SEPTEMBER, 2017SATURDAY

SEPTEMBER, 2017TUESDAY

SEPTEMBER, 2017WEDNESDAY

SEPTEMBER, 2017THURSDAY

OCTOBER, 2017WEDNESDAY

OCTOBER, 2017THURSDAY

OCTOBER, 2017FRIDAY

OCTOBER, 2017SATURDAY

Holy shit!  That's so cool even if there's no way I'll be able to go to any.  Can't wait to find out the details of how they handle all the Starkiller attack scenes since that's where the most awkward music edits are.

StarWars_LandingPage_1884x1048.jpg

Experience these films as never before at the world’s first-ever live performance of Star Wars – Film Concert Series! Don’t miss your chance to see these epic films on screen with the unparalleled New York Philharmonic performing the iconic music of John Williams. Tickets are available only via presale to New York Philharmonic 2017–18 subscribers and current members at the Patron level and above; any remaining tickets will go on sale to the general public on May 4.

15 SEPTEMBER, 2017 FRIDAY 8:00 PM - Star Wars: A New Hope – In Concert
16 SEPTEMBER, 2017 SATURDAY  8:00 PM - Star Wars: A New Hope – In Concert

26 SEPTEMBER, 2017 TUESDAY  7:30 PM  - Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back – In Concert
27 SEPTEMBER, 2017 WEDNESDAY  7:30 PM - Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back – In Concert
28 SEPTEMBER, 2017 THURSDAY 7:30 PM - Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back – In Concert

4 OCTOBER, 2017 WEDNESDAY 7:30 PM - Star Wars: Return of the Jedi – In Concert
5 OCTOBER, 2017 THURSDAY 7:30 PM - Star Wars: Return of the Jedi – In Concert
6 OCTOBER, 2017 FRIDAY 8:00 PM - Star Wars: The Force Awakens – In Concert
7 OCTOBER, 2017 SATURDAY 8:00 PM - Star Wars: The Force Awakens – In Concert

http://nyphil.org/concerts-tickets/explore/1718/star-wars

The New York Philharmonic will present the World Premiere of the Star Wars - Film Concert Series, September 15-October 7, 2017, featuring screenings of the complete films A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and The Force Awakens with Oscar-winning composer John Williams's musical scores performed live to the films. The concerts will be led by acclaimed conductor David Newman.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/New-York-Philharmonic-Announces-2017-18-Season-20170208

Star Wars -- Film Concert Series to Feature Iconic Scores Performed Live To Film

World Premiere features Composer John Williams' Complete Scores from A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens Performed Live to Picture by the New York Philharmonic, Conducted by David Newman

Series Launches September 15, 2017

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Disney Concerts 
Feb 08, 2017, 10:30 ET
SHARE THIS ARTICLE

BURBANK, Calif., Feb. 8, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The New York Philharmonic will present the World Premiere of the Star Wars -- Film Concert Series featuring screenings of the complete films A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and The Force Awakens with Oscar-winning composer John Williams' musical scores performed live to the films. The concerts will be led by acclaimed conductor David Newman.

Since the release of the first Star Wars movie nearly 40 years ago, the Star Wars saga has had a seismic impact on both cinema and culture, inspiring audiences around the world with its mythic storytelling, captivating characters, groundbreaking special effects and iconic musical scores composed by Williams.

Fans will be able to experience the scope and grandeur of these beloved Star Wars films in a live symphonic concert experience, as the Star Wars -- Film Concert Series premieres from September 15 through October 7 at David Geffen Hall in New York City. The schedule is below:

Sept. 15, 8:00pm Concert - A New Hope (world premiere)
Sept. 16, 8:00pm Concert - A New Hope

Sept. 26, 7:30 pm Concert - The Empire Strikes Back (world premiere)
Sept. 27, 7:30pm Concert - The Empire Strikes Back
Sept. 28, 7:30pm Concert - The Empire Strikes Back

Oct. 4, 7:30pm Concert - Return of the Jedi (world premiere)
Oct. 5, 7:30pm Concert - Return of the Jedi

Oct. 6, 8:00pm Concert - The Force Awakens (world premiere)
Oct. 7, 8:00pm Concert - The Force Awakens

Legendary composer Williams is well known for scoring all seven of the Star Wars saga films, beginning with 1977's Star Wars (Episode IV: A New Hope) for which he earned an Academy Award for Best Original Score.  His scores for Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens each were nominated for Oscars for Best Original Score.

Williams has won five Academy Awards, four Golden Globe Awards, seven British Academy Film Awards, and 22 Grammy Awards. With 50 Academy Award nominations, Williams is the Academy's most nominated living person and the second most-nominated individual in history, after Walt Disney.  In 2005, the American Film Institute selected Williams' score to 1977's Star Wars as the greatest American film score of all time. The soundtrack to Star Wars also was preserved by the Library of Congress in the National Recording Registry, for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."  Williams was inducted into the Hollywood Bowl's Hall of Fame in 2000, and he received the Kennedy Center Honors in 2004, the National Medal of Arts in 2009, and the AFI Life Achievement Award in 2016.  Williams has composed the scores for eight of the top 20 highest-grossing films at the U.S. box office (adjusted for inflation).

The Star Wars -- Film Concert Series is produced under license by Disney Concerts in association with 20th Century Fox and Warner/Chappell Music.

STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks and/or copyrights, in the United States and other countries, of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates. © & TM Lucasfilm Ltd.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/star-wars----film-concert-series-to-feature-iconic-scores-performed-live-to-film-300403973.html

Wow. What a week. 

First, the CSO concert, then this. Wow. 

I have to see TFA LTP. Holy crap. I never thought it would be this soon. 

The level of awesomeness in seeing/hearing that one live... Christ, that will be awesome. As many of you may have realized, this score was a major catalyst in my JW fandom, and has a lot of special meaning to me emotionally for that reason. 

Hope the CSO spreads them out so I can go to all. Interesting that they skipped the prequels. ;) Probably a logistical problem with the choir and such anyway. 

Hmm, there are two 2017/2018 CSO at the Movies presentations that haven't been announced yet...

Will, who feels almost like crying joyfully right now. 

:woop:

Oh, and by the way, did I just call this or what?! Within hours of my prediction!!! Hours!!

I just had a stunning realization.

Twice over the last couple weeks, the JoAnn Kane Music Service has posted photos of JW's original SW scores.

[...]

Now, could this be evidence that they're working on something with the scores? Say, live to projection concerts?!

3 minutes ago, Will said:

Hope the CSO spreads them out so I can go to all. Interesting that they skipped the prequels. ;) Probably a logistical problem with the choir and such anyway. 

ROTJ has certain sections with choir.

27 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

ROTJ has certain sections with choir.

But it's not as much, right? (Or is it? - I've only heard the full score once) 

And the choir isn't as popularly iconic, anyway, right?

I.e. you might be able to get away with not using it, whereas if you do Duel of the Fates without choir...

Actually, the more I think about it though, the more I think that maybe they just figure people don't want to watch the prequels. I mean, really, if they wanted to, they could do the Duel of the Fates, etc., choir through speakers and who would really care that much? 

------------

Interesting that these concerts are not by Film Concerts Live.

Hopefully Williams will still write entr'actes though. 

It seems he did for the CineConcerts Potter 1 so that is encouraging. 

I wonder how they will address the source music for JEDI.. Unless they found the sail barge source music or are they going to play it live.Is it going to be JEDI ROCKS or LAPTI NEK.?

The Emperor's theme in ROTJ must be performed by choir as well as the climatic scene between Luke and Vader. It would be unfortunate if they used syth for those scenes.

Edit: is it choir or solo voice?

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

Source music will just play through the speakers with the rest of the film's audio. 

The orchestra is there to play the score. 

Isn't Mr. DNA source music?

(yes, I know the situation would be different here because much SW source music demands a different ensemble)

47 minutes ago, Will said:

Isn't Mr. DNA source music?

Yes. 

34 minutes ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

How about the inserts in ROTJ? Like the one where Chewy steals the walker? You think those will be incorporated, or they'll just use the original versions?

Of course they'll use the inserts; Why wouldn't they? 

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes. 

Of course they'll use the inserts; Why wouldn't they? 

No idea. I've never attended one of these concerts before, so I don't know exactly what they include. I was more-or-less referring to the overlays.

As a diehard NY Philharmonic fan, I so wish they would record these concerts and release them. Even if the sound effects were obvious. The orchestra is phenomenal, and it is about time that we get some new recordings of these scores.

If only Disney and the Philharmonic could work out a recording deal, and record during the rehearsal weeks (without sound effects) for commercial release. They would sell like crazy.

Based on the rising popularity of the LTP concerts I'm sure these 4 (5) films will begin a world tour. With Raiders coming up for me in May I'm hoping Jurassic Park is on tap for next year and the full Star Wars ensemble the year after!

Has a concert like this ever happened for a film that hasn't had a complete score release (talking about TFA)? I'd like to think that this is a solid confirmation of a TFA complete score, but I'm sure that won't be the case.

Awesome news! Surely the best sign yet of complete score remasters for the OT. Disney's accounting team will perk up when these concerts sell out months in advance.

Curious to see how they handle the horrible SE music edits, especially the mess Lucas created with Rescue from Cloud City.

8 minutes ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

I'd like to think that this is a solid confirmation of a TFA complete score, but I'm sure that won't be the case.

We're in uncharted territory with Disney pulling the strings, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see an expanded TFA in the next few years. Would be a great marketing exercise to accentuate each new film's OST. :)

The more I think about it, the more I'm certain they'll do the prequels at some point.

They must just want to start with the most popular ones to see how they sell, and then go from there.

Because even with the prequels, I'd think there's a ton of money to be made. 

That may be, but there's also a ton more work to do for them. Lucas really butchered the score in those films and replicating those butcherings for a live performance isn't going to be easy.

11 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

Or a better question... Yub Nub or Victory Celebration??

Sadly, I'd bet that these are going to be the films/scores as of the 2011 blu-ray, as even after the Disney sale those are still considered the "official" versions of the films.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the sale contract to Disney to keep Lucas' changes! Of course, that's baseless speculation on my part.

I'm sure they'll be the same versions sold digitally by Disney right now, of course.

Which is too bad.

It would actually be a great opportunity to show the original versions, since you could use the official DVD that isn't anamorphic or anything, but the picture quality doesn't really matter at a concert like this

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm sure they'll be the same versions sold digitally by Disney right now, of course.

And they're exactly the 2011 bluray versions, right?  I'm assuming that, but I've never actually watched the versions Disney sells.

If this L2P comes across to London, the LSO should perform. It would be very interesting to see how they perform those scores after all this time. I'd also be curious to hear how they would perform TFA.

29 minutes ago, Gistech said:

If this L2P comes across to London, the LSO should perform. It would be very interesting to see how they perform those scores after all this time. I'd also be curious to hear how they would perform TFA.

with lots of musical instruments. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

And they're exactly the 2011 bluray versions, right?

Almost. For this version, the 20th Century Fox logo and fanfare have been removed. Instead, the final notes of the ESB end credits play over the Lucasfilm logo.

57 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Almost. For this version, the 20th Century Fox logo and fanfare have been removed. Instead, the final notes of the ESB end credits play over the Lucasfilm logo.

Well sure, but I meant as far as actual film content.