STAR WARS - Live To Projection Concerts

TownerFan

TPM has a good score. The problem is that TPM the movie is a punchline. Out of all the thousands of film scores, it’s not in anyone’s top 10 or 20 or 30. Star Wars is always going to be about the OT + the most recent releases. So I have to wonder if it’s because JW vetoed it or because there was never any interest in sponsoring it anyway.

To be honest, if we go by how they do the OTs in concert, we're probably better off not hearing the absolutely massacred mangled mess that is the Prequel scores in-movie.

TPM the complete intended score is an absolute wonder, highlight after highlight after highlight, and this carries the jumpy OST, too.

It'll make for a fantastic LTP performance too, considering the volume of music (the most of any Star Wars film thus far).

They showed no restraint in their spotting sessions (Williams often joking that, with Star Wars, he just scores from start to finish nowadays) and Johnson certainly didn't share JJ's reluctance to overscore the drama.

I imagine many a musician will be sweating on performing TLJ though. It starts with a bang and never relents for more than a minute.

11 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Star Wars is always going to be about the OT + the most recent releases. So I have to wonder if it’s because JW vetoed it or because there was never any interest in sponsoring it anyway.

I'd say it's a combination. JW is no mug; he'd be fully aware the prequels were dud movies (hence his overscoring and delightful lack of restraint, desperately attempting to elevate them), and he'd know the general critical consensus.

Couple that with how his scores were actually treated, the mess that ends AOTC, and the amount of edits/tracking, they would simply be a nightmare to assemble into sheet music and too disjointed for an orchestra to perform.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

To be honest, if we go by how they do the OTs in concert, we're probably better off not hearing the absolutely massacred mangled mess that is the Prequel scores in-movie.

TPM the complete intended score is an absolute wonder, highlight after highlight after highlight, and this carries the jumpy OST, too.

In fact, I hope at some point they will move to the next level and start playing some movie scores in their entirety, or almost in their entirety, without the movie, restoring the cues as they were intended and not as they were edited. The score of TPM would probably benefit from such a treatment, as it is full of wonderful pieces. At the end, most of the people who go to the LTP concerts are mainly going to hear the music cues being played live, so it would not be so harmful to just take the movie away!

What the heck, is there an official website for this concert series?  I can't find one!

I mean, there's this: http://www.disneyconcerts.com/concerts/

But it doesn't tell you upcoming dates.

Get your act together, Disney!

I wish they were coming to New England! I've only seen SW so far, I'd love to see TESB and ROTJ

I didn’t know about the CSO Star Wars till it was too late. Too bad; kind of a grail for me. Ah well, maybe I’ll be able to catch Raiders and Empire.

Oh, maybe I can catch Star Wars in Indianapolis! 👍

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I wish they were coming to New England! I've only seen SW so far, I'd love to see TESB and ROTJ

How does Nebraska get this stuff and not New England?

3 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

I didn’t know about the CSO Star Wars till it was too late. Too bad; kind of a grail for me. Ah well, maybe I’ll be able to catch Raiders and Empire.

Oh, maybe I can catch Star Wars in Indianapolis! 👍

Aw man, Raiders with the CSO? That sounds awesome! 

I wonder if the London Symphony Orchestra will return to do Empire next year at the Albert Hall. They’re not touring the UK with Star Wars, understandably. I wonder if they have done any other LTP concerts recently, I don’t recall the LSO being up for these kinda gigs. 

2 hours ago, tmarps said:

I wonder if the London Symphony Orchestra will return to do Empire next year at the Albert Hall. They’re not touring the UK with Star Wars, understandably. I wonder if they have done any other LTP concerts recently, I don’t recall the LSO being up for these kinda gigs. 

I check very regularly in the hope that they announce Empire for next year!

My dream is they say, if you enjoyed that.. come back next year and hear this.... LSO play The Imperial March :)

2 hours ago, aj_vader said:

I check very regularly in the hope that they announce Empire for next year!

My dream is they say, if you enjoyed that.. come back next year and hear this.... LSO play The Imperial March :)

I would definitely try to travel to London to hear that.

5 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

I would definitely try to travel to London to hear that.

I've done that. But I would trave to London to hear them play Attacking a Star Destroyer!

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've done that. But I would trave to London to hear them play Attacking a Star Destroyer!

My skin would burst into thousands of pestules like something out of John Carpenter's The Thing because of how intense my goosebumps would be throughout the whole concert.

I'll be at the Star Wars performance in Boise, ID in September.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:41 AM, tmarps said:

I wonder if they have done any other LTP concerts recently, I don’t recall the LSO being up for these kinda gigs. 

It was not all that recently, but the LSO did four live to picture performances of Ludovic Bource's The Artist at the Royal Albert Hall in December 2013.

On 7/18/2018 at 8:54 AM, Disco Stu said:

He's just a weirdo anti-TLJ partisan.  Can't handle disliking a movie.

Uh. Ok. I just know that, for NYC where this whole thing premiered, TFA was the one that wasn't remotely sold out and barely sold any tickets initially. The newer movies won't sell nearly as much as the OT. And I would argue that TLJ is far more divisive than TFA. So good luck selling tickets to that!

I actually would love to hear the prequels preformed alone, without having to watch the actual films.

7 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Finally booked my flights for November for the RAH. Who else from here is attending the 17th at 8pm? @crocodile?

Correct. Jim Ware, Maurizio, Marian and Christian also appear to be going.

Karol

Just now, crocodile said:

Karol

Cool. A meetup would be nice if people were interested. Even if it is being overshadowed by the JW event a few weeks before that they announced after this and I couldn’t afford 😩

Cool! We can probably arrange something closer to the time. 

I’m not all that crazy but I am Irish! 😩

2 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I'm not all that crazy but I am Irish! 

Nobody's perfect. ;) I'm a Pole which the worst of the worst clearly!

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Aye!

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

I wouldn't mind meet up with a crazy Irishman (and the rest of the merry troupe) for a drink or dozen. ;)

Aye!

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

Nobody's perfect. ;) I'm a Pole which the worst of the worst clearly!

Karol

Poles are ok. 

Its the Australians that are the problem

Hi all,

Just thought I'd pop on to say I was at the special 3 films in 1 day Star Wars performance in Tokyo.

As someone who has been a long time lover to be able to hear all 3 scores live for the first time in 1 day was a magnificent moment.

For the most part the orchestra were heros and the sound produced fitted the cues I know so well. The only criticism points I could have were -

- The Ewok sound effect music wasn't perfect

- There was no "choir" effect for the Emperor's throne room

But apart from that especiall the Cloud City part of ESB was spectacular.

The Orchestra got a loud 5 minute standing ovation at the end for obvious reasons - 10 hours of performance in 1 day.

-mrploddy

Started 11am finished at 09:45pm at night.

The tickets were 32,000 yen and sold out very quickly - they had a special credit card sized ticket - proper embossed like a store card which you put in to a lanyard to make it easy for readmission in the mad rush to get food.

20 minute breaks at the half way points of the film and 90 minute breaks between films.

A recipe for sore posterior.

Not something I was interested in but they were selling a special LP version of A New Hope - is that being sold in the west or Japan only?

Oh it was supremely amazing.

I have wanted to hear things like The Battle of Hoth, Escape from Cloud City, Celebration / End Credits live for a long time. Just to hear the Fox fanfare sent tingles through my body.

Heres a link to a Japanese article with some pictures from the concert hall - https://spice.eplus.jp/articles/200740

They had the new "remastered" versions on sale that have been released recently. But yes for John Williams fans if they had expanded editions on sale they would sell yes.

I guess it's because Disney caters to the average crowd, not the specialty market.

The average crowd doesn't even know there's such a thing as expanded releases, album re-recordings or unreleased music.

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

Disney are absolutely nuts not having an expanded release of the OT available at these concerts. 

Seriously

Should we have a sticky thread for JW live to projection?  For example, Pacific Symphony (a very fine orchestra) is doing ET live to projection on August 18 which I would check out if I hadn't already experienced it.  https://www.pacificsymphony.org/tickets/concert/ET_in_concert

22 hours ago, mrploddy said:

Started 11am finished at 09:45pm at night.

That’s really cool.

This should happen with other serialized live-to-projection shows, too!