R.I.P. Richard Hatch.

Naïve Old Fart

Quietly devastating to someone who grew up watching the show. As I've said elsewhere, the show left quite a mark on me as a kid -blind as I was to the Star Wars influence. At its heart the partnership of Apollo and Starbuck inspired me a little. Watching Saga of a Star World there's a sense of what might have been. Apollo had some great moments for Hatch -how he told Boxey of Serina's death, talking to the Alliance council in Experiment in Terra ("We thought the opposite of war was peace, instead we found it was slavery.") and a few others inbetween. I only saw up to Season 2 of the new BSG but his face was a welcome one.

RIP.

7 hours ago, Richard said:

You really need to watch the rest of BSG.

I remember watching the edited SOASW, at the cinema, in Sensurround, no less.

Ps avoid GALACTICA 1980!!!

The last episode is good.  It's sort of more about Galactica '78 and the episode is called "The Return of Starbuck".  When I was growing up, there was a tv station that played the original Twilight Zone, then Star Trek TOS, then Galactica every Saturday.  Loved all those shows.

20 hours ago, karelm said:

The last episode is good.  It's sort of more about Galactica '78 and the episode is called "The Return of Starbuck".  When I was growing up, there was a tv station that played the original Twilight Zone, then Star Trek TOS, then Galactica every Saturday.  Loved all those shows.

It's the best of a bad bunch though if features one of Glen A. Larson's favoured go-to actresses (seen her in Magnum etc). But the low budget tells by that point, that one panel of computers on Galactica you see when Boomer speaks to Adama. Like the late Mr Hatch I'd prefer to ignore BSG80 ever happened. I wrote on some other site once about my theories post BSG78 if the show had managed to keep going. Sent people asleep.

But I loved BSG78 as a kid and I still do now. I know it's not the best thing but that and Star Trek were my things. Just wish I got the chance to meet him like everyone else on the net seemed to. Almost had the chance to meet Benedict but the Collectormania thing cancelled and I don't have money to come Stateside.

11 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

But... it's hilarious!

Spaceball is hilarious as is, slightly less so, Night the Cylons Landed -Larson supposedly wrote a line about meatballs to wind up the censor.

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:56 PM, Richard said:

You really need to watch the rest of BSG.

I remember watching the edited SOASW, at the cinema, in Sensurround, no less.

Ps avoid GALACTICA 1980!!!

I will one day. If Hatch could've slipped into it I can. He joked about having Benedict appear in it as a drunk priest or something I think.

I respect your point of view.  Add original Twilight Zone and you are my bff.  I didn't meet the original BSG cast but did attend an extremely low budget scoring session of BSG (2004) session with Bear McCreary (it was literally in a closet).  I also met 2004's Baltar (James Callis), Starbuck (Katee Sackhoff).  All of them met Richard so that's as close as I got. :)

Glen A. Larson was probably the first name that stood out to me as a producer. McCloud, Alias Smith and Jones, The Six Million Dollar Man, ... I loved those shows when I was a kid. When Larson's then latest show Battlestar Galactica aired, I thought it was a show that wanted to be Star Wars. I wasn't crazy about it (because I compared it to Star Wars and BG lost) but I was a loyal viewer.

a9ab70677b46c280c6ec00013be5ba0f.jpg

Star Wars Disco Pink

Alex

I only knew Hatch from the new BSG but his character certainly leaves a strong impression.

Bear McCreary wrote a tribute blog on his website.

http://www.bearmccreary.com/#blog/blog/battlestar-galactica-3/remembering-richard-hatch/

Hatch comes across as a generous, endearing fellow. R.I.P.

21 hours ago, karelm said:

I respect your point of view.  Add original Twilight Zone and you are my bff.  I didn't meet the original BSG cast but did attend an extremely low budget scoring session of BSG (2004) session with Bear McCreary (it was literally in a closet).  I also met 2004's Baltar (James Callis), Starbuck (Katee Sackhoff).  All of them met Richard so that's as close as I got. :)

See, I wish I could've met the original Baltar -John Colicos. His roles on Star Trek and BSG78 leave a mark. I saw somewhere someone from BSG78 saying that he got so into the role and a bit over the top he had to scraped off the ceiling.

I sort of met James Callis. I was in a post office on Baker Street when at university queuing up. This bloke walked away from the counter spilling pound coins which he had scooped up. Deffo James Callis.

And I've only seen one or two Twilight Zone episodes sadly.

You've only seen two TZ episodes!?  That show is a masterpiece and features so many classic moments and great music.  James Callis and Katee Sackhoff were both at the BSG rock concerts that Bear and his brother did.  His brother is the one who sang the excellent cover of that 
"All Along the Watch Tower" song:

And oh yeah, I once held the door open for Gertie herself (Drew Barrymore) as she was coming out of a restaurant I was entering haha.