Garrison Family Theme: one of Williams' most beautiful melodies

Sandor

Can we get a little love for the Garrison Family Theme from JFK? I think it's one of Williams' most beautiful melodies, something Morricone would write in his sleep (and I mean that as a compliment). 

Has the theme ever been performed in concert (don't think so) and does it appear in other cues in the film? Haven't seen it since 1991...

That piece really stood out for me when I first saw the film in a theater. I had only recently begun buying soundtracks, and I didn't know Williams had scored JFK until I saw his name in the opening credits. 

Yes it is one of those effortless beautiful melodies akin to Remembering Petticoat Lane or My Friend Brachiosaurus that Williams seemed to pen for these brief scenes in the 90's on a whim. It has been my favourite ever since I first heard it on the OST.

Although THE CONSPIRITORS will forever remain my favourite cue on JFK, the Garrison Theme is a lovely piece. It's a great shame, that, although JFK is a truly great score, it doesn't necessarily make for a coherent listen. In this regard, I liken it to POTA; a brilliant score, but not an easy ride, by any means. I'm not even sure if a complete presentation would rectify this.

There is a good chance you might be able to test that in the near future. Rumor has it that JFK complete release is in the works at LLL. Which should include at least one other (piano) rendition of the Garrison family theme if the film is anything to go by.

Lovely theme. It belongs in the same collection of quite underrated Williams' melodies like If We Were in Love, How Can I Remember, Sean's theme from Minority Report, David's theme from A.I and a fistful of others.

On 31.1.2017 at 5:55 PM, TownerFan said:

Lovely theme. It belongs in the same collection of quite underrated Williams' melodies like If We Were in Love, How Can I Remember, Sean's theme from Minority Report, David's theme from A.I and a fistful of others.

"If We Were In Love"?! I mean, it's OK for what it is -- especially in its instrumental version -- but the Pavarotti version is really cheesy, IMO.

On 31/01/2017 at 4:55 PM, TownerFan said:

Nice. You can add LOVE THEME FROM THE MISSOURI BREAKS, and the instrumental version of NICE TO BE AROUND.

Yes.

But you make it sound like this is the highlight of the score, which stands above all else. ☺

I think the whole JFK score is vastly underrated. It's a bit like TLW... It's got a memorable main theme, and a whole slew of dissonant tracks, many of them percussion heavy. And the more you listen to it, the more you start realizing how fucking great it is, how diverse and inspired.

In the case of JFK, I think Prologue, The Conspirators, and Arlington are still the highlights. But yeah, the Garrison Family Theme is hauntingly beautiful too.

On 31/01/2017 at 7:46 PM, Richard said:

Although THE CONSPIRITORS will forever remain my favourite cue on JFK, the Garrison Theme is a lovely piece. It's a great shame, that, although JFK is a truly great score, it doesn't necessarily make for a coherent listen. In this regard, I liken it to POTA; a brilliant score, but not an easy ride, by any means. I'm not even sure if a complete presentation would rectify this.

Sorry, what's POTA again?

Prisoner of the Azkaban? :D

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Sorry, what's POTA again?

Prisoner of the Azkaban? :D

Planet of the Apes

The Garrison Family Theme is just a really lovely melody. It has great sincerity and reminds me of what JW talked about when he discussed scoring Lincoln decades later and the theme "With Malice Towards None." JW talked about trying to strip all the pretension away from the theme to distill it down to something honest and simple. To me that's the strength of the Garrison Family theme. Its incredibly earnest. 

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

No need to wish, MV has already posted its coming from LLL 

Yeah, I know, but we don't know when it's gonna be released, do we? 

Will it be this year?

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Listening to JFK now.

Really starting to wish for the Complete Release.... High time to rewatch the movie too.

Imo, the best Oliver Stone movie, by far.

Born on the Fourth of July is better, as is Nixon, as is Platoon.  

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

JFK is a slog.  At least, the director's cut is.  

Sure. Some people don't like it, or even hate it. These are mostly people, I understand, who don't get the movie (or its message).

Just now, Josh500 said:

Sure. Some people don't like it, or even hate it. These are mostly people, I understand, who don't get the movie (or its message).

Doubtful.  How could anybody not get the meaning of an Oliver Stone movie?  He's the most blatantly obvious director on the planet.  

1 minute ago, Richard said:

The first two hours zip by, up until X finishes his speech.

It could have done without the John Laroquette/toilet-trader stuff, but it's still a tour-de-force.

I find the movie compelling and mesmerizing from start to finish....

The final speech at the end is incredibly powerful. 

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Doubtful.  How could anybody not get the meaning of an Oliver Stone movie?  He's the most blatantly obvious director on the planet.  

You hate the movie JFK, I get it.

Don't try to get the rest of us to hate it too! Sheesh. :rolleyes:

JFK is a brilliant film -- one of the best of the 90s.

We just had a discussion of the Williams/Stone collaborations over on FSM. Although I think all scores are wonderful, my favourite is unquestionably NIXON.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

My favourite Stones are:

Sharon Stone,

The Rolling Stones,

Roll Away The Stone,

and Like A Rolling Stone.

I prefer Stone Brewing Company over all of them. 

16 hours ago, Thor said:

JFK is a brilliant film -- one of the best of the 90s.

We just had a discussion of the Williams/Stone collaborations over on FSM. Although I think all scores are wonderful, my favourite is unquestionably NIXON.

Oliver Stone agrees with you!

This is from the recent interview book, "The Oliver Stone Experience," that was him discussing his entire career:

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 7.10.25 AM.png