John Williams concerts in Massachusetts in 2017 - A lot of options!

Jay

I've only been to the Hollywood Bowl once, but I REALLY enjoyed my experience there.  It was a labor day weekend John Williams conducted film night concert like this upcoming one will (hopefully) be.  Really great atmosphere there!

I was not particularly thrilled with my Hollywood Bowl experience in 2012 for a myriad of different reasons, but it was interesting to witness a uniquely American phenomenon, at the very least.

If I had to pick only one venue to see concerts in the rest of my life, it'd be Symphony Hall, but I quite enjoy the pros and cons of both indoor and outdoor venues and their various different audiences around the country

Interesting to see Ken-David Masur conducting a full Williams concert. He's the son of the late and great Kurt Masur, former music director of the New York Philharmonic, who premiered the Williams' Bassoon Concerto back in 1995.

Gonna hit up an E.T. show and the Official Film Night, with John Williams.

Lots of shows too close together, would love to see Jaws, but just probably won't be able to swing it.

Didn't someone mention Monday, February 13th in another thread for when these tickets go on sale?  I emailed the BSO, still waiting for a reply.

On 2/1/2017 at 10:44 AM, Jay said:

Oooh these look very tantalizing, particularly the first, which I didn't know existed. 

It's possible that this will be the one weekend in July when I'm in northern rather than southern Vermont, but otherwise this could maybe work. 

My parents refuse to drive me down to Lenox for night concerts, but perhaps a day one would be easier to sell -- particularly that morning rehearsal, given that it has $13 lawn tickets! 

Does anyone know if the video screens are operational during official open-to-the-public morning rehearsals? 

If so (or even if not, I guess), we could get the lawn tickets, watch a new Williams piece premiered (albeit with lots of starts and stops, I presume), and then walk around the grounds a little after, which I'd like to be able to do at some point.

I don't think there'd ever be a better daytime concert to attend -- I doubt Williams pieces are often performed during the day! As I've said before, I doubt I'll like the piece on first listen, if ever, although I'd love to be surprised, but anyway at Tanglewood the music is really only part of the experience, I've heard. 

Also I would probably have the honor of being the first JWFan ever to hear the piece -- and maybe the only one if it's not broadcast on radio. ;)

If it is broadcast on radio, I suppose it would be slightly less worth going, but it would still be cool to see the grounds and such. 

Anyway, I'll have to keep an eye on this as it gets closer!