BloodBoal

Well this was unexpected BB. Looking forward to reading this tonight! :)

Wow, @BloodBoal!

This is quite a post -- gosh, you must be really interested in this score!! And it's not even Williams!

Probably won't get around to this score for a while, but when I do, I'll be sure to follow along with this. 

I actually didn't even know it existed until now. ;)

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

As I suspected, you talk about Breil in Impossible Silence. ;) Good!

Since you probably did a lot of research on him, do you know by any chance if there is a good orchestral recording available of his score for Intolerance? It seems there is no CD release of that score, and the various DVD releases of the film don't feature Breil's music (well, there is one that does apparently, but it's performed on synths...), and the Blu-Ray release features a score by Carl Davis.

On a sidenote: cleaned up the main post (when I copied/pasted the text from Word to the forum, it messed up everything, adding lots of linebreaks, etc.) and also reduced the audio files' size in order for them to load more quickly. Everything should work fine now.

No, there's no good recording of Breil's Intolerance at this time ... which is a shame as, musically speaking, I find it to be his best work for film.

EDIT: I should also mention that there actually was original film music that predated Saint-Saëns' charming effort, though some works were more "traditional" (by today's standards) than others. Saint-Saëns is generally remembered because he was the first big, brandname composer to write specifically for film. 

Excellent and meticulous work BB! I have read the whole thing now (an admirably lengthy analysis I might add) and while I have not heard the score previously I'll make an effort to try to find it and give it a thorough listen. I confess that my knowledge of these very early days of cinema and film music is very basic so this write-up was very educational as well. I'll certainly re-read the whole thing to get better acquainted with all the details as there is a lot to take in, especially when the work is entirely unknown to me.

Breil seems to have created an impressive and interesting tapestry from both the well known melodies of the past and his own work. A very ambitious project music-wise in scope and length.

Oh and the sound clips were definitely most welcome guide while reading! :) 

12 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

You sound surprised. I take it you didn't listen to the samples I posted in the "What Is The Last Score You Listened To?" thread!

Correct. I did not. 

I do enjoy the samples I've listened to here, I'm going to dig into the review itself over the next week or two.  I'm tangentially familiar with only a few silent-era scores.

Unsurprisingly, perhaps, the one I'm most familiar with is the astounding, jaw-dropping score for Metropolis by Gottfried Huppertz.

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Haven't listened to that one yet (I did listen to his Die Nibelungen score, which is pretty good).

I know you frown upon sampling scores on YouTube but this should give you a pretty good idea of how great Metropolis is, especially when put to picture.

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Don't make me say something I didn't say: I'm fine with sampling a score on Youtube to see if you could be interested in it... before giving it a proper listen from start to finish. I simply don't believe that checking just one or two random tracks from a score, liking them and then moving on to something completely different, only to return to one or two other random tracks from said score is the best way to discover and enjoy a score (on Youtube or any other platform, for that matter).

Anyway! No need to sell that score to me. It's on my "Scores to listen to" list. But moving chronologically through film music history, they are a few I have to check before that one. ;)

Are you saying you are doing a C&C listen of the entirety of film music history BB? ;)

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Thor's nightmare?

Instead of that listening experience the composers originally arranged and intended? Surely such a thing would be an anathema of the greatest order!

On 1/30/2017 at 11:25 AM, BloodBoal said:

ANALYSIS OF THE COMPLETE SCORE.

I used the Robert Israel recording found on the Kino, Image and Eureka DVD releases of the film

SMITH, Matthew Wilson. April 2008. "American Valkyries: Richard Wagner, D. W. Griffith, And The Birth Of Classical Cinema". Modernism/modernity. 15: 221-242.

STERN, Seymour. 1965. "The Film's Score: The Film Was Called "A Musical Spectacle"". Film Culture. 36.

Greetings, BloodBoal. May I please draw your attention to an important item? Although I am intimately familiar with Joseph Carl Breil's mammoth work for this D.W. Griffith feature, I have never recorded this score. The recording which has been misattributed to me was done by Eric Beheim.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely yours,

Robert Israel

• 5 months later...