)

Disco Stu

2 minutes ago, Uni said:

This is why the Oscars should NOT be decided by the Electoral College!!!

On the contrary! That would be a far more exciting show!

And CNN has just called Florida for Emma Stone...but, wait, we're hearing that Natalie Portman may have won Texas...

I'm sure this whole affair will herald a whole new wave of "fake news" and anti-liberal media attacks for the weeks to come.

I'm sure it wasn't an publicity stunt. 

Uneventful Oscars ends with major talking point that makes it the most talked about news story in the Western world this morning? 

Naaah. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I thought Amy Adams in Arrival was the best female acting performance I saw all year

Agreed. She really brought something new to the Lois Lane character.

8 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Me neither. Just saw the hullabaloo on twitter when I woke up

In the wake of....

Reading back this thread and the Best Score category must have been the dullest in recent history. Almost no comments about it.

This article put LLL's Oscar win in the music category in perspective...and i happen to agree with the the mild flak it gets, so 'What Do Actual L.A. Jazz Musicians Think of La La Land's Portrayal of L.A. Jazz?'

http://www.laweekly.com/music/what-do-actual-la-jazz-musicians-think-of-la-la-lands-portrayal-of-la-jazz-7952454

I knew it was Oscar night and expected to just wake up and passively notice a 'LaLaLand sweeps Oscars' headline.

Hehehehe - that's a rather embarrassing screw-up, especially considering how well-guarded the envelopes are. I always thought that the PwC people personally handed envelopes to the presenters - it's hard to picture how they managed to logistically get this wrong.

Well it would only be the two PwC people. It's those 30 seconds following the 'LaLaLand' announcement where they're in 'oh shit'' mode, and need to communicate the problem.

I wonder if they will change anything about the envelope handling routine as a result of this.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Did they include Bill Paxton in the In Memoriam?

The video montage was already assembled before his passing, so Jennifer Aniston mentioned him during her introduction (and got choked up doing so).  He might be in next year's montage.

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but each side of the stage has a Price Waterhouse rep with a complete set of envelopes, so there are two for each award.  It depends on where the presenter is coming from.  That's how Emma Stone could have her envelope, and the same/wrong envelope could get handed to Beatty.

That went from being the worst ceremony in years to the best one thanks to that ending. Staged or not, it felt real in a sea of fakeness.

Like watching a bad movie that has a brilliant ending. 

Why on earth would they have staged something as a that would put a damper on the whole night for all of the people onstage for La La Land?

(I use "put a damper" instead of "ruin," because a lot of those people got statues earlier)

10 hours ago, publicist said:

This article put LLL's Oscar win in the music category in perspective...and i happen to agree with the the mild flak it gets, so 'What Do Actual L.A. Jazz Musicians Think of La La Land's Portrayal of L.A. Jazz?'

http://www.laweekly.com/music/what-do-actual-la-jazz-musicians-think-of-la-la-lands-portrayal-of-la-jazz-7952454

And the Oscar for most salient example of contemporary critical navel gazing in article form goes to....

While viewership has trended downwards on the Oscars (much like viewership has trended downward on pretty much everything in the past 10 years), last year's was still the 5th highest rated TV showing of the year, and the #1 non-sports show.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/more-tv-news/the-100-most-watched-tv-programs-of-2016-super-bowl-50-leads-by-a-mile/

Something big happening at the very end of the telecast wasn't going to raise their ratings last night, and all of the news today was going to be about the Oscars regardless of who won.  Not sure what they would have gained.

I have a friend who works in a non-awards-related capacity for the Academy, and she was dreading going into work today.  Her phone has also been going off the hook.  This wasn't a Thing, it was a major screw-up for them.

41 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I have a friend who works in a non-awards-related capacity for the Academy, and she was dreading going into work today.  Her phone has also been going off the hook.  This wasn't a Thing, it was a major screw-up for them.

Or was it?!

conspiracy.gif

2 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

And the Oscar for most salient example of contemporary critical navel gazing in article form goes to....

Yeah, this doesn't seem to worth it. It's the same discussion as whether orchestral film music is still as worthy as concert music. Blah, blah, blah... Zzzz.

As for the Oscars, I stopped following this circus about 13 years ago. Can't be bothered to care. Heard Moonlight won then? Bit of a shame cause it is a really good piece of cinema.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Heard Moonlight won then? Bit of a shame cause it is a really good piece of cinema.

If you think its a good piece of cinema, then why do you say its a shame it won?

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

If you think its a good piece of cinema, then why do you say its a shame it won?

Because I don't have much respect for the Academy.

Karol

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

As for the Oscars, I stopped following this circus about 13 years ago. Can't be bothered to care. Heard Moonlight won then? Bit of a shame cause it is a really good piece of cinema.

Well, I'm the king of 'not caring'. When they cited the awarded movies on the news, it was the first time I've ever heard of them. I'll probably never watch them too.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

What do you mean?  Am I into watching awards ceremonies?  Or am I into caring about who wins them?

Considering your avatar and the fact that you live posted during the Oscar Ceremony I would say you are made about them!

There's nothing wrong with watching the Oscars and rooting for your favourite films of the year. Especially if money is involved ;)

I've never watched the Emmys before, I don't think.  Never watched the Grammys.  No idea what ceremony the Winona Ryder gif is from (SAG awards maybe?), it just makes me laugh

I watch the Oscars every year, but its not like I sit there in rapt attention, paying total attention to everything happening.  I was on my laptop the entire time doing a bunch of stuff, and only looked up occasionally to see some comedy bit, see if a film I liked won something, see some speech that seemed interesting, etc.