STAR WARS - Live To Projection Concerts

TownerFan

15 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I wonder when The Last Jedi performances will be announced? If the Force Awakens concerts are any indication, they'll start performing around December before Episode IX is released.

Has TFA already been performed live to picture ? :) Given they will perform ROTJ and TFA here in March, I think we won’t get TLJ in 2019 😕 

If it's true, then Disney may announce TLJ-L2P concert in April or May (like in MAY the 4th be with you), as they done for their Star Wars Concert Series back in April 2017.

• 1 month later...

Haha, you sneaky bugger @Omen II

The Empire Strikes Back in London (21-23 September). No LSO this time - London Philharmonia and Dirk Brosse will do this one.

Tickets go on sale on Friday at 9am. Unless you're a patron, of course, in which case it's tomorrow at 10am. :)

Karol 

43 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A fantastic orchestra!

Are they good, because i have a recording of the planets and they are okay. I'm just gutted because it's been my dream to hear the LSO do Empire live. When they did A New Hope last year i couldn't believe it. 

If the TSO did Empire you wouldn't believe it anyway!

On 1/5/2019 at 3:06 PM, crumbs said:

Can't speak for the rest of the world but we had TFA in Melbourne at the end of 2017. 

That's nothing. We had it in 2013.

2 hours ago, aj_vader said:

LPO!? not LSO!?

Neither, actually!  The Philharmonia and the London Philharmonic Orchestra are two completely different orchestras, although both are based at London's Royal Festival Hall.  The LSO, the LPO and the Philharmonia are the top three orchestras in London and are amongst the finest in the world.  Think of them as the top three teams in the Premier League vying for top spot!

https://www.philharmonia.co.uk/orchestra/about

The Philharmonia has a long history of recording film soundtracks since the 1940s for the likes of Miklos Rozsa, Maurice Jarre, Alan Rawsthorne, Ralph Vaughan Williams, James Newton Howard, George Fenton, Brian Tyler and many more.  I have attended several film music concerts given by the Philharmonia and the musicianship has always been excellent, for example in a concert of music from Spielberg films a couple of years ago where there were several John Williams selections.  It might not be the LSO but we are in safe hands with the Philharmonia.

Just now, Omen II said:

Neither, actually!  The Philharmonia and the London Philharmonic Orchestra are two completely different orchestras, although both are based at London's Royal Festival Hall.  The LSO, the LPO and the Philharmonia are the top three orchestras in London and are amongst the finest in the world.  Think of them as the top three teams in the Premier League vying for top spot!

The Philharmonia has a long history of recording film soundtracks since the 1940s for the likes of Miklos Rozsa, Maurice Jarre, Alan Rawsthorne, Ralph Vaughan Williams, James Newton Howard, George Fenton, Brian Tyler and many more.  I have attended several film music concerts given by the Philharmonia and the musicianship has always been excellent, for example in a concert of music from Spielberg films a couple of years ago where there were several John Williams selections.  It might not be the LSO but we are in safe hands with the Philharmonia.

Thank you. You have sold it to me. I'm going. 

By the way, among the more recent albums using London Philharmonia is John Powell's Hubris. I think it was actually first performed by them as well during the premiere.

I might be wrong here but I think Vaughan Williams used the group for Scott of the Antarctic back in 1948. I adore this score.

Karol

I'm on board as well! Decided to go with a stall seat close to the stage for maximum orchestra observation. Looking forward to September!

On 2/19/2019 at 11:05 PM, crocodile said:

By the way, among the more recent albums using London Philharmonia is John Powell's Hubris. I think it was actually first performed by them as well during the premiere.

Thanks for the reminder - that's an incredible piece and marvelously performed recording :)

Intermission here for ROTJ. For now it’s the least entertaining of all but it’s always a pleasure to hear JW music live :) 

Édit : I do have one question. I see TFA tomorrow and I wonder if the male choir for snoke will be there. To those who attended TFA Ltp , was it in the mix or a live choir ? 

I attended the SW:TFA-L2P in Washington, DC last week.  There was no chorus on the stage with the orchestra, but there were choir sounds coming out through the speakers-either from the film mix or from a digital keyboard.

Intermission ! Solid first part except for the strings at the beginning when the three small vessels come from behind the big ship. They were running behind and it was showing. But it’s the only mistake I’ve noticed in 4 concerts :) 

This concert was great. The resistance arriving on Maz planet alone is worth the money 😛 

Here is how I would rank these LTP concerts : ESB > ANH > TFA > ROTJ

And If I might add, TFA IS WAY better than ROTJ ;)

On 3/3/2019 at 9:22 AM, toothless said:

This concert was great. The resistance arriving on Maz planet alone is worth the money 😛 

Here is how I would rank these LTP concerts : ESB > ANH > TFA > ROTJ

And If I might add, TFA IS WAY better than ROTJ ;)

Jedi step and Lukes reveal at the end must've been amazing

I wish they'd hurry up and announce The Last Jedi already! 

I'm guessing they'll coincide those concerts in the lead up to IX. It was so good seeing TFA with the MSO one week out from the premiere of TLJ. The perfect entree! 

3 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

Jedi step and Lukes reveal at the end must've been amazing

True! And so was the rendition of rey's theme in the end credit.

One thing though, I was sad they removed the smal ending of the end credit to replace it with a more bombastic ending (even though it wraps the concert effectively).

I can't even remember what the MSO did at the end. I think they prefer the concert ending generally because otherwise people just start clapping before it's over (like most times Williams conducts it, they applause before the final rendition of Luke's Theme :(

The end credits music cue for the L2P concert version of SW:TFA was, also,  shorter than the film version.  If one were to sync this L2P concert version of the end credit music cue to the theatrical version of the end credits, the L2P concert version would end before the film version would.  This would mean that the end credits on the screen would speed-up—increase the duration—so that the music and the credits would end at the same time.   

This was done the same way for the end credits in the Jurassic Park L2P concerts where Williams replaced the music for the end-credit-film-version with his public concert version, which was shorter.

In this YouTube except of the RAH performance of a JP-L2P concert, this concert version of the end credits ends at the 8:04 mark, but notice the credit-roll continuing.

In the 5:24 mark of this except from a later JP-L2P concert, the music ends at the end of the “Amblin” logo clip.

Getting back to SW:TFA-L2P concert,  the Lucasfilm logo clip and the Bad Robot logo clip were not displayed after the end credits were finished when I saw this in DC.

Also worth noting the TFA presentations use the extended version of the credits, as it appears on home video (with the concert version of March of the Resistance edited in).

21 hours ago, crumbs said:

Also worth noting the TFA presentations use the extended version of the credits, as it appears on home video (with the concert version of March of the Resistance edited in).

But the extended version had a less satisfying rendition of rey's theme right ? And I'm sure I heard the theatrical rendition.

The BD uses the full Rey's Theme concert arrangement IIRC. (And the film take of Scherzo for X-Wings, but without the film edits)

On 1/5/2019 at 9:52 AM, SyncMan said:

If it's true, then Disney may announce TLJ-L2P concert in April or May (like in MAY the 4th be with you), as they done for their Star Wars Concert Series back in April 2017.

Since no one corrected me on this, I thought I'd do so publicly.  DisneyConcerts announced the Star Wars Concert Series in February 2017, not April.  All I had to do was read the date of the first post of this thread. Duh!

That means that DisneyConcerts didn't stick with the same pattern by not announcing a new Star Wars L2P concert on that same time.  However, I still have hope that they can surprise us between now and May the fourth.

I saw this in originaltrilogy.com and I thought I would share it here:  This benefits folks in and around the Indianapolis, IN area.

image.png

https://www.indianapolissymphony.org/event-detail/star-wars-empire?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3-13-19SWPush&utm_content=version_A&uid=639352&sourceNumber=0

In  ISO’s upcoming 2019/20 season, they are doing SW:ROTJ this September 27, 28, 29.  Play your cards right, and wait a while, you may get a discount days before that concert, too.  They did a similar offer for SW:ANH back in November where you get 20% off the ticket price just days before that concert took place.

image.png

• 1 month later...

ok was looking for this thread

Went to this concert last night in  Montreal (STAR WARS A NEW HOPE)  .Amazing .

I think this was  an overall better experience than Jurassic Park

Dialogue could have been more quiet though

I hope TESB comes to Montreal

Columbia-Artists, not DisneyConcerts. How come DisneyConcerts seemed so receptive in giving the concert rights away for this SW film?

Those of you who want to buy tickets for a Star Wars L2P concert during the 2019-20 Season and not go through this 'subscription' s**t (where you have to buy 4-6 concerts in one purchase), I'm finding a few venues that are selling them to the general public now, as a 'Star Wars Day' promotion.

So, far...

New Jersey Symphony 

Baltimore Symphony

St. Louis Symphony Orchestra

Minnesota Symphony--only Wednesday, Oct 2nd

...are selling them now.

Check with the venue/orchestra near you for these deals.  

So, if you want good seats, buy them now.

On 5/4/2019 at 8:50 AM, BrotherSound said:

I can’t find any dates yet, but The Last Jedi will be performed in concert soon: http://columbia-artists.com/?topic=press&prsid=495

0351ECD1-FB04-4928-B8F5-8B28AB08EAB3.jpeg

Finally! This score would sound amazing performed by the MSO and conducted by Nicholas Buc... just saying, @PoggoAOTS :P

Certainly don't envy the musicians though! That first 13 minutes alone would be exhausting to perform live.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2019 at 12:06 PM, crumbs said:

Finally! This score would sound amazing performed by the MSO and conducted by Nicholas Buc... just saying, @PoggoAOTS :P

Certainly don't envy the musicians though! That first 13 minutes alone would be exhausting to perform live.

I'm certainly looking into it. Stay tuned...