STAR WARS - Live To Projection Concerts

TownerFan

31 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I know, did that with Jurassic Park and Philosopher's Stone last year. That is why it often is good to wait until quite late as you get some really excellent seats. I only book box seats in the first row. If not, I usually go with stalls as the next best alternative.

I am actually quite happy with the seat I managed to book. It is perfectly fine. Just not the one I would normally go with.

In any case, are doing some JWFan meetup or something? Seems like a perfect opportunity.

Karol

I‘m certainly up for a JWFan meetup!

• 2 weeks later...

Really hoping the LSO play The Imperial March after the A New Hope Performance and someone comes on stage and says, "Next Year it's The Empire Strikes Back". I've never heard The London Symphony do The Imperial March Live, i'm dying to here them do it. 

If it would come to Budapest (or perhaps even Bratislava - I saw/heard FotR there, too bad they didn't do the other two) I might even overlook the fact that it's the horrific Bluray version.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Of course! I had to pass up on PoA unfortunately in January. I will not miss this. 

Hope they will program more of these.

Why don't you go to POA in London two days before the Williams' concert?

Karol

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I'm thinking about it.

Any reason to think that will sell out in hours?

I personally don't think it will happen. The reason being is that it is Wednesday and not weekend. It's usually the Friday night  and Saturday concerts that sell the most tickets. But then, Potter concert are quite popular as well and there are only two performances of this instead of 5-6. But I always managed to get a ticket quite late.

Karol

Yeah, I've been thinking about the evening showing as well but that would mean I'd need to book another night at the hotel and yet another annual leave day as well. And since it's only 90 minute train trip anyway I might as well make it a brief trip. Plus the seats were better.

Karol

On 1/30/2018 at 1:38 PM, crocodile said:

If you guys book your tickets which performance would you pick? @TownerFan, @Jim Ware, @mahler3, @Marian Schedenig @ChrisAfonso(or anyone else I might have missed)? Would be nice to catch up. I'm going to book mine on Friday and there are five of them. Friday and Sunday nights don't work for me at all. But all the other performances are fine.

Karol

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, i'll be going to the Friday night Star Wars & LSO concert. See you there, if not a few weeks before at the Potter POA and John Williams & LSO concerts. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Baltimore Symphony released their 2018-19 schedule and Star Wars: A New Hope is being performed this September 28th, 29th and 30th.

We had Prisoner of Azkaban live here last week, Raiders live here in May, Williams himself live here in June and now Star Wars live here in September.  I am in JWfan heaven. The Baltimore Symphony typically adds a summer live-to-picture movie as well. I’m hoping/speculating that they continue that trend and do Jaws.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was just listening to battle of crait as loud as my speaker can take and just had a HUGE smille on my face thinking how epic this piece would be in a LTP concert. Do they have any plan on doing TLJ LTP ?

I just bought my tickets for the four concerts in Paris. The fact that it is at the Philharmonie is great. It means only the dialogue will be amplified and the music will be acoustic, I would not have thought they would choose this place for these concerts so… I can't wait :)

The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra will perform Star Wars: A New Hope live to film July 12-13, 2018. Tickets go on sale March 28. For those of us living within reasonable distance, I hope they do the other OT films if this one is successful!

https://pittsburghsymphony.org/production/59401/star-wars-a-new-hope

Apologies if this has been answered:  Do these concerts have dialog and sound effects?  (I'm really hoping the answer is no.)

EDIT:  I ask because I just found out that the Phoenix Symphony is doing Star Wars.  (They call it A New Hope.  What're ya gonna do?)

However, the music is obviously much more prominent in the mix (when it's amplified), so you can focus on the music well enough, and have the film as a background. Of course, I wouldn't say no to an iso score concert, but I imagine it would be difficult to explain to an audience why long stretches of the film run in complete silence.

What happens, @Tallguy, is that there is a screen over the orchestra's head showing the movie, and the loudspeakers in the auditorium broadcast the film's dialogue and sound effects (and in some movies - not really Star Wars movies - source music too).  The orchestra then plays the film's score live, and as @Marian Schedenig points out its generally mixed pretty loud, sometimes such that during say big action sequences, the music can drown out some of the dialogue.

For some LTP concerts they actually play music that was written that got dialed out or replaced in the final cut; For Star Wars though they play it all just as it was edited to the final picture.

For BTTF, Silvestri rearranged cues from the trilogy to score unscored scenes (And there probably is a few seconds of original-ish material too)

4 hours ago, Jay said:

and the loudspeakers in the auditorium broadcast the film's dialogue and sound effects (and in some movies - not really Star Wars movies - source music too).

Speaking of which, and I apologise in advance for being lazy, because this surely has been mentioned (and missed by me) in this or one of the other threads: How do they handle the Cantina Band cues in the LTP concerts?

On 9/16/2017 at 5:41 PM, DigitalfreakNYC said:

They did not do the Cantina.  Just sat there for the 10 or so minutes throughout that sequence.   They also did not put the "dianoga" music back where it belonged.  It was only played during the Mos Eisley approach as it stands in the SE.  I was hoping they might actually put it into the film as they did with the recent Jaws performance.

On 9/19/2017 at 7:42 PM, Jay said:

Both Cantina Band cues came from the speakers, they were not performed live, which I wasn't expecting them to be (it would be kinda weird if they did; I noticed this time while watching the film that the second Cantina Band cue actually loops for a long while due to the Greedo scene!)

On 9/25/2017 at 9:48 PM, Jay said:

Cantina Band just plays from the same speakers broadcasting the dialogue and sound effects of the film

On 2/2/2018 at 7:15 AM, Quppa said:

The Cantina Band music wasn't played live. Jabba's theme was there for the Special Edition re-inserted scene.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 11:08 PM, Tallguy said:

The concert is a year from now.  Maybe we'll have the Original Editions back by then and they'll do that one.  I can dream, yeah?  :D

The Special Editions, you mean?

:P

Where would be the best location in the theatre to watch one of these live-to-projection concerts?  I'm contemplating the Baltimore Star Wars one and wonder where in the Hall will give me the best experience overall.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:07 PM, Saxman717 said:

Where would be the best location in the theatre to watch one of these live-to-projection concerts?  I'm contemplating the Baltimore Star Wars one and wonder where in the Hall will give me the best experience overall.

Is the view of the screen a priority for you?  I've only ever sat in rear orchestra for the movie concerts - so I can't say what's better.  However for Star Wars, which I'll be attending twice, I bought my usual rear orchestra seats for one of the performances and very first row for the other.  I've never sat up front for a live movie score concert, but for this I don't care about having a good view of the screen I want to sit where (I think) I'll hear the music the loudest.  We shall see.