Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

13 hours ago, thestat said:

Stefancos: 'Its a awfully dated book that should probably be retired rather then adapted again. Its position of women is backwards and appaling, and to have a "middle eastern" desert dwelling folk call for a Jihad is incredibly problematic in this day and age'.

You can just use the quote function thestat.

13 hours ago, thestat said:

but with someone like Villeneauve at the helm, these will be the targets of the new film, a deconstruction of empire, fascism and well, Brexit and Trump, a story for our times right there, big bloated bad guy barons and cowardly politicians.

In two big Hollywood movies that will cost hundreds of millions? I doubt it. Especially after Blade Runner 2049 bombed.

At best they will soften it all up and it will just be a straight sci-fi fantasy ala Star Wars.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember saying it. I know that Star Wars was influenced by Herbert's Dune.  Maybe I was joking about Villeneuve's diminishing commercial power and that therefore the producers of Dune will force him to Star Wars it up a bit? Was it that?

• 2 weeks later...

:wub:I love Villeneuve and can simply rely on the assumption that he will either create an almost-masterpiece or an actual masterpiece. Demanding and ingenious discourses and reflections can be expected to be an important part of every new movie. Especially the combination: "blockbuster-Villeneuve" guarantees a gorgeous balancing act between big entertainment and independent filmmaking that is neither too artsy-fartsy nor too Michael Bay-ish.:wub:

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

This film might end up having the most impressive cast since Superman: The Movie!

DUNE had a pretty good-and truly international-cast.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Fucking hell. One dimwit casting after another. What's next; Jason Stratham as Feyd? The Rock as Thufir? Vin Diesel as Dr. Yueh?

Richard Jordan was perfect, as Duncan.

13 minutes ago, Richard said:

DUNE had a pretty good-and truly international-cast.

Fucking hell. One dimwit casting after another. What's next; Jason Stratham as Feyd? The Rock as Thufir? Vin Diesel as Dr. Yueh?

Richard Jordan was perfect, as Duncan.

Apart from Mamoa, what casting choices have irked thus far, Richard?

24 minutes ago, Richard said:

They have to think about the audience!

Man, Junkie's now the front-runner for this and Avatar. I say awesome - he showed melodic skills worth of a Poledouris with Mortal Engines and orchestral fireworks worthy of Goldenthal with Alita. He is the obvious and the best choice for the franchise.

6 hours ago, Romão said:

Apart from Mamoa, what casting choices have irked thus far, Richard?

You're right, of course, Romāo. I won't know exactly what will irk, until I see the full cast list.

One of the strengths of Lynch's DUNE is that he chose a truly ensemble cast, a cast that complimented itself. It only had one "star", and he wasn't even an actor.

Going down the "star"/"ooh, it's that guy from..." route can have its advantages. Think THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, think THE TOWERING INFERNO, think EARTHQUAKE.

DUNE isn't like that. DUNE could be like that, but shouldn't.

Also, I'm biased: I like the novel, and I adore the film, and, at this time, I don't want to see anyone ruin Lynch's vision (however compromised the end result).

I wish all connected with DUNE every success. It'll be a new DUNE, for a new generation. I'm sure it'll be a great party...one to which I shall probably not invite myself.