Video: U.S. National Symphony Orchestra Performs Lincoln and JFK Suites on 1/22/17

Will

A couple of my relatives are members of the orchestra so I got a heads up about this:

http://www.medici.tv/#!/gianandrea-noseda-williams-copland-bernstein-gershwin

Pretty cool! I'd never seen the Lincoln suite performed (only heard audio). 

In addition to the Williams suites, there are several other American pieces.

I rather like Bernstein's JFK fanfare, which I'd never heard before. 

As a side note, this Medici site is actually rather cool. 

Thanks for sharing!

The first piece from Lincoln, I think it's called "The People's House" seems to be played a little fast here. It feels like a casual run through of the piece, without the same emotion the recording from the OST has. Listening to the whole thing, I'm not a fan of this particular performance/suite. Even the solo piano is missing the sense of loneliness and loss I get from the OST version. 

It's really cool to see video of the "Getting Out the Vote" concert arrangement, which is just total Williams awesome-ness, performed. 

So much cooler when you can see it. 

2 hours ago, Will said:

It's really cool to see video of the "Getting Out the Vote" concert arrangement, which is just total Williams awesome-ness, performed. 

So much cooler when you can see it. 

I was about to write that I found this arrangement awefull. It give solos to some people in the orchestra, ok, but while they do their thing, we sleep.

This arrangement passes beside something, comparing to the original.

Maybe it's just the performance or the sound mix...

And it's a pity that someone in the audience is dying of tuberculosis while they play the Elegy!

The Lincoln suite sounds great!  These particular pieces work really well together in succession, in my musically uneducated opinion.  And I love that I finally have access to the amazing (sorry, Bespin) concert version of "Getting Out the Vote."  It's like "War Horse Comes to America"! B-)

I'm only partway through, but am I correct in my presumption that there's an orchestral version of Billy Joel's "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant" coming up?  If so, I may have to quit my job to devote the rest of my life to finding a recording of it.  Stay tuned...

Pretty cool. I love JFK here!  Although fr some reason the output of the volume is a bit low on the website stream. Is this available on their youtube channel as yet?

On 28/1/2017 at 11:34 AM, Miguel Andrade said:

By the way, this isn't the first time I've heard the suite with the Elegy in with "Malice Toward None" played without a pause. 

He did the same in Chicago during the concerts he did in 2013. I remember that, after the "Elegy", JW kept his left arm in mid-air to prevent audience from clapping and then started almost immediately with "With Malice Toward None" (the version for trumpet and orchestra, which was played with haunting beauty by CSO principal trumpet Christopher Martin).

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

(...) JW kept his left arm in mid-air to prevent audience from clapping (...)

Conducting the public and the orchestra altogether. :up:

16 hours ago, azahid said:

Pretty cool. I love JFK here!  Although fr some reason the output of the volume is a bit low on the website stream. Is this available on their youtube channel as yet?

Yeah, I noticed the low volume too.