Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

Goldenthal would be ideal - absolutely, but is there anything in Villeneuve's ouvre to merit such a grandiose score? If Balfe gets his dirty mittens on this, it will sound like any-other-thing. At the same time. Junkie's Mortal Engines is a huge orchestral fantasy score, precisely the kind that this film may deem old fashioned (I dare compare Junk XL to Krull with this score - they are as good!). It will probably just be Andrew Kaczxynski (under the Hans Zimmer label) farting into a tube and Barfe blasting out the same old string figure, but now, IMPORTANTLY, with Moroccan bowls (as his silly percussion for MI: Fallout seemed to be so impressive as it used bongo drums - JUST LIKE SCHIFRIN!! Yeah).

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I wouldn't want Goldenthal to score a film based on such an awful, backwards book.

What are you talking about, Steef?

Some of these guys are nonsense. To me, let Junkie and Conrad Pope have a go with the New Zealand Symphony and you will be all weeping awesome baby tears. Goldenthal is too crazy and prestigious, Goldsmith is dead, Williams won't do it, Horner, well, Hans does not do franchises......Der Junkmeister is the best. but only with Pope.

Anymore....yes, he's on Dark Phoenix but (apparently) he's not into franchised sounds anymore, even though he destroyed a few franchises with his monosyllabic excrement for Batman. Zimmer is a disease?

That's 6 franchises, and you didn't even include Home Alone, Tintin, WOTW, or MR

Zimmer has contributed music to 19 franchises.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

That's 6 franchises, and you didn't even include Home Alone, Tintin, WOTW, or MR

Tintin has yet to materialize as a modern cinematic franchise. 

War of the Worlds does not constitute a franchise, just a series of years-apart adaptations of one book. 

Minority Report is similarly not a franchise just because Spielberg made two sci-fi films with Tom Cruise. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I forgot about HOME ALONE, but I wasn't aware of JW's involvement in the others.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Zimmer has contributed music to 19 franchises.

It's always been about quantity over quality.

37 minutes ago, Romão said:

The 1984 did have some terrific casting choices. Sian Phillips was terrific

The Fremen were weirdly cast though. Aren't they supposed to be of Middle Eastern descent in the book? Sunni, iirc.

In Lynch's Dune they look like Emmerson, Lake and Palmer fans.

They were the result of a generations long pilgrimage across several planets. But years and years living in such an environment would give them somewhat middle eastern features and complexion, I would reckon 

That Toto score was a miracle of many meetings. And I love it to bits - astonishing that Paich could hold them all together to come up with the main theme etc/ Wonder if young boy JNH had any role here?

When talking about franchises, I meant Hans does not abide with franchise identity, does he? He COMES into franchises (take this literally or otherwise) but nothing great ever comes out of it until they reboot. He does franchises, a bit like Debbie does Dallas, but they do not end up well. It is distressing to witness the Zimmeriziation of film scoring - I love the guy's scores, I hate the business/franchising model.

Agree with Romao there. contemporary pop does not frigging work for epics!

Again, everyone's going to hate this but give it to Junkie, a lot of Mortal Engines even skirts around the Toto Spice theme. I think the guy's been beaten into his senses by working with people who know film scores - Rodriquez and Cameron. There is no Lorne Balfe shitbagging here (let's put a few bongos in there to make it 'original', and pretend we do film musak). Cameron invented so many scoring styles in collaboration with his composers. Whether this be Fiedel's cold metallic madness or Horner's aggressive wagnerian bombasticism with Aliens, they break boundaries. I cannot think of anyone to take up the Avatar mantle outside of JNH, but he may be too obvious for old Jimbo Cameron.

For Villeneuve, it depends on the style. Johannson's folk will be all over it but Sicario 2 did not exactly bring out....well anyone. Wallfisch is good of course but he's not great with large epic stuff. It depends how much of an investment this is for the studio. If they go for a LOTR situation they could try out some great composers out of the norm. They could hire a Panu Aaltio

, or as they always should, they go for Chad Seiter

Especially Seiter is criminally overlooked as a composer.

Its a awfully dated book that should probably be retired rather then adapted again. Its position of women is backwards and appaling, and to have a "middle eastern" desert dwelling folk call for a Jihad is incredibly problematic in this day and age.

Not to mention the depiction of homosexuals and depraved, utterly amoral childmolesting scum.

Better give this a pass, Villeneuve. Lynch did all he could with it.

Good news for Richard (who despises the photography of BR 2049). Roger Dean is not on board of Villeneuve's Dune but Greig 'Rogue One' Fraser is! 

... which makes all the sense in the world since Star Wars owes so much to Dune!

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Good news for Richard (who despises the photography of BR 2049). 

Now, just a damn minute!

Alex, my friend, please show me where I have said that I "despise" the cinematography on BR2049.

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Roger Dean is not on board of Villeneuve's Dune...

:lol: Ha, ha! "Roger Dean"! :lol:

You really are...close to the edge. Are you feeling a bit...fragile?

Stefancos: 'Its a awfully dated book that should probably be retired rather then adapted again. Its position of women is backwards and appaling, and to have a "middle eastern" desert dwelling folk call for a Jihad is incredibly problematic in this day and age'.

Well, yes and so are parts of LOTR, but with someone like Villeneauve at the helm, these will be the targets of the new film, a deconstruction of empire, fascism and well, Brexit and Trump, a story for our times right there, big bloated bad guy barons and cowardly politicians.