How "complete", are the three LOTR box sets?

Naïve Old Fart

The CRs work for me as a complete retelling of the story musically.  If I hadn't been told that something was "wrong" with FOTR, I wouldn't know (frankly, I still don't know much about it, and I'm happy with the release).

After the first listen, I ignore the alternates section of releases.  So I don't really care about any additional stuff, and honestly I blip over Rarities Archive stuff already when it shuffles onto my iPod.

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The CRs work for me as a complete retelling of the story musically.  If I hadn't been told that something was "wrong" with FOTR, I wouldn't know (frankly, I still don't know much about it, and I'm happy with the release).

After the first listen, I ignore the alternates section of releases.  So I don't really care about any additional stuff, and honestly I blip over Rarities Archive stuff already when it shuffles onto my iPod.

Me too on both counts.  I never knew there was anything at all "wrong" with the FOTR release until people on message boards told me there was, haha.

And agreed, I can't think of one single alternate for any score release that I ever listened to more than once, maybe twice.

If I wanted to re-edit and resequence them into the CRs, that would potentially play a factor.  But those alternate tracks just sitting there by themselves, vs. listening to Shore's preference within a film-length program?  I'd choose the latter.

I prefer to listen to releases as-is.  I don't edit in video game tracks to Star Wars scores, I don't listen to FYC releases or sessions, and I don't hem and haw over alternate versions and whether I prefer them to the actual version.

Personal preference. I've never once been unhappy with the result of it.

In my old age, I find myself preferring an orderly 45-60 minute presentation of a score, rather than a complete and chronological.  But I do also love some C&C when I have the time and focus, so not quite all the way Thorish.