A Guide for the Married Man (John Williams)

Thor

Amazingly, no general thread about this score that I could find (only a thread about some jailed guitarist or something).

I'm now up to this title in my Williams soundtrack walkthrough, and it strikes me that this may very well be the one score where we REALLY missed a "proper" album (and by 'proper' I obviously mean a new studio rerecording like several of the other 60s comedy scores). The film basically consists of a series of standalone skits and montages, and Williams is allowed to shine in almost each of them. Like the stupendous cue "The Globetrotters". I can picture Williams having a lot of fun with re-arranging these cues into standalone pieces -- like he did so wonderfully on NOT WITH MY WIFE YOU DON'T -- and reworking them in the studio. Alas, that never happened. I forgot why (it's probably in the liner notes, but I'm too lazy to check).

That being said, I AM of course very grateful for the old FSM release.

Incidentally, I use the three-part opening of this film (animated prologue, intro and main title sequence) in my Williams lectures, as the representative of all the similar genre films he did in the 60s.

It is indeed very sexist, and not even in a satirical way (which is a bit odd, since Gene Kelly stated on numerous occasions that he wanted to make away with sex stereotypes in the 50s and 60s). So it's always with some trepidation that I show the opening clip in my lecture, but I try to explain it with a "different time" attitude.

Well, for starters, all women are portrayed as objects that the men can play around with. We as the audience are supposed to laugh when men try 'womenly' activities ("Oh, look at that silly man trying to cook!"). And then there's the focus on women's body parts throughout. It's so over-the-top sexist, it's hilarious. You should see the movie, if you get the chance (I have no idea how, though...I don't think it's out on DVD?).

I wonder if these thoughts went through the mind of 35-year-old Williams as he scored bumping bottocks with big timpanis and wacky mickey-mousing for the men's rude advances...

I love the eponymous song that Williams wrote, sung on the soundtrack by The Turtles.  I remember seeing the beginning of this film on TV years ago when I was just becoming interested in film music and being flabbergasted when I saw the Johnny Williams music credit.  Could this really be the same person who wrote Jaws and Star Wars?  Surely not!

Yeah, it's a fun music video by The Turtles -- basically following in the footsteps of the film ("look at them wacky men doing women's jobs!"). I dig the song, though. Always have.

2 hours ago, Omen II said:

I love the eponymous song that Williams wrote, sung on the soundtrack by The Turtles.  I remember seeing the beginning of this film on TV years ago when I was just becoming interested in film music and being flabbergasted when I saw the Johnny Williams music credit.  Could this really be the same person who wrote Jaws and Star Wars?  Surely not!

I listened to that once, never again! Never again!

It's not a SONG, but yeah -- great track for a wonderful montage/travel sequence in the film. Williams is really allowed to shine there.

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's not a SONG, but yeah -- great track for a wonderful montage/travel sequence in the film. Williams is really allowed to shine there.

Globetrotters track has that Bond-esque From Russia With Love vibe to it. And it is indeed one of the standout cues in the score.

"The Globetrotters" is great, and is definitely the standout track.  But I like "The Race Home" a lot, too.  Not a bad score at all, overall; much better than it probably has any right to be.

• 5 years later...