"The President's Own" US Marine Band celebrates #WilliamsWeek

thx99

Oh that photo impies that John conducted a recording of the band? Do we have a confirmation of this?

Do we talk about a live concert, or this album?

p_141117-M-HO616-001.jpg

Be Glad Then, America (2014, United States Marine Band, 141117-M-HO616-001; "The President's Own" US Marine Band)

John Williams: "For 'The President's Own'".

The photo is taken from this video. It's from a rehearsal, that was then followed by a recording -- the one that is on the album you mention, I think. It's a bit confusing.

I went through a period last year where I was listening to that "Be Glad, America" album in its entirety almost every day for like a month.  Just as a listening experience thing, that fanfare was such a cool way to open the album.

LOVE IT.

The part from 0:20-0:48 just makes the hairs on my neck stand up.  But I also love the long line melody that starts right after that.  It's such a cool piece.

3 hours ago, thx99 said:

In addition to appearing in full at the end of the video that @Thor posted, the Williams-conducted recording was available as an MP3 on the President's Own web site at one time, but has since been replaced by the Fettig-conducted version above.

So the recording exist and was available... for a moment.

I WANT IT! :-)

And I have to add it to my web pages!!!

I want your help on this, everyone of you: If you are aware of a released recording where John Williams PERFORMS (ex. : plays the keyboard) or CONDUCTS, and it is missing from my discography, please send me a message with the infos.

Thanks! :)

Okay, I listened again and I am really starting to like this one. A few more listens and I'm sure I'll totally love it.

I grinned when it ended. Some classic Williams chords/brass figures/etc.

• 6 years later...
16 hours ago, Jay said:

My bad. I knew that the files had been released a while back but didn't know it was "officially" available to stream. Additionally, for some reason the album on Spotify is not linked to the main "John Williams" artist page, meaning I simply came across the album by pure accident the other day.