STAR WARS - Live To Projection Concerts

TownerFan

4 hours ago, aj_vader said:

I agree, it's far too loud (dialogue, sound effects). The best mix was when I saw A New Hope by the LSO in 2018 (Royal Albert Hall) [Saturday Evening showing], however it was still too loud for my liking. 

The worst one was Empire Strikes Back in the Albert Hall (Dirk Brossè and London Philharmonia). I was sat in the stalls right behind the engineers/producers and someone went down and collared one of them, essentially asking them to turn the sound and dialogue down as the music in places was barely audible. I couldn't hear everything said as it was the interval, but it seemed to be a little heated. The engineer ultimately said something along the lines of, "it's standardised and we can't change it". The London Philharmonia are obviously a great orchestra, but they don't have the same 'clout' as the London Symphony Orchestra, so the Empire concert was easily the weakest of the original trilogy presentations there at The Royal Albert Hall. 

I saw E.T. at The Bridgewater Hall in Manchester and thats a much better venue for this (I think), the balance was excellent throughout. 

I watched ROTJ at the Bridgewater Hall and the music was covered by voice and sound effects for pretty much the whole concert. I send then an email to complain about it (after all I had paid nearly £100 for a "live music concert"...)  and they replied they are not responsible for the mixing as it's something set in advance and they have no control on.

Went to watch it at the RAH later on and it was much better, similar to all the previous live movie concerts I had attended there.

1 hour ago, ciarlese said:

I watched ROTJ at the Bridgewater Hall and the music was covered by voice and sound effects for pretty much the whole concert. I send then an email to complain about it (after all I had paid nearly £100 for a "live music concert"...)  and they replied they are not responsible for the mixing as it's something set in advance and they have no control on.

Went to watch it at the RAH later on and it was much better, similar to all the previous live movie concerts I had attended there.

I know why the E.T. one was so much better, because the Halle Orchestra put the event on and Disney Concerts weren't producing it. Disney Concerts are the producers of every Star Wars Live To Picture unfortunately. 

8 hours ago, aj_vader said:

I know why the E.T. one was so much better, because the Halle Orchestra put the event on and Disney Concerts weren't producing it. Disney Concerts are the producers of every Star Wars Live To Picture unfortunately. 

One would think that they could not be this clueless about why a person would go to one of these.  

18 hours ago, aj_vader said:

Yes, they all include subtitles. E.T did as well. I would assume they all do. 

Interesting. When I saw the Close Encounters concert in Lincoln Center, it didn't have subtitles. I guess it's an outlier

7 hours ago, Tom said:

One would think that they could not be this clueless about why a person would go to one of these.  

image.png

15 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Interesting. When I saw the Close Encounters concert in Lincoln Center, it didn't have subtitles. I guess it's an outlier

I don't recall subtitles when I saw Empire. That was, what, 2019 I think?

New USA booking for TLJ:

St. Louis Symphony Orchestra. Norman Huynh, conductor

Saturday, April 13, 2024; and Sunday, April 14, 2024

Stifel Theatre. St. Louis, MO

https://shop.slso.org/7916

I'm glad that some USA orchestras are taking a chance at doing a Star Wars LTP concert from unpopular trilogy.

Keitaro Harada is conducting the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra and Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra performing A New Hope in September: https://www.promax.co.jp/archives/event/202311272

The Osaka performance is on 2023-09-24 at 16:00. There will be 2 performances in Tokyo on 2023-09-30 at 14:00 and 18:30.

In fact, there are quite a lot of Star Wars LTP concerts scheduled for the next year: https://www.moviesinconcert.nl/index.php?page=concertlist

Currently:

A New Hope: 31

The Empire Strikes Back: 15

Return of the Jedi: 36

The Force Awakens: 25

The Last Jedi: 7

3 hours ago, Quppa said:

Keitaro Harada is conducting the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra and Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra performing A New Hope in September: https://www.promax.co.jp/archives/event/202311272

The Osaka performance is on 2023-09-24 at 16:00. There will be 2 performances in Tokyo on 2023-09-30 at 14:00 and 18:30.

Unfortunately, this news suggests that the LTP concert of SW:TROS doesn't exist.

You'll remember that this said orchestra was the one that did the world premiere of the SW:TLJ LTP-concert in October 2019. 

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1175955877150568449/pu/vid/608x1080/a-sP4V7BAGVbPVfd.mp4?tag=10

If the LTP concert of TROS was created, then that orchestra would have booked it for this September instead of ANH.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Title image.jpg

On September 1 and 2, the LA Phil presents the climactic sixth episode of the Star Wars saga, Return of the Jedi, with David Newman and the Los Angeles Philharmonic performing John Williams’ legendary score live to picture.

Use code UNDERTHESTARS for 20% off on Friday, September 1

https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/performances/2348/2023-09-01/star-wars-return-of-the-jedi-in-concert

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

ESB is widely regarded as the best SW (if not best as such) soundtrack of all time.  I would assume that is the reason (or just a coincidence).  

Either that or they have changed Vader's dialogue to "I am not your father, but I am the father of a new character to be introduced in Episode X."  

4 hours ago, SyncMan said:

I have zero involvement with that kind of artistic planning unfortunately, so I can't give any special insights.

Personally I agree with what Tom said:

3 hours ago, Tom said:

ESB is widely regarded as the best SW (if not best as such) soundtrack of all time.  I would assume that is the reason (or just a coincidence).  

• 3 weeks later...