A question about Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Yeah they are not supposed to be fake, it's a production mistake, but give them a break.

That's true. And with a bit different lighting it might have been passable. Now especially the middle row obviously looks like book spines glued to a black painted woodpanel.

But hey it is such a brief shot it isn't much to worry about and as you say it adds that matinee serials feel to the whole thing.

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

Yeah they are not supposed to be fake, it's a production mistake, but give them a break.

"Give them a break"?!

Inky, this film cost $39,000,000. You'd think they could afford some real books?! Really, though, what can you expect when over half the budget went to paying four people?! No wonder it looked cheap.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Just adds to the charm.

What "charm"? It's a smug, self-congratulatory piece of work, in which the director acts out all his daddy fantasies. Avoid.

37 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I hope they'll fix that shot and replace them with CG books for the 4K release.

Quite. That is the obvious answer. We shouldn't have to tolerate flaws in our films. Far too human aspect if you ask me.

30 minutes ago, Richard said:

"Give them a break"?!

Inky, this film cost $39,000,000. You'd think they could afford some real books?! Really, though, what can you expect when over half the budget went to paying four people?! No wonder it looked cheap.

Yeah what were they thinking?!!! It is an outrage!

Ha, ha....that's one specific, detailed observation!

I guess with the advent of Bluray, such things become more apparent with older movies. You take the good with the bad etc.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha....that's one specific, detailed observation!

I guess with the advent of Bluray, such things become more apparent with older movies. You take the good with the bad etc.

I noticed that on my third or fourth viewing of the film years ago, on VHS.

7 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I've seen the movie a hundred times and have never noticed that. 99% of the viewers haven't either, which I'm convinced of.

Quite.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I myself think it is probably closer to 95.3%.

I am inclined to believe the latest statistics which state it is in fact 98.6%.

Just now, Quintus said:

Let's see how many pages we can get this to guys, come on.

We have the stamina! And nothing better to do!

Happens with set design and props all the time - it has to be good enough to fool the eye long enough for its appearance on screen, with the foreground characters pulling focus away from it.  Since this is the first time I've heard about it in almost 20 years, I'm going to say that they did their job well.

It's not even a production error. There's a hidden tomb underneath the library that houses one of the Grail Knights. Obviously the correct way to get into the tomb is via the fake book cupboard. Indy never needed to smash the floor like a visigot!