What is this motif heard in the Binary Sunset Alternate cue?

DarthDementous

It sounds like an early, subtle statement of the Throne Room theme, specifically 1:01 of said theme.  Maybe some musical foreshadowing?

Not sure, but I think it could possibly have meant to be a "Droids in Peril" motif.  It is heard on film when Threepio is in distress after loosing his arm to the Sandpeople.  And I'm not sure, but I think the alternate Binary Sunset cue places it when Luke is looking for Artoo with his binoculars.

Although, now that you point it out, it does sound like a modified statement of the Throne Room scene.  But in terms of leitmotif theme assignment, makes little sense in terms of musical narrative.

aha, thanks @Bloodboal. I think I might prefer the Binary Sunset Alternate rendition actually, there's something so mystical and eerie about it. I do hear the similarities to that part in the Throne Room but it seems rather unconnected in terms of subject matter.

in complete agreement that it'd be lovely to see it return and be expanded upon. damn it Williams, creating amazing melodies that could carry a whole score and reducing it to one tiny part!

I always liked Binary Sunset and I place it in my chrono listing for STAR WARS A NEW HOPE immediately after "Tales of a Jedi Knight". I re-titled it "DEATH STAR Conference" and imagine it playing under the scene where Grand Moff Tarkin, Darth Vader and the other Imperials Officials debate the power of the Death Star. You know the scene where Vader "strangles" the official who berates Vader for his inability to locate the missing data. I have never tried to watch the film using the track during that scene. Has anyone else tried using the cue at that part of the film?