A question about Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

A lot of the matte work is. I don't buy the excuse that it's based on 1930s serials. The effects in the first two movies were obviously as good as they could make them at the time. Another excuse is that ILM was working on too many 1989 movies, so the effects were phoned in or farmed out. But even Star Trek V has better effects than the airplane scene.

I have always (no pun intended!:lol:) found ALWAYS to be the more interesting film, thematically, emotionally, and artistically. Its no masterpiece, to be sure, but it really is not bad. I Agee with Rose...er, Justin...ST:V has arguably the better effects (and that's saying something about ILM), but the Indiana Jones films have never been effects-centric. Maybe that's why KOTCS failed (that, and the fact that it's gobshite).

I still love Last Crusade. Honestly can't decide which of the first three films and scores is my favourite.

They pretty much ALL are! Won't claim they don't have flaws, but their awesomeness more than makes up for that. :D

Films:

TOD > TLC > ROTLA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KOCS

Scores:

TOD > TLC > ROTLA > KOCS

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Films:

TOD > TLC > ROTLA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KOCS

Scores:

TOD > TLC > ROTLA > KOCS

I have your same ranking for the films (minus a couple of greater-than symbols ;))

Scores:

TLC > TOD > ROTLA > KOCS

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

TLC > TOD > ROTLA > KOCS

Agreed.  ROTLA is great, but I prefer the other two.  The underscore and villain's music isn't as interesting to me as TOD and TLC.  A lot of it feels interchangeable with 1941's anonymous approach to villain music.

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Agreed.  ROTLA is great, but I prefer the other two.  The underscore and villain's music isn't as interesting to me as TOD and TLC.  A lot of it feels interchangeable with 1941's anonymous approach to villain music.

And excuse me while I drop this bomb, but I like the Grail Theme more than the Ark Theme.  :yes:

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I LOVE all three scores so its basically juts ranking 5 star scores against each other, which is essentially pointless; I love them all and will listen to all three regularly for the rest of my life.  And any new and upcoming JW fans should check out all three as soon as possible for sure

Of course!  But among the longtime fans these debates can be fun as long as no one takes it too seriously.

44 minutes ago, Richard said:

Let me pur a little descaler, in your think-tank, Pieter:

Films

ROTLA>TOD>LC>KOTCS.

Scores

ROTLA>TOD>LC>KOTCS.

Happy to help :D

When in doubt, go by the order they were made! Simple does the trick. :P

Raiders is the best, but Temple of Doom is my favorite. However, my favorite scene is the opening of Last Crusade. So the ranking is like:

Titanic > Last Crusade opening scene > Raiders > Temple > Last Crusade = Always

Films:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Last Crusade

The Temple of Doom

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Scores:

The Temple of Doom

The Last Crusade

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

35 minutes ago, crumbs said:

In comparison, KOCS was an embarrassing "best of" regurgitation of the existing films. It was a "this has everything you see in an Indiana Jones film!" montage without actually being, you know, an Indiana Jones film. None of its parts ever reached the heights of what had come before (by a long shot). 

Indeed half of it pretty much was.

The other half was more "what am I watching!?!" though.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

At least we can all agree that KOCS is the worst film AND score of the lot.

Yes. But I think the film is better than its reputation. The score, however, I'm not sure about. It just "sits there". One of Williams' 5-6 weakest scores, for sure. But in the general scheme of things, it's pretty decent.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

No. :-) I actually prefer KOCS to TLC which for me is just a lazy rehash of ROTLA. With KOCS they at least tried something different, like they did with TOD which is my favorite by minimal margin over ROTLA.

Films: TOD>ROTLA>>>>>>>>>>>KOCS>TLC

Score: TOD>ROTLA>>>TLC>>>KOCS

There you have it.

You're mad. THE LAST CRUSADE is not only the best Indy score, but one of the best Williams scores -- and not a rehash of ROTLA at all (beyond the main theme)! So you literally just said that one of his alltime weakest scores is better than one of his alltime greatest. MADNESS! :D

he said that about the film. Which is still madness...

I rank higher TLC crusade too.

And musically i prefer the Jungle chase over the other three chase cues.

TLC's comes second, but it could be the 1st.

2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Indeed half of it pretty much was.

The other half was more "what am I watching!?!" though.

"Well, the way you're sinking your teeth into those wobble-ews..."

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Yes. But I think the film is better than its reputation. The score, however, I'm not sure about. It just "sits there". One of Williams' 5-6 weakest scores, for sure. But in the general scheme of things, it's pretty decent.

I guess we're fortunate that even an ordinary score from Williams is still pretty good... but yeah, easily one of his weakest and least inspired scores.

You can literally hear his boredom. "Christ, another secret tomb scene?"

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Apart from SUPERMAN II, what scores has JW turned down, and do we know the reasons why?

I'm sure there'd be a few Spielberg films he would've turned down, were it not for Spielberg directing.

Couldn't tell you any others though. Probably quite a few...

5 hours ago, Thor said:

I love all the new themes in there, but I see what you're saying.  "Adventures of Mutt" is fantastic.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Oh, easily, and without question.

all 3 are brilliant for different reasons. What Spielberg and Williams nailed with the original trilogy was making every film so stylistically different from what had come before. They're all the same meal, just with different ingredients and flavours.

Yes!

In comparison, KOCS was an embarrassing "best of" regurgitation of the existing films. It was a "this has everything you see in an Indiana Jones film!" montage without actually being, you know, an Indiana Jones film. None of its parts ever reached the heights of what had come before (by a long shot). 

Yea...

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull can be seen from two points:

Firstly as a plain film:

Pretty entertaining, technically well made, great characters, a gripping story and a lot of humor!

Secondly as a sequel of the Indy trilogy:

Disappointing the expectations of a true Indy fans by dumping the typical religious elements and replacing it with sci-fi and nuclear explosions!

All in all KotCS successfully connects the old well-known elements with some totally new elements, but aliens and nuked fridges clearly don't belong to Indiana Jones - so imagine what would be the reception of the fourth film without those two scenes.

But the trilogy is far better - naturally;)

The issue with KOTCS is that it's not actually an Indiana Jones film. Once you lock into the fact that its Mutt's story (his search for Oxley-his surrogate father) it becomes a deeper, richer film (Mutt's reaction to Oxley's scribblings, is very touching).

Granted, it doesn't live up to its potential, but it's really not that bad.

I enjoy Blanchett's "mustache-twirling" performance, she should play more villains.  I enjoyed the way the alien storyline resolved in a campy sort of way (as in, I laughed at it) but yeah doesn't belong in an Indy movie.  I'm the same way with the SW prequels.  I enjoy making fun of them as bad movies if I just conveniently forget they're Star Wars movies ;) 

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

KOTCS is just better than darabont's script so im happy.

You mean Sons of Darkness? It took me two nights in high school to read that and I loved it. 

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

"Well, the way you're sinking your teeth into those wobble-ews..."

Well played, mate; well played! :D

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

aliens and nuked fridges clearly don't belong to Indiana Jones - so imagine what would be the reception of the fourth film without those two scenes.

That would help. A LOT! (Y)

Having seen three possible stories for Indy IV, I do reckon the final one is still the best I'd the bunch.

"Best" here does not also mean "good" though.

Certain story elements were flawed in concept to begin with.

Unfortunately those are also the story elements that were shared between the different approaches.

So it wasn't the script writers who made the biggest mistakes there.