R.I.P. John Hurt

crumbs

21 hours ago, king mark said:

RIP.

He was only 77?...he looked like he was 90 years old though

Even in Alien he looked older than he really was. And yes for about the last 15 years he's looked like he's at deaths door.

John Hurt has been one of my favourite (even if not quite a top favourite) actors ever since I saw Alien.

On 28.1.2017 at 3:38 AM, crumbs said:

But yeah, there's some serious longevity in the Alien actors. Tom Skeritt is 83, Ian Holm is 85, Harry Dean Stanton is 90.

Ian Holm, who has been one of my top favourite actors since watching Alien (I was exhilarated when they cast him as Bilbo) was treated for prostate cancer in the early 2000s. Sadly, he hasn't done much post LOTR, and practically nothing since 2006.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Even in Alien he looked older than he really was. And yes for about the last 15 years he's looked like he's at deaths door.

Hurt never looked well. He looked sick in Alien, even in the beginning of the film. He didn't look worse than usual in Contact, even with heavy cancer makeup.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Its strange, and not a little sad, that Yates sucked the life out of his performance in DHpt2.

He could have been replaced with another actor, and a lot of people would not have noticed.

He was a solid actor but did have some missteps.  This one was a horrible character and performance.

indiana-jones-kingdom-of-the-crystal-sku

5 hours ago, Richard said:

Its strange, and not a little sad, that Yates sucked the life out of his performance in DHpt2.

He could have been replaced with another actor, and a lot of people would not have noticed.

Ollivander was captured and tortured in Deathly Hallows... did you expect Hurt to play the character exactly like in Sorcerer's Stone? Hurt's few scenes in DH was absolutely fine.

Hurt was a wonderful and versatile actor, so many different roles throughout his lifetime. Except for KOTCS, I think he did that just to say "I worked with Steven Spielberg!"