JWFAN Members Bottom 10 John Williams scores lists

filmmusic

OK, so that there is no misunderstanding here:

When I say "bottom", i mean the Williams scores you like less, and listen to less.

it doesn't mean that these can be bad scores.

Most of us here know that even the worst Williams score, is many times better than most scores of today.

So, before I write any list, what do you think?

Should this thread remain or maybe it'll cause a lot of controversy and arguments?

Also, I'd say to limit this from eg. 1970 and up because I'm sure most people will include all the early Williams scores.

I thought this would be fun to see what man's "treasure" is another man's "......"! :lol: (figure of speech of course)

edit:

Not in particular order (Sorry, i cheated with the Star Warses):

The lost World

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skull

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

The BFG

Midway

SW: I, II, III (Each has a couple of great themes, but I can't listen to them as a whole)

Sabrina

Monsignor (a great theme, but on the whole....)

Cinderella Liberty (I have to listen to this again to be sure)

46 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

1. Star Wars

2. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

3. Schindler's List

4. The Empire Strikes Back

5. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

6. Jaws

7. Raiders of the Lost Ark

8. Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

9. Jurassic Park

10. Hook

Hey, you don't have to do that, you're already on my blacklist!

I don't own or ever really listen to E.T., Schindler's List, or Hook.  Can't do 10, but due to their popularity those are simply the most pronounced ones I don't really enjoy. 

Along these lines I should also mention stuff like The Fury, 1941, Amistad, Superman, and Tintin (mostly).

I announce that due to the age of some users here, if they mention "E.T." or "Star Wars" on this Top 10, I will not put them on my blacklist.

We have to respect older people.

I'm not counting any of the Johnny Williams scores, because otherwise, they would exclusively populate the list.  

1. Sabrina 

2. Stanley and Iris

3. Always 

4. Amazing Stories: The Mission

5. Heartbeeps

6. Spacecamp

7. 1941

8. The BFG

9. Saving Private Ryan

10. The Accidental Tourist 

I don't consider any of these outright bad scores, just underwhelming in the context of Williams' career.  

20 minutes ago, mstrox said:

5.  Seven Years in Tibet

I listen to the title track from the OST for this one fairly often, but yeah I don't even know the last time I listened to it in full.  And I've never seen the film (I should, Brad Pitt and David Thewlis together sounds great).

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

IN FILM OR ON ALBUM?

I NEVER mean albums.

I don't consider them representative of one composer's efforts. (it's like picking highlights of a Beethoven's Symphony and rearranging them)

Sorry Thor, but i just think albums are in essence film music for the masses.

So, i mean scores on the whole (not necessarily in the film)

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

1. Star Wars

2. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

3. Schindler's List

4. The Empire Strikes Back

5. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

6. Jaws

7. Raiders of the Lost Ark

8. Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

9. Jurassic Park

10. Hook

is this a joke too like in the other thread?

41 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I NEVER mean albums.

I don't consider them representative of one composer's efforts. (it's like picking highlights of a Beethoven's Symphony and rearranging them)

Sorry Thor, but i just think albums are in essence film music for the masses.

So, i mean scores on the whole (not necessarily in the film)

Wait....first you say you don't mean albums, and then you say 'not necessarily in the film'? So which is it?

No particular order and all post-Jaws:

Midway

Sabrina

The Accidential Tourist

Always

Stanley and Iris

Family Plot

Black Sunday

Far and Away

Now it's gonna be difficult:

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull

I'll make my list post 1975 since there's too many in the early 70's I'd include

Saving Private Ryan

Minority Report

War of the Worlds

Presumed Innocent

The River

Sleepers

Rosewood

Stepmom

The Lost World

Missouri Breaks

51 minutes ago, Thor said:

Wait....first you say you don't mean albums, and then you say 'not necessarily in the film'? So which is it?

I mean the complete score, not necessarily in conjuction with the film (meaning , not how it works in the film).

(by album, I'm sure you meant the original non expanded osts. So I said, i definitely don't mean those)

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I mean the complete score, not necessarily in conjuction with the film (meaning , not how it works in the film).

(by album, I'm sure you meant the original non expanded osts. So I said, i definitely don't mean those)

No, to me it doesn't matter if it's the original OST or the expanded version. Sitting down and listening to film music on your stereo is a totally different experience to me than evaluating how a score works in a movie. Two different worlds, even (one primarily appealing to my music interest, the other to my film interest). So I cannot 'converge' these things into one single list. But I could make two different lists, of course, like I did in the 'best of' thread.

6 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I don't own or ever really listen to E.T., Schindler's List, or Hook.  Can't do 10, but due to their popularity those are simply the most pronounced ones I don't really enjoy. 

Along these lines I should also mention stuff like The Fury, 1941, Amistad, Superman, and Tintin (mostly).

I find myself increasingly unimpressed by Images and Rosewood (barring Look Down, Lord) as well.

12 hours ago, king mark said:

I'll make my list post 1975 since there's too many in the early 70's I'd include

Saving Private Ryan

Minority Report

War of the Worlds

Presumed Innocent

The River

Sleepers

Rosewood

Stepmom

The Lost World

Missouri Breaks

Many scores you chose are non-typical for Williams, depressing and/or very sinister, oddly sounding ones. Especially War of the Worlds, Sleepers, Presumed Innocent and The Lost World.

11 hours ago, publicist said:

Well, d'oh. Hollywood might be a snake pit but it offers Williams a much more varied playground than what he would be allowed under the KM fan rule.

Yes, he's an idiot.

It's fitting that The Lost World, Amazing Stories: The Mission, Minority Report and Always show up in these lists as they're among my favorites.

In reverse chronological order, post-Jaws:

1. The BFG

2. The Book Thief

3. The Adventures Of Tintin

4. Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

5. Chamber Of Secrets

6. Attack Of The Clones

7. Sorcerer's Stone

8. Always

9. Sabrina

10. Midway

1. Always

2. The Lost World: Jurassic Park

3. Hook

4. Amazing Stories: The Mission

5. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

6. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

7. Jaws

8. Return of the Jedi (OST)

9. Superman: The Movie

10. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

I haven't even heard that one. But I hear it isn't very good. 

I will check it out for myself at some point. Something tells me I might actually like it...

I mean, I like "America, the Dream Goes On," which everyone else seems to hate (except for loert). 

14 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

(1)  Thomas and the King

(2)  Thomas and the King

(3)  Thomas and the King

(4)  Thomas and the King

(5)  Thomas and the King

(6)  Thomas and the King

(7)  Thomas and the King

(8)  Thomas and the King

(9)  Thomas and the King

(10)  Thomas and the King

Not to be overly technical, but is this really a "score."

OK, I'll have to give this a go.

Unlike most others, my list would actually NOT be full of 50s and 60s titles, since I love a lot of that stuff. A couple of clunkers in that period, though, that would no doubt have made the list.

But to keep with the rules, these are my least favourite Williams scores from 1970 onwards, as music-in-films. I may have any number of issues with these, ranging from major to minor.

1. A Timeless Call 

2. 1941

3. The Book Thief 

4. Fiddler on the Roof

5. The Sugarland Express

6. SpaceCamp

7. Heartbeeps

8. Family Plot

9. The BFG

10. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Several of these have some good stuff too, but in an overall evaluation of how the music resonates with the story or visuals, the issues are present.

I also have to make another list. These are my least favourite Williams scores, as musical experiences on album. Again, there are good things in all of these, but the overall musical reward is limited:

1.The Book Thief

2. The Sugarland Express (OK, no album yet, but I have the boot)

3. The Poseidon Adventure

4. Midway

5. Family Plot

6. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

7. The BFG

8. The Adventures of Tintin

9. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

10. SpaceCamp

Or something like that. As you can see, plenty of post-2005 scores, as I think this is his weakest period so far (except WAR HORSE)

Scrolling down on my website, so mostly in chronological year of album release... Film scores only... I have generally little or no interest at all for the TV stuff.

So I don't own these albums, but probably listen them at least once... but I have no desire at all of listening to them another time soon.

Of course, I can't whistle the themes of anyone of those.

Images

Earthquake

The Paper chase

The Poseidon adventure

A Guide for the Married Man

Heartbeeps

John Goldfarb, Please Come Home

The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing

Bachelor Flat

None but the brave

So much hate on TFA and Tintin, how dare you! You maniacs!

Anyways, in no particular order -there always one or two tracks on these scores that spark my interest, because most of the time this is very well written music, but for whatever reason it doesn't grab me from beggining to end...

- The BFG 

- Earthquake / Poseidon Adventure / Towering Inferno (never quite got the love for the main title for this last one in particular)

- The Cowboys (generally I find Williams' americana westerns to be largely unimpressive and boring, apart from Missouri Breaks but that's another whole beast)

- The River

- Home Alone (both) - and by extension the first two Potter scores when they channel that sound

- Amistad (apart from Sierra Leone and some other track which I dig a lot, I really hate how eclectic it is. I mean, there are lots of eclectic JW scores out there, two which I love that are JP and POA but this one... sheesh... I don't know, it just doesn't flow)

- Stepmom (the cringe is real)

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

- The BFG 

- Earthquake / Poseidon Adventure / Towering Inferno (never quite got the love for the main title for this last one in particular)

- The Cowboys (generally I find Williams' americana westerns to be largely unimpressive and boring, apart from Missouri Breaks but that's another whole beast)

- The River

- Home Alone (both) - and by extension the first two Potter scores when they channel that sound

- Amistad (apart from Sierra Leone and some other track which I dig a lot, I really hate how eclectic it is. I mean, there are lots of eclectic JW scores out there, two which I love that are JP and POA but this one... sheesh... I don't know, it just doesn't flow)

- Stepmom (the cringe is real)

- The BFG: um, ok

- Earthquake / Poseidon Adventure / Towering Inferno (never quite got the love for the main title for this last one in particular): TTI is hugely overrated, Earthquake great fun

- The Cowboys (generally I find Williams' americana westerns to be largely unimpressive and boring, apart from Missouri Breaks but that's another whole beast) were there any beyond The Cowboys?

- The River it's not wholly successful but has lovely parts - and is one of the increasingly rare post-SW instances of a different Williams

- Home Alone (both) - and by extension the first two Potter scores when they channel that sound while they can become overkill, especially in their overt sweetness, i would rate them as prime examples of Williams' russian style; not liking this basically means not liking huge parts of his whole output

- Amistad (apart from Sierra Leone and some other track which I dig a lot, I really hate how eclectic it is. I mean, there are lots of eclectic JW scores out there, two which I love that are JP and POA but this one... sheesh... I don't know, it just doesn't flow) sort of, though there still are at least some respectable highlights

- Stepmom (the cringe is real) it's boring but not in an unpleasant way, still, yes

1 hour ago, publicist said:

were there any beyond The Cowboys?

Yes, many. Williams has done several westerns and obviously done several non-westerns with loads of traditional, coplandesque Americana. In fact, it's probably the sound he's done the most over the years. I love it myself, although there have been a few occasions where it's either overblown (A TIMELESS CALL) or a bit on the boring, 'autopilot' side (LINCOLN).

16 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

Those who voted The Lost World to their bottom ten JW scores share their taste in art with Caledon Hockley. Put a pistol in your mouth.

You're talking that voted E.T.?? :o

:P

edit: Wait, is your list a joke too? Becuase you also have Lost World.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha. I expected that response. By applying your own rules and way of doing things, you're definitely consistent with your personality.

Thor, I'm not sure if your Fiddler on the Roof also is eligible.

I mean, is there any original score in this with new themes?

I thought this was only a score adaptation.

15 hours ago, Bespin said:

Of course, I can't whistle the themes of anyone of those.

Heartbeeps

Heartbeeps has some of the most whistable themes of Williams..

Although on the verge of being simplistic (contrary to simple) in my opinion.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Thor, I'm not sure if your Fiddler on the Roof also is eligible.

I mean, is there any original score in this with new themes?

I thought this was only a score adaptation.

It's been at least 15 years since I saw the movie last, but I do seem to remember a few stretches with Williams score that was not based on Bock's material. My issue with this has always been that it feels OVER-orchestrated, so it's not really an issue with composition.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Crimebuster always gets his Man!

Yeah, I think this is one of the most simplistic Williams themes of his career (the A part, not the middle section)

And it always reminds me (its first phrase) of this 1961 Greek Song (0.16''-0.20'')(when I first heard the theme I tried to find where else I had listened to it again).

21 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Okay, thanks, I found the relevant definition:

:  success in obtaining something (as money or drugs) especially through illegal or irregular means

Or maybe it's this:

: a line (as a scratch or incision) made with or as if with a sharp instrument